Fordmods Logo

v8 5.7l holden injectors on a eb 4.0l? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: v8 5.7l holden injectors on a eb 4.0l?
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FALCON

SA, Australia

will these fit
anyone done this before?

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

The answer is ...why????

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Not 100% sure but I think they run very similar injectors so may fit. You will need to modify the EEC though to cope with the larger injectors. But as nightstalker said, why? Are you running a turbo?

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FALCON

SA, Australia

no, just got them cheap and mine are shot so i thort y notb

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EBII_93 wrote:
no, just got them cheap and mine are shot so i thort y notb

Problem if that you need EEC mods to run them which will be expensive.

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:08 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I hope you got them cheap because they are 775 Blue tops which are suprise suprise Magna injectors. They are only worth about $30ea 2nd hand. Also unless you are making more than 160rwhp you don't need larger injectors even then you can band-aid it by upping the reg pressure to ~190rwhp.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:03 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

To my knowledge of the ECU, and the only way it controls the injectors is by pulse width... if the other sensors in the engine are indicating that the mixture is too rich it would just shorten the pulse width.. am I correct???

So, really, injector size wouldn't make to much of a difference, if any as it will only inject as much fuel as it needs for clean combustion.

The only reason I could see its downfall if the mixture is still rich @ at the ECUs shortest pulse width... but that would be pushing extreme injector specs..

Or am I just talking out my a**??? :lol:

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Lukieman wrote:
To my knowledge of the ECU, and the only way it controls the injectors is by pulse width... if the other sensors in the engine are indicating that the mixture is too rich it would just shorten the pulse width.. am I correct???

So, really, injector size wouldn't make to much of a difference, if any as it will only inject as much fuel as it needs for clean combustion.

The only reason I could see its downfall if the mixture is still rich @ at the ECUs shortest pulse width... but that would be pushing extreme injector specs..

Or am I just talking out my a**??? :lol:

If only it was that simple.

The EEC has limits as to how far it can compensate. It can't even keep a good mixture on my EF 4L with 24lb/hr injectors!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thats it, ithe EEC only has enough adjustment in it to compensate for small things like temp, Barometric Pressure changes, engine wear etc. It can not adjust for larger injectors.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Add to that it only adjusts while in closed loop mode, after all without feedback it doesn't know it needs to adjust.

Closed loop is enabled after you have been 'cruising' for a time period. The definition of 'cruising' and the time are not well defined in any of the manuals.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

raiki wrote:
Add to that it only adjusts while in closed loop mode, after all without feedback it doesn't know it needs to adjust.

Closed loop is enabled after you have been 'cruising' for a time period. The definition of 'cruising' and the time are not well defined in any of the manuals.

Good call. Even if EEC could adjust pulse width by that much in closed loop, as soon as the foot went to the floor it would revert to open loop maps and assume that stock injectors were present.

AFAIK injector size is a scalar figure within EEC maps and hence, if you could change that one value, the rest should take care of itself. If only we could change that one value....

BTW Adrian from what ive seen through HEGO output, closed loop mode kicks in after seconds as opposed to minutes, of course startup takes some time depending on ambient temp. Sometimes after healthy amount of boost it can take 20sec to revert back to closed loop, sometimes HEGO starts switching immediately after foot comes of throttle.... ?!?!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

raiki wrote:

Yeah thats another good point, it only adjusts in closed loop. BTW closed loop is the default of the EEC and will run in it until engine load exceeds 75% or throttle position is above 2.5V (from memory) for a time of 2 seconds, then the EEC goes into open loop.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Yeah thats another good point, it only adjusts in closed loop. BTW closed loop is the default of the EEC and will run in it until engine load exceeds 75% or throttle position is above 2.5V (from memory) for a time of 2 seconds, then the EEC goes into open loop.

Thats kinda right because it will look at the MAP sensor as its primary load sensor. When it goes above a certian kpa it rolls over to open loop. All the TPS is used for is for acceleration fuel enrichment and some timing functions. The only time the TPS would be a primary load sensor is when you tune in Alpha-N, meaning the ecu only works on values based on TPS and RPM. Alpha-N is virtually racing car stuff.

I know this because I use Kalmaker/Delco which is very similar in function to EECV.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Actually on the Ford EECIV & V, if either the TPS value or load calcualtions (either via MAP or MAF) go over the specified amount, the EEC will go into open loop. On my setup, I mainly use the TPS value to trigger open loop, not load calculations.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

on the EEC's, isnt load based on MAP, TPS and RPM ?

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next