Fordmods Logo

VIPER CAR ALARM IN an EF Falcon? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: VIPER CAR ALARM IN an EF Falcon?
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

Hey guys, i tried researching and didnt come up with much so im hoping someone could help me.

as we all know the Smartlock on the EF falcons are pretty useless these days against car jackings. and i have heard some crazy stories so i decided i would rather be safe then sorry and decidet to look into an aftermarket system. i have a price limmit of 300-400$ for a new security system and i was looking at the VIPER 5901.

just a few questions, i wont be installing this myself as im a novice when it comes to electronics. but would it be possible to get this installed with the original BCM/Smartlock?
I was told by a mate smartlock would have to be disabled with the remote start function.
i have a J3 chip and im certain i read somewhere you can use the J3chip to disable the smartlock? is this true?
and if so would it do anything crazy, eg: engine wont start right, keys wont work... etc.

im still doing some research for a good security system and for more info, so if anyone has any ideas or knows some top quality systems please do tell!

thanks 8-)

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Post subject: Re: VIPER CAR ALARM IN an EF Falcon?
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Anyone??

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Do you really need remote start? It is a cool function but for the effort that may be required to have it wired in (especially if you're paying someone cause I would charge a lot to figure it out) it may not be worth it.

There is no harm keeping smart lock working and just installing your alarm to complement it. From there, you can immobilise what you choose then have other features that may interest you such as GPS tracking, GSM voice dialing you to tell you of any alarms/triggers etc. Also can do things like "listen in" to your car or talk to anyone who may be in your car via your mobile phone. But, do we need all these things? It's up to you. I reckon for most thieves, a loud siren because of a impact/shock detected will deter.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Do you really need remote start? It is a cool function but for the effort that may be required to have it wired in (especially if you're paying someone cause I would charge a lot to figure it out) it may not be worth it.

There is no harm keeping smart lock working and just installing your alarm to complement it. From there, you can immobilise what you choose then have other features that may interest you such as GPS tracking, GSM voice dialing you to tell you of any alarms/triggers etc. Also can do things like "listen in" to your car or talk to anyone who may be in your car via your mobile phone. But, do we need all these things? It's up to you. I reckon for most thieves, a loud siren because of a impact/shock detected will deter.

remote start isnt really necessary, it would be cool tho. im more worried about the central locking, is it possible to have the central locking connected to the alarm so everytime i unlock the car i dont have to use the key pad to de-alarm it aswell? like splice into the central locking wires and connect it to the alarm module? or will that just stuff everything up. my original keypad is stuffed and 50$ for an ebay knock off isnt worth the money so im also wondering if i could use the keypad the alarm system has to unlock the car?
ive decided not to go with all the bells and whistles like remote-start just to make life more easier and less expensive.

sorry about all the questions, im new to the electrical/alarm systems and just want as much info before i throw away 300$ or more on an alarm system.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

There is a member on here called DarkElxr6 or something similar... or his mate Lbro (Dave and Sam respectively) they fiitted a viper alarm with remote start into Dave's EL. Pretty sweet.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Most people tend to install alarms that come with its own remotes so that is no problem. You can even also lock/unlock your car by your phone if you lose your keys lol.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

unlock my car with a phone? how would that work?? but that would be pretty cool! 8-)
so it would be safe to say the factory locks can be wired up to the aftermarket alarm system with out much drama from the BCM? because thats the only major thing im worried about..

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Should be, just use -ve trigger setup.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi. No problem doing factory locking on after market alarm as long as alarm has on board relays because a transistor cant sink quite enough current to tell the locking what to do. We did heaps at work years ago but not many now days. if the car has an interior light delay they can put a diode in the door switch wiring in the loom where it runs beside the drivers seat which will stop any error chirps. Cheers MD

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

okay, thanks heaps for the info guys! its helped heaps! :D

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Here is something i found on Ebay, it does everything that the Viper system does only alot cheaper. i often purchase things from this seller and im very pleased with there products so i know i can trust them. but what do you guys think about this alarm system? any suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-CRIMEFIGHTER-OLED-FSK-2-Way-Remote-Start-Car-Alarm-/380212179489?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5886697221

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]