Water injection????? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Water injection?????
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

Ok I have a friend who has a small injector just after the air filter injecting water into the engine??? Now I have heard of alcohol injection which is pretty much the same set-up…. But water???? So I done some research on the trusty net and found that “apparently” water injection increases power out put. (doesn’t say how much or what damage it may/may not do) not ive been looking around on here to see if anyone has done it but I found nothing…. So long story short has any of you guys done something similar on your falcon??? Or any other vehicle??? And what benefits/ drawbacks are there???? Oh and if anyone has seen a forum on this please post the address!!! Thanks :wink:

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Post subject: Re: Water injection?????
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

very rusty exhaust, pistons, maybe poor AF ratios or damage to the oxy? the idea is to kinda make it in to a bit of a steam engine too. but the effects are a bit negated. you'll see liquid coming out of cold cars in the morning. thats condensed water from the engine squeezing it (amongst other things)

look up six stroke engine.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

water injection done properly can be useful.... cleans the combustion chamber.. it's anti detonation properties means you can wide the timing forwards for more power...

have a read of this:

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Water-Injection/A_107970/article.html

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hmmm..... thanks frank, that was the information i was looking for. really dont think ill be doing this to my car tho..... im still pretty intrested to see if anyone has done it on here????

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

there was a heap of people doing stuff with h2o gas, like hydrogen separators and stuff. a fair few got on about it all actually. It was interesting stuff but none of them ever got any testing done to varify any of it.

And now they're all gone?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yeah i may have seen something like that a while back....

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hey i just relized this is in the worng thred... sorry.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Wrong thread but thought I'd comment...water injection works unbelievably well! Only suited to forced induction applications really. I can't understand why more of the psi guys don't use it.

I inject pre and post supercharger on my car. Cools intake temps and eliminates detonation, as well as other benefits. Has to be setup properly though, and can be a bit finicky.

Google 'rice racing' for info or see http://www.waterinjection.info/

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah, I have plans to use water injection after my charger with my water to air setup, if the air temps indicate it's necessary...

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA, EB GT kit, AU XR6 HP engine

QLD, Australia

The street fords magazine guys did it to their EB 5 liter which is n/a. Said he could push it harder for a few more laps as it helped keep temps down.

EA Fairmont, EB GT kit w/o wing, AU XR6 HP engine, 17's lol Buy it
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0628130825

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Interesting.

When my Garrett turbo setup was dealer fit to a torana back in the 70's it had a water injection setup on it, as it wasn't intercooled, to allow it to run harder on standard pump petrol. I've changed the setup to LPG, which has a higher octane rating, so i'm not sure if i'll need it or not. I'll find out when i get it running again. Previously running a 45DCOE weber & 98 ron premium i didn't require the water injection, but with it i did notice a slight increase in power. Probably due to cooler intake temps.

With my mighty boy, i'm going to be using water injection as well as a fmic (which can't be big, very space limited) to keep it's intake temps down.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

well it stops pinging... or at least contributes.. so if you had the setup and your at the track or strip.. turn it on and wind forward the timing for some extra advance... usually gets you more power.....

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

When I had only pre-supercharger injection, intake temps dropped dramatically (from 68 degrees down to around 45 degrees) but the engine would still ping. Didn't matter how much water/meth I put through it, and I tried some big jets, it would still ping.

Three weeks ago I reduced the size of the pre-supercharger jet, and added a medium sized jet between supercharger and throttle. The difference is amazing....the ping I would get on a 10 degree morning on boost, is now not there when boosting at midday at 25 degrees! The engine is smooth, happy, revving cleanly, making good power, etc. Couldn't believe a $30 jet could fix a problem i've had for 12 months!

From what I've seen water injection do on my engine, I'm surprised more forced induction guys don't run it. Added to an already well setup engine will allow more boost, timing advance and/or leaner afr's, if the engine is tuned for the water/meth. Alternatively, a small jet fitted to an engine without tuning for it would allow the owner to drive like a madman all day, regardless of air temps, etc!

Obviously I'm impressed. Hope some more start playing around with it!

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

so are results only made with Boosted apps????
i can see that it would cool down air temps alot if your engine is boosted....
are there any longterm side-effects???

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Best results are with boosted applications. WI is sometimes used on very high compression NA engines...eg. where detonation is likely to become a problem. But this is not common.

Long term side effects are a very clean engine without buildups. When diagnosing a head gasket issue my engine tuner used a boroscope to look for issues and commented on how clean the inside of the engine was.

Some people have had impeller wear from pre-turbo water injection. I suspect this would be to do with the setup....too much water, or water which is not atomised properly. I've run water injection pre-supercharger for 6 years, and removed and sold that impeller in perfect condition when I upgraded impellers...and my setup wasn't ideal for much of that time. I think that a small jet with a good pump will not damage an impeller....its more likely in these situations that something else has done the damage and its been blamed on water injection.

Joe

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next