Fordmods Logo

What's with people suddenly tuning their own cars? 

Page 5 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: What's with people suddenly tuning their own cars?
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
whats next??
whats with people suddenly changing there own wheels or
whats with people suddenly washing there own cars??

if your not qualified your wheel might fall of or you might scatch your paint with your sponge because a professional didn't do it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course. :D

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

What is with people suddenly brushing their own teeth. I mean, surely you should be a dentist to do that.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

Imagine if turnip was more than a turnip tuning twerp the whole world would be a different place turnips for breakfast lunch and dinner

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I brushed my teeth once. But all my teeth fell out anyway.

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
whats next??

if your not qualified your wheel might fall of or you might scatch your paint with your sponge because a professional didn't do it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

next people are gunna try driving the things by themselves too...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
whats next??

next people are gunna try driving the things by themselves too...

why ohh why???

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

What is wrong with this here...

While I have posted a genuine thread asking for some advice.... Basically doing EXACTLY what this site is for.. I get 1 reply and 35 views...

Yet this gets 5 pages of DRIBBLE replys regularly fed to it...

This is fordmods, not Facebook..

EDIT: Just in case anyone is interested...

post1403976.html#1403976

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

El-ghia01 wrote:
You need to be able to control the shift points to match the changes in torque / hp from the mods / tune changes if you can't do that then it's a waste of time, also the converter is a electronic lockup type so that needs to be controlled its like having a 5 th gear so a TI is no good for auto v8, I know about the shift kits from shift kits . Com . Au but its not for me like I said I like the wolf 3d plug and play its a ecu /tcm all in 1 deal, nice clean and straight forward logic thinking

You'd have to be stupid to fit an aftermarket ecu instead of a quarterhorse to an E series V8.

Have you never heard of manually shifting an auto. I can choose to shift gears any rpm i want too and a shiftkit does the shift speed. Why pay 2k for an aftermarket ecu when the qh will do a superior job for a quarter of that cost. I can control things in the ecu that an aftermarket ecu could not even do.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
El-ghia01 wrote:
You need to be able to control the shift points to match the changes in torque / hp from the mods / tune changes if you can't do that then it's a waste of time, also the converter is a electronic lockup type so that needs to be controlled its like having a 5 th gear so a TI is no good for auto v8, I know about the shift kits from shift kits . Com . Au but its not for me like I said I like the wolf 3d plug and play its a ecu /tcm all in 1 deal, nice clean and straight forward logic thinking

You'd have to be stupid to fit an aftermarket ecu instead of a quarterhorse to an E series V8.

Have you never heard of manually shifting an auto. I can choose to shift gears any rpm i want too and a shiftkit does the shift speed. Why pay 2k for an aftermarket ecu when the qh will do a superior job for a quarter of that cost. I can control things in the ecu that an aftermarket ecu could not even do.

when you can control a ferrari with a qh,come and see me

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

El-ghia01 wrote:
NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
El-ghia01 wrote:

Why the feck would you bother doing that. But there are plenty of people who have got Ford Ecu's working on other makes using the qh to modify the tune to work, in theory you could do it to a Ferrari but why the feck would you want too. Just why would you bother removing a factory ECU that can be re-flashed and replace it with a whole new ECU that in theory will not make an extra skerrick of horsepower over what a modified factory ecu will punch out. And the aftermarket ECU will not be able to control every parameter that the factory ECU can. And it would cost a fortune for no extra gain. It's a total WOFTAM.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
El-ghia01 wrote:
NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
El-ghia01 wrote:

Why the feck would you bother doing that. But there are plenty of people who have got Ford Ecu's working on other makes using the qh to modify the tune to work, in theory you could do it to a Ferrari but why the feck would you want too. Just why would you bother removing a factory ECU that can be re-flashed and replace it with a whole new ECU that in theory will not make an extra skerrick of horsepower over what a modified factory ecu will punch out. And the aftermarket ECU will not be able to control every parameter that the factory ECU can. And it would cost a fortune for no extra gain. It's a total WOFTAM.
when you can control a ferrari with a qh,come and see me,no second prizes son

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:32 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The question needs to be asked as to why you would.

But it could be done, all the Ford ECU needs is a set of sensors that match the Ford ones. You'd just have to pick an ECU from a 4.6 modular DOHC engine and tune it to suit the Ferrari with the appropriate sensors fitted. Scaffy on AFF is using a Ford ECU to control an LS1 in an EL, just needed to find Ford compatible sensors to replace the GM ones.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I myself will be stepping to a Haltech in my ED, for one simple reason. Support. In Brisbane, no tuner wants to touch a QuarterHorse or J3, so why would I go that option? Especially when my chosen tuner loves Haltech's current range.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
I myself will be stepping to a Haltech in my ED, for one simple reason. Support. In Brisbane, no tuner wants to touch a QuarterHorse or J3, so why would I go that option? Especially when my chosen tuner loves Haltech's current range.

exactly one of my points

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:28 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

all good points, but if you know how to and are able to do it yourself, why not tune the factory ecu?

in some cars depending on what aftermarket ecu , you still need to keep the factory ecu as piggyback for a/c to operate, tacho signal for cluster ect..

and the factory ecu has more refined tuning which can be more complex but much better in a car that you still want to do all the things it did from factory...

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next