Fordmods Logo

Hyundai Excel & Ford Festiva....common faults? 

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

No.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

best bang for your buck is toyota corolla. Having had festiva's, lasers, excels, daewoo lanos and a corolla in the family i have to say the corolla had better build quality, better performance and better resale value

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Corolla would be ok, but anything before 2000 model looks like a dinosaur, and 2000 models are fetching waay too much.

Weve decided to look for a Mazda 323 Protege 97'...... beautiful little cars & cant complain about the Mazda build quality, plenty of features..... i sound like a car salesman :oops:

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

early hyundai accent!!!!
has the x3 1.5 twin cam which uses a porsche ecu, airbag,power windows
heaps of quality cheap bolt on body/ power mods available,can use excell parts
has mistsi engine, so has heaps of engine options fit wise
lancer,magna? evo?vr4 ?

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

howsie wrote:
best bang for your buck is toyota corolla. Having had festiva's, lasers, excels, daewoo lanos and a corolla in the family i have to say the corolla had better build quality, better performance and better resale value

from memory the x3 excell sprint was runout selling new for 10990 with full kit floor mats,year free insurance ,3 year bumper to bumper warranty
and a holiday
get on car sales ,ebay whatever today over ten years down the track and they still advertise mid km models for 4+grand
what better resale could you want then that!

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Just to follow up on this thread, we ended up with a Mazda 323 Protege late '99 model..... paid only $5600 :) (market value up to $8000)

1.6L DOHC engine
Driver's airbag
6 stack CD player
air-con
power steering
14" alloys
chrome door handles & T-bar button lol
wind up windows :cry:
Plenty boot space.... fits 5 x 16" rims
smooth ride, can launch over speed bumps dont feel a thing :)

Post subject: Re: Hyundai Excel & Ford Festiva....common faults?
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: AU Falcon XRS Wagon

QLD, Australia

I have a 94 Excel and can tell you it is a rocket.
Bought it in Newcastle and it belonged to a member of the Newcastle Lap Cars Club.
It is lowered, chipped, exhausted and kitted.
The car has almost 320000 k's on it now and I have put almost 150 of that on it in 4 years.
The only problems they have are the typical CV joint problem associated with front wheel drives, and they can also have a problem with Temperature sender unit that causes the car to not want to start due to the ECU telling the ECU that the temperature is hot when it isn't and that makes the choke come on when you don't need it.
Easy fix....change it.
If you keep regular sevicing up and do an annual wheel allignment the car will go for ever.
It is also a good idea to use premium grade fuel as that stops a fair bit of carboning up of the plugs...beter explosion less carbon. But that goes for any motor vehicle.
I get about 70 k's more per tank and give a bit of a shock to the commodores at the lights using vortex. teehee

LONG LIVE THE BEAR

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Ok Below is really dangerous. Most OHC Engines with timing belts in fact *are NOT* free reving engines, and the excel is one of them. I took one out (timing belt failure) 2 years ago, belt was at 120000km and booked for replacement a week later.

Instead, cost $1500 to have a mechanic fixed (in sydney, didnt have my tools). That included a ReCo Head as valves etc were bent. I knew it from the interesting noise it made as well.

Some of the earlier engines were free runners (camira is one that comes to mind), but most recent and/or Higher compression engines are in fact interference design. Dont even start to assume no damage will be done. A belt doesnt take much to change, and isnt very expensive

Nigel

Punnisher_42 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
Ok, found a common problem so far.

timing belt failures seem to be common and usually result in damaged valvetrain

Been told these excels need new timing belt every 90,000kms...... not a good sign considering most people wouldnt bother if its running ok

just incase you dont know.
all cars with belt driven cams will need the cam belt changed between every 80,000 and 100,000kms or 10 years..
most people dont worrie or dont know about it ..
thats why they say its a common problem because they usually buy a car with just over 100,000 kms thinking its got low kms! lol but forget or dont know that the cam belt is part of the cars 80 or 100,000km service.and some people only change oil ect. and forget about the rubber belt driving the cam..and more than likely they fail just after they buy the car.

Also should be noted that engines running timing belts are free reving engines which mean that in the event of a belt breaking, the valve train will not collide with the piston because they don't go low enough into the chamber.

Truthfully i would steer clear of both excels and festi's would be more inclined to go to a older model corolla or laser or a nissan over them any day.

I have owned an excel (88 model) the only real fault i could put on it is a very noisy transmission (common) and leaky valve guides (also common) causing blue smoke at startup.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4