Fordmods Logo

Overheated '91 Laser 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Overheated '91 Laser
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

My darling daughter has overheated her '91 carburetted Laser. She rang me saying it was making a horrible noise, I asked her to look at the temp gauge and sure enough it was well in the red. After the RACV bit was done the bottom line was a $1500 quote to fix the very stuffed head gasket. I have decided to have a go at it myself.

Repco valve regrind gasket and seal set $175
Pressure test and skim $120

I'm guessing its an overhead cam so I will have to be careful when I take it off not to lose track of how it lines up at reassembly. The intake and exhaust should be easy enough, I figure. The head itself will be easy enough as long as I torque it up correctly.

Is there anything that anyone knows of that I should look out for. I messed around a bit engines years ago and I think I can do this, but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

make sure the head hasnt gone soft from overheading else it will blow a head gaskit again in less 20,000km

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

if it overheated that much, i woudnt be surprised if the rest of the motor was pretty stuffed.

id just go and get a second hand one from the wreckers. they shouldnt be too expensive.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

alfy wrote:
if it overheated that much, i woudnt be surprised if the rest of the motor was pretty stuffed.

id just go and get a second hand one from the wreckers. they shouldnt be too expensive.

have a look at the bores, if theres no scuffing then it will be ok...

do u trust anything u buy from a wrecker...last head i saw from a wrecker the guy tried to tell me it came off a running motor that he personally tested....yeh right hows that, it had 4 bent valves where they'd hit the pistons

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Cheers,
I'll definitely check the bores, and if they look too bad I'll ring around the wreckers. I'll be hoping the head hasn't been too badly heated. I'll have to get the advice of the machine shop about that I guess.

'97 V8 EL Ghia Webasto 400 sunroof, Tint, Parnell VSI LPG, UPC 330mm brake upgrade (drilled), Pacemaker twin system, T5 conversion (Billet Products shifter)

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

make sure you add a timing belt/pulleys to that list, and while your at it you may as well replace all the hoses and external drive belts.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

xpression wrote:
make sure you add a timing belt/pulleys to that list, and while your at it you may as well replace all the hoses and external drive belts.

Timing belt, check. Thanks for that. My daughter got the manual from the library today so I will have a guide. And lots of photos as I pull it apart :roll:

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 06 Teritory,mod Capri,XE falcon

NSW, Australia

Don't forget thermostat(once overheated,usually stuffed)...water pump ok?

Getting old is a fact,maturing is optional......

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:20 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

ESP wrote:
Don't forget thermostat(once overheated,usually stuffed)...water pump ok?
I would definitely replace the thermostat and waterpump and get the radiator pressure tested and make sure the cooling fans are all working because you don't want to go through the exercise again.there had to be a reason it blew .Kevman.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I'd forgoten about this thread. The job went well although the pistons had grown so much as #1 daughter was overheating it that they had scored the bores. But a very switched on local mechanic honed the block while in the car and since he'd done the righty with the price of that I gave him the job of putting the thing back together. Thanks for the tips folks, I replaced everything you all mentioned and the whole job came to less than $2k including new pistons, valves, etc. etc. etc.... :)

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Secondhand import would be MUCH easier to fix.. Convert to carb.. An overheated engine get too annealed and never comes good even after rebuild.. Rings would shot!!
An import from Japan would be a latter model engine etc..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]