01/96 EF Fairmont Transmission Fluid 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: 01/96 EF Fairmont Transmission Fluid
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Absolute rookie here - be gentle.

I an EF Fairmont, a quick look thru all the receipts in the glovebox suggests it was built Jan '96.

When the engines cold she runs beautifully but once it warms up a bit you can definitely *feel* it change gears pretty reluctantly.

Found an unmarked yellow dipstick towards the left/back under the bonnet and wondering if this is transmission fluid level/I can top it up here. The dipstick just says to check while engine's on & in park and has a cold / hot marking with 'fill 0.5 l' in the middle, and the level is tending towards the dangerously low side.

Also am I gonna want to use ATF 95 LE?/where would one recommend getting fluid as I don't really wanna pay too much more than I have to.

Post subject: Re: 01/96 EF Fairmont Transmission Fluid
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

nahanil wrote:
Absolute rookie here - be gentle.

I an EF Fairmont, a quick look thru all the receipts in the glovebox suggests it was built Jan '96.

When the engines cold she runs beautifully but once it warms up a bit you can definitely *feel* it change gears pretty reluctantly.

Found an unmarked yellow dipstick towards the left/back under the bonnet and wondering if this is transmission fluid level/I can top it up here. The dipstick just says to check while engine's on & in park and has a cold / hot marking with 'fill 0.5 l' in the middle, and the level is tending towards the dangerously low side.

Also am I gonna want to use ATF 95 LE?/where would one recommend getting fluid as I don't really wanna pay too much more than I have to.

Yes, that is the trans dipstick, yes you can fill from there, and yes I believe from memory TQ95 is the correct fluid.

Should be able to pick up a litre bottle from your local Supercheap Auto or similar

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

5h4dy wrote:
Yes, that is the trans dipstick, yes you can fill from there, and yes I believe from memory TQ95 is the correct fluid.

Should be able to pick up a litre bottle from your local Supercheap Auto or similar

Thanks a bunch. Just wanted the heads up from someone who knows what they're on about before pouring the wrong thing down he wrong hole and wreaking havoc.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

nahanil wrote:
5h4dy wrote:

Thanks a bunch. Just wanted the heads up from someone who knows what they're on about before pouring the wrong thing down he wrong hole and wreaking havoc.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations

That stuff there is what Castrol recommend - as with everything, make sure you don't overfill it

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

5h4dy wrote:
That stuff there is what Castrol recommend - as with everything, make sure you don't overfill it

Thanks again mate.
I'll be careful when filling it. Dipstick says "add .5L" but probably err on the side of caution, then check/top up if needed..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]