Fordmods Logo

13.6 out of a nearly stock fg non turbo xr6 

Page 4 of 19 [ 282 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next

Post subject: Re: 14.5 stock quarter mile in my fg xr6
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

phillyc wrote:
brad17djr wrote:
yes sure is i've always used 98 octain
Ford said at the launch of the FG that the standard outputs rose with both 95 & 98 octane.

98 RON was 'over' 200kW / 420Nm

As for the people questioning the torque output. That is because it has a torque convertor. It's function is to multiply the torque output and getting you off the line.

Lower gears get higher rwkw figures as well. This is because there is less rolling road resistance.

The 4th gear is a more accurate reflection for comparing apples to apples.

PS Great times too.

haha nice answer dude, most of this is made up in your head(only place it can make sense)

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

shyun wrote:
If you increase the revs on takeoff you have to increase the torque as well because you're doing the same speed. It's basically the same as having a shorter gear ratio.

its actually nothing like having a shorter gear, because the length of the gear is the same regardless of whether you stall it up or not..

if the dyno read out is done in 3rd or 4th what the f#@k difference does the torque converter make???

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

therse no point getting into arguments about 1:1 ratio through the gearbox as the dif gears will change this in any car...
so technically, its impossible to get the same power reading from one car to another unless every single aspect of the driveline is the same...
even then there are other varibles that come into play.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

Power: 208 rwkw

NSW, Australia

misk_one wrote:
therse no point getting into arguments about 1:1 ratio through the gearbox as the dif gears will change this in any car...
so technically, its impossible to get the same power reading from one car to another unless every single aspect of the driveline is the same...

thank you misk_one, who care's about the power run and final drive ratios the fact is it ran 14.5 and i've actualy got it into 14.4 recently the power run don't mean anything it's how broad and how long and how progressive the power or more importaint torque is and how it's put to the ground that gets good times my car might be a fluke i dunno but she ran what she ran and i have time slips to prove it:)

2 FOR TURNING & 2 FOR BURNING

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 VCT & AU2 XL

NSW, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
phillyc wrote:
brad17djr wrote:
yes sure is i've always used 98 octain
Ford said at the launch of the FG that the standard outputs rose with both 95 & 98 octane.

98 RON was 'over' 200kW / 420Nm

As for the people questioning the torque output. That is because it has a torque convertor. It's function is to multiply the torque output and getting you off the line.

Lower gears get higher rwkw figures as well. This is because there is less rolling road resistance.

The 4th gear is a more accurate reflection for comparing apples to apples.

PS Great times too.

haha nice answer dude, most of this is made up in your head(only place it can make sense)

Perhaps you should learn before offering advice. But since you didn’t I will prove you wrong on each point.

http://www.torque-converter.net/

Quote:
Torque Multiplication Factors
Since torque converters vary considerably in design, the amount of torque multiplication they can achieve also varies with the practical limit being 5:1. The torque multiplications would normally depend on the size of the converter, the number of elements and the piece of equipment the torque converter was designed for.

Quote:
Torque Converter A device in the power train consisting of three or more rotating members, which transmits power through a fluid. It provides varying drive ratios ; with sped reduction, it increases torque

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FG_Falcon
Quote:
The standard FG Falcon engine is a 24-Valve 4.0 Litre in-line-six with VCT; which produces peak power of 195 kW (265 hp) at 6000 rpm and class-leading peak torque of 391Nm. These figures rise to 205 kW (276 hp) and 420Nm on premium 98 octane fuel.

From before the FG was lauched.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/MiniS ... niSiteID=8
Quote:
When running on premium unleaded fuel (95 octane) the 4.0-litre six-cylinder delivers a fraction more power, producing 198kW and 409Nm.

Ford engineers say they have not tested the engine on more expensive 98-octane fuel, but admit the engine would likely produce in excess of 200kW of power.

Apart from my own experience with ECU tuning and chassis dyno runs, you might like to refer to “Four Stroke Performance Tuning” by A.Graham Bell 3rd edition pages 459-460.
Quote:
“All such theories are dead wrong, but don’t despair because a modern eddy current rolling road equipped with a bi-directional strain gauge we can arrive at a pretty accurate figure – providing the methodology is correct. What the operator has to do at the end of each power run is pul the car out of gear and let it run down. Then by measuring the run-down rolling losses and adding them to the power graph we arrive at a graph that will come close to mirroring that from an engine dyno… If you doubt the reliability of this method, try doing a series of rns in three different gears and overlay the graphs with run-down losses added and you will find that they match up pretty well. Measured in the conventional way the graphs would have been all over the shop. Generally the lower the gear the higher the wheel hp. This is due to there being lower rolling losses as there is greatly reduced friction because of less tyre rotations during the power run.”

Sorry to the OP for going off topic, but misinformation and misplaced personal attacks need to be corrected.

I will say it again. 14.5 Nice times!

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

brad17djr wrote:
misk_one wrote:

thank you misk_one, who care's about the power run and final drive ratios the fact is it ran 14.5 and i've actualy got it into 14.4 recently the power run don't mean anything it's how broad and how long and how progressive the power or more importaint torque is and how it's put to the ground that gets good times my car might be a fluke i dunno but she ran what she ran and i have time slips to prove it:)
It's no fluke. Motor had an FG XR6 run mid 14s. They are a quick car with the 5spd - like my neighbour and workmates - but the ZF 6spd i can only imagine. Yet to drive and FG ZF, but I liked the ZF in the BF2.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

brad17djr wrote:
i think the brand is dynolog but true dyno's lie but on the same day a ba gt manual made 186rwkw stock

Interesting that a 290kw engine gets 186rwkw loss of 104kw approx 30% and the FG XR6 190 approx KW engine gives 160rwkw loss of 30kw, less than 15% loss, F... Me I want that drive train. Just seems a bit hard to accept when normal loss is approx 30%, 190kw engine, 135-140rwkw. I do apologise if I have the KW rating of your engine wrong but I do believe it is around there.

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Just cracked 13.990@100mph with the exhuast time for a lsd i think:)

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

brad17djr wrote:

Thats awesome mate, you would be giving quite alot of v8's a fair hiding now

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

cheers yer they don't like it at all haha ford freak was there to tonight so he can back me up:)

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: el xr6, r33 series 2 skyline

Power: 149 rwkw

SA, Australia

deffs puts its power to the ground well like the series 1 vn v6 they would get 6.5sec 0-100 stock after a few months in production the cars 0-100 went to 9.5secs ( to many crashes with the first lot)

is it possible to get a fg xr6 to a 13.5?

God made s**t, Holden put wheels on it

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

brad17djr wrote:

and for anyone doubting the power, there's a big f**k you! Very well done mate, congrats on cracking into the 13's with a mild N/A FG XR6!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

that's a awesome time, good on you mate, keep trying for better i say

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

brad17djr wrote:

Awesome stuff Brad! Well done :)

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

great time was going to head done last and run my ute but was to tried, 2hrs down and back with 6.30am stars dont work for me...

phill

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 19  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next