Fordmods Logo

2.5" or 3" zorst 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 2.5" or 3" zorst
Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

Im wondering if its worth going a 3" mandrel bent system on my el. Atm ive got pacey 4480s, 200cell cat and a 2.5" system with 1 muffler. Ive got a bigger cam and head work aswell. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: 2.5" or 3" zorst
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

With the mods you have the 3" would be good but you wouldn't have much bottom end. Most 3" systems I've seen are used for turbo or supercharged applications. The 2.5" system is my personal option but if I were to turbo my lane I'd go with a 3" system.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

So not really worth it then, sounds mint atm anyway

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Unless your going forced induction not really. My fairlane has 2.5" system and that has 3 mufflers kind of quiet so I'm going to remove the middle one and see how that goes. But when I do go forced induction my system is still good for a smallish turbo. What are your future plans for it?

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Its only worth it if your looking for every last kilowatt. It will be quite loud aswell.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

You wont lose bottom end - thats a myth. I fitted up a quickie 3" system - which was too loud for my taste - I had the choice of trying to quiet it (without cancelling the point of it by choking it that was gonna cost a bit) - or for similar or less money chucking a 2.5 that had similar (minimal) muffling but definitely quieter.

I went with the 2.5 and DID NOTICE A SLIGHT DROP IN PERFORMANCE. Not much but the engine definitely felt to spin up a bit easier with the 3 inch.

Putting the 3" on made a HUGE difference in the first place of course - but that's because it was replacing factory 2 1/4 system... And in the bottom end the 3" DEFINITELY sh it on the factory setup...

I regret not working on the 3 inch now - but the money's spent. Will revisit the 3" sometime in future.

Bearing in mind I have a JMM cam that takes 3.4mm shims on top of the factory ones.

My personal take on it is that there's no negative performance issue with 3" - and indeed there's a potential improvement overhead - so REAL issue is only cost, note and loudness.

Here's a clip of my EF with the 3 inch being driven away down the street - turn ur volume up to hear it good - this is a GENTLE takeoff - with some pedal it was L O U D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHbp_FXHB0Y

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]