3.9 Cam Variations 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: 3.9 Cam Variations
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Hey i am just wonderin is there cams out the to suit the ea and eb 1 3.9 head as i own a eb 3.9 and it is a low km engine 154thou kms and wondering are there cams out there.. i am really after a cam that would give more alleration and i don't really care

if it gives toruque etc etc just after one that would give a noticable increase in alleration,,,, not sure what are out there and not really upto scratch with themm.. the cam i would want to purchase i would want to pay get it and my father i can "chuck it in" in a weekend???

cheers
geoff

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

what's alleration ? :P

There are many cams for these engines, and it doesn't matter if they are 3.9 or 4.0 they are all interchangeable apart from the late EL motors. The cheapest ones being wade cams who have a good variety, the are $135 exchange, then you need shims. There is a sticky at the top of this section with a lot more info, so have a read through that.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah i had a flick through the listing and various cam stuff.. so if i got some a cam and exchange type of thing and shims were could these be sources???

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

huh ?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

sorry a bit p****d me thinks... where does one get shims from a ford dealer.. like would i go in there and explain got a aftermarket blah blah cam and need shims. what are exactly are these shims ( iprolly seen them prior but not know there name)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

i have a full set of shims from a 3.9

$4 each plus postage.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

If you're purchasing a Wade cam you need 1.9mm shims, which are available from Ford dealers for $5 each. Prior to buying them, you may want to get EF rocker gear as it's better made than those on the EA (so a cylinder head reconditioner tells me).

The shims fit behind the hydraulic adjusters on each rocker to compensate for the cam being reground.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cheers guys i will look back in to this after xmas and yeah i think i will get a cam.. i will prolly check back and get some info and experiances of you guys..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

only bother with a cam if you have a full exhaust and at minimum xh snorkel or it wont do much.

if its auto get a wade 1636 if its manual get a wade 977b.

wreckers will usually charge $4 for the entire set of 12 shims. EA-some eb2's run larger shims in diameter than later eb2-el(pre hybrid) but all are 1.9mm thick. you will need to take one shim out from you car just to make sure you have the right shims.

installing a cam is a pretty simple process, once youve done it a few times its about a 20-30 minute job.

also if you get a billet cam ($450 or so +) then you dont need to bother with shims. but the shims really arent much of a hassle and once shimmed theres no difference between a billet and a regrind.

also with wade cams you pay them $235 and get the new cam, then return your old standard one for a $100 refund.(or get another cam from the wreckers and give them that before hand if you dont have the extra $100 to outlay.)

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

akademiks wrote:
only bother with a cam if you have a full exhaust and at minimum xh snorkel or it wont do much.

wreckers will usually charge $4 for the entire set of 12 shims. EA-some eb2's run larger shims in diameter than later eb2-el(pre hybrid) but all are 1.9mm thick. you will need to take one shim out from you car just to make sure you have the right shims.

installing a cam is a pretty simple process, once youve done it a few times its about a 20-30 minute job.

My car has extractors, 2.5 exhaust system straight through (one centre muffler) and a cat converter from early 3.8 v6 holden.... it is a manual... and when it doesn't rain it will have an xh snorkel... so after chritsmas it should be ready for a basic cam so you suggest 977b cool

also if you get a billet cam ($450 or so +) then you dont need to bother with shims. but the shims really arent much of a hassle and once shimmed theres no difference between a billet and a regrind.

also with wade cams you pay them $235 and get the new cam, then return your old standard one for a $100 refund.(or get another cam from the wreckers and give them that before hand if you dont have the extra $100 to outlay.)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

akademiks wrote:

My car has extractors, 2.5 exhaust system straight through (one centre muffler) and a cat converter from early 3.8 v6 holden.... it is a manual... and when it doesn't rain it will have an xh snorkel... so after chritsmas it should be ready for a basic cam so you suggest 977b cool

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes mate sounds alike a 977b is a perfect match for it. very good bang for buck. you notice a change in the power band right away as long as you adjust the timing to suit. also alot more torque which is very noticable you you hammer into 2nd gear.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

akademiks wrote:
yes mate sounds alike a 977b is a perfect match for it. very good bang for buck. you notice a change in the power band right away as long as you adjust the timing to suit. also alot more torque which is very noticable you you hammer into 2nd gear.

yeah with that timing how would one change the timing like adjusting the chain a few teeth or something??? i will go a look at the wade site right now

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nah dont change the teeth rotate the dizzy cap

if you dont really know what you are doing its best to get someone who does as if you screw it up can do some prtty bad damage to the engine reliability wise

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

akademiks wrote:
nah dont change the teeth rotate the dizzy cap

if you dont really know what you are doing its best to get someone who does as if you screw it up can do some prtty bad damage to the engine reliability wise

oh that's simple enough.. so just move til engine runs and idles smooth like is it the same or similair to advancing the timing

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]