Fordmods Logo

3.9L/4.0L Inline 6 Modification Guide 

Page 15 of 23 [ 340 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR6

WA, Australia

Handy info

The 6000 km Road trip... Rockhampton QLD, Surfers Paradise QLD, Coffs Harbour NSW, Sydney NSW, Canberra ACT, Melbourne VIC, Launceston TAS, Adelaide SA, Kalgoorlie WA, Perth WA.

Post subject: cheap falcon cyl mods
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hi all,
Here is my story and we currently have 5 falcons in the family ranging from ED to AU all 6cyl's and they all have very simular power delivery and fuel consuption figures. We are all running different exhust configurations (from standard to 2.5" full flow systems) the only setting that changes between all 5 cars is the type of air pod and/or the restiction required for the air pod (we have finer pod filters, uni pod filters and k & n pod filters)

I put a pod filter on my AU falcon (1999 model) (you need to tune the air flow through the pod to suit the exhaust flow, this takes time and a lot off guess work to get perfect.) almost all air pod filters flow to much air and need to be slightly restricked to get max power and fuel econemy. i also put top spark plugs and top spark plug leads on. I have heaps of down low grunt and have little to no accellerator when at set throttle. i also get great fuel consumption. i average 850km plus per 64 ltrs on the highway setting the cruise at 115km/per hour. you should also check and make sure that the 6 butterflys are set at 3/4 of a turn on from balanced and that the big main butterfly is set at about 2 thou gap (or at operating temp 600-625rpm in drive). also change your thermostat to 82 degree, this is a must and dont listen to anyone that tells you your auto trans wont run properly as they are full of s**t (i was told this by a top ford mechanic).

so to recap:
must do: if you want to help your motor and start seeing improvements
thermostat 82 degrees $20 approx (buy a new thermostat o'ring)

optional changes (does make small gains in better fuel consuption)
good spark plug leads (such as bosch spiral wire) $80
spark plugs (iridium or standard no resistance sparks) $40

optional two (if you have time and patenice)
air pod approx $100
you will see some improvement by leaving and using your standard air box instead of going to a pod filter. my main suggestion if you like this option is to find a way to increase the air flow into the bottom of the air box (ie. bigger cold air intake pickup)

approx outlay exspense of $240.00 if you try all options.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Will getting new spark plugs and leads improve performance at all, or only if the current ones are sub-par? Im guessing it wont make much difference, but after-market ones are neccessary for top performance??
Anyone know about what colour coded bumpers and the twin headlights for an EB are worth?

Recently got a Clarion head unit, getting the car lowered with King Lows next week, followed by a few exterior and perf mods.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XC GXL

QLD, Australia

hey all i was just poking around my car and i found a cool little spot.
i read somwhere else somthing about pepole drilling holes in there airbox and running pices of hose down to places to get some ram air going. i just noticed on my EBII that rite next to the air box theres a little hole for the indicator wires that leads to a fairly secluded section inside the frount bumper that also looks like it may avoide water from puddles etc i was just wondering if this mite be a good idea to try and get a bit of extra air (as i also read somwhere else about having air runover somthing creates like a cooler pressure or somthing) and what size hose i whould need to use for this to be effective anyone else with the same series know the place im talking about?

cheeres

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well after reading the start of this thread again...is it me or have the prices gone up for extractors?

I called up one of the Distributors in Victoria and they said they sell them for $440 for the Pacemaker 4480s...I remember them being about $410-$420ish. I guess inflation kind of got to it. Is it still a reasonable price for the PH4480?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

QLD, Australia

Hi i'm new to this site having not long moved from the UK & have bought a 1996 EL Futura manual in Heritage green for what i think was a bargain 88,00kms, 2 owners, XR6 bodykit & ford service history & a 2.5" cat back system of unknown make for just $7000 & since then i've fitted a K&N filter but i want to do more stuff to it starting with a full system. Will i be ok going with a ceramic coated pacemaker extractor to keep the under bonnet temp down or will it make the head too hot as i've heard the head is prone to warping then from there any help would be appreciated for future mods ... oh most of my driving is done on open roads not city driving & i have found a nice "private" road @ night to test the car out on ;)

Mods so far .... K&N Panel filter, unknown cat back 2.5" exhaust system, NGK IridiumIX plugs, XR bodykit, 16" CSA wheels & way way too much BP Ultimate fuel

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

In terms of performance and price, how does a Redback exhaust system (2.5") compare to other brands?

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED Fairmont

VIC, Australia

RobK - I wouldn't worry too much about warping the head.
I've managed to do it once, according to my mechanic "the damn thing was bent like a banana".
This was after spending six hours running the Great Ocean Road (up and back a few times - over the more interesting bits), and I wasn't taking it easy.
So I figure it's safe to say that it takes a fair amount of heat to warp it.

EBMontTom - Most of the guys on the forum will tell you to go with either wih Pacemaker comp extractors, or JMM scavengers.
After that, the choice is pretty much up to you.
I use redback, works fine. Others use Lukey, apparently also fine.

Speed. Is there anything that compares?

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au futura

VIC, Australia

what diff ratio dose the 94 ef auto have i think iv worked mine out to be 3.75 but unsure as theres no tags to confirm

now have a series 1 au starting the mods slowly
now have a xw wagon to restore

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF GLi 5-spd & BA 'mont

NSW, Australia

6cyl auto has diff ratio 3.08.
6 cyl man has 3.23
6 cyl mont ghia has 3.23 also.
XR6 auto & man has 3.45.
And im not sure, but i think all V8 have 3.23..??? correct me if im wrong

Sig pic removed, refer to http://www.fordmods.com/forums/signatur ... 29751.html

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

duno but i done the old spin the shaft and count job so im not sure myself but counted 3 and 3quater turns to 1 of the wheel so figerd 3.75 ?

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:42 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

anyone know were i can get a 3.91 center and pinion from or what do they come out of ?

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:01 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

falcon_3512003 wrote:
anyone know were i can get a 3.91 center and pinion from or what do they come out of ?

hi
the nissan pintara (the one that looks like a skyline) has 3.89 ratio and will fit into falcon as they are the same series borg warner diff...

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

is that the r38 and do i need to change the axels with it

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

voxace,

how is it that you made a "shift kit" for $10? and does it work well or not? i have seen genuine ones for sale, one on ebay for 400 bucks.

And secondly people out there who run a powerchip or equivalent do you get much increase and are they worth their money, plus who paid what for them? i currently have PH4499 paceys installed and a 2.5" sports exhaust. The hub fan doesnt worry me, here in the country always movin so with the airflow the hub fan very rarely even comes in. and the only other mod i was looking at was cam, but for a slightly higher grade than xr6 with a vernier gear i was lookin at 600 bucks from crow cams... but i dnt want to go stupid so i have nothing down low, still want fuel economy, and i only have stock computer and map sensor... and still being at school and only only on p's i dnt have a lot of money and have to be careful how far i go... :( any rev heads with suggestions of the most cost effective next step?

Thanks,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 15 of 23  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next