Fordmods Logo

3.9L/4.0L Inline 6 Modification Guide 

Page 21 of 23 [ 340 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post subject: Re: 3.9L/4.0L Inline 6 Modification Guide
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Savage.Falcon.XT wrote:
Im looking at getting the diff ratio changed so im hopeing that may give a bit better bottom end power, im also looking at an X3 flash tuner... would love to hear everyones feedback as you all seem very knowledgabe...

Thanks guys

Diff gears wont give you more power, but it will certainly make the car quicker. I'm assuming its auto, they have a ridiculously long 1st gear. Wouldnt worry about cams for the DOHC motors, they cost a F**k load for not a lot of gain.
Diff gears + flash tune with the mods you already have should give you a pretty quick, snappy car.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

LOL yea your not wrong about that long first gear... iv did a bit of research at work today as i work at my local Repco, and found that yes the cams for the DOHC ar expensive as f**k for little gain and i also found that the cams already in the BA engine apparently already give alot of low end tourqe... so i am looking at the gear ratio change... but im just not sure on the price for the ratio change... Thanks to krisisdog and timmytimtim for the input, been a major help really quick, much apprectiated...

NOTHING BEATS THE SOUND OF A GRUNTY V8!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I got quote 400 to change my centre to a Lokka...

So stuffing around with gears and shims... Could be like 600 bucks or more in labour, plus the cost of gears to suit... Might be cheaper to look for an XR diff... Maybe like you said A tuner to flash the computer (lika CAPA's) as yes the cams are variable and adjust to give max power/torque... Your sort of limited with a car that modern without spending big bucks...

Maybe a manual conversion is the go so when the clutch drops you get no slip like in a torque converter... Again not much of an improvement, but I don't have many other options for you...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

yes the ute has smartlock

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

I went to my mechanic today to ask them about doing the diff ratio and manual convertion and he told me its not worth it in a grandpa car like a BA Falcon...

Is it just me or is that an insult...?

NOTHING BEATS THE SOUND OF A GRUNTY V8!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:38 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Savage.Falcon.XT wrote:
I went to my mechanic today to ask them about doing the diff ratio and manual convertion and he told me its not worth it in a grandpa car like a BA Falcon...

Is it just me or is that an insult...?

it can be insulting!!
imo thats just a comment from a dumb a** lazy mechanic thats either scared to do the job because he dont have the knowledge, or simply dont want to do the job because he would have less stress and make more money just doing petty repairs and servicing.....

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I agree with Troy... If the car is your baby... Its worth any amount of money you spend on it... I spent five fold the value of my car on the car I'd recon... :D

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

would highly recommend a BA turbo. same car as what you have. comes with better diff ratio and lsd and 240kw (has upgraded components to deliver that performance and beyond) not to mention endless potential. will save you a fortune in the long run if you're after performance.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

QLD, Australia

ok so ive got an ef with all the normal mods,

exhaust, extractors, pod filter, modified intake, 3.9 diff ratio,

im also running the lumpiest crow cam available without doing a retune and have a set of harder valve springs in. ( sorry i dont know the exact cam thats all i was told by the guy i bought the car off)

im interested in replacing the cam and getting something even lumpier (i love rough idles) and good mid range power would be ideal as i dont want to rev the tits out of my motor to get it to boogie,

what cams can you reccomend and what other mods will i need to do to facilitate this?? any help would be much appreciated

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

extractors exhaust and pod will be pretty much all you need mod wise...

Ti Performance is a sponsor on here... they can do a J3 chip for your computer to suit the cam and get the most out of it... But Jason will need the specs of the cam to do it...

Remember the lumpier the cam, the higher the rev range it works at... The reason they are lump at idle is because they produce barely any power there...

So if you go lumpier, expect less off the line power, less mid range power and more power closer to the 5000rpm mark...

I love lumpy idles too... but after talking to Wade cams I decided against it as my car very rarely sees over 3000rpm so I went for the 1636 which they tell me has the best off the line torque, because I like more torque than more power... Something that sits you back in the seat is more impressive than something that makes power at its red line to me...

Just some points to consider...

Talk to Wade cams (also a sponsor on here) they have fordmods prices as well as years of experience...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XH ute 98

QLD, Australia

Hi all,
I just got pacemaker 4480's installed with a 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust, very pleased with the power gain and engine note. little loud on around 2000-2400rpm, but no hotdog installed, sounds great once it pushes over that and into the hp powerband. I am curious voxace, of which cam you went with? so far I have spent 1200 just on the exhaust...hmmm. can you give me a bit more info on where you spent your 1000 or so, cheers.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Longreach Ute OutBack

NSW, Australia

Talked to Wade Cams about getting a grind done for my ute,but whoever I spoke to didn't seem interested in helping me out. :( Luckily a mate was wrecking his EB sedan,and he gave me the Crow Hi-Torque cam and adjustable chain sprocket out of it for nothing. :)

Last edited by Outback Blue on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:37 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BF MKII Xr6

NSW, Australia

I know shift kits aren't really a power upgrade, but have heard they COULD shave a bit of time off the 1/4.

Anyone got one fitted they can tell me about?

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6 N/A

QLD, Australia

ja_50_nh wrote:
I know shift kits aren't really a power upgrade, but have heard they COULD shave a bit of time off the 1/4.

Anyone got one fitted they can tell me about?

I actually thought i lost 10ths time by wheelspinning into 2nd and 3rd...

I threw my shift kit away when i bought the Flashtuner 8-)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF, EL falcon, au futra

VIC, Australia

hey voxace thanks you have now got me saving for my mods to my ef i have just got a motor and im about to start rebuilding it and now i have a fue nice idears now cheers man

EL Falcon, sitting on sl king springs & 18" silver agents, pacemaker extractors with 2.5'' sports exhurst, nf fairlane interior, 5 speed manual with a 3.45 lsd and lots more rkw:
EF Falcon stock standard
ford au furtura the daily

Sort by  
 Page 21 of 23  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next