$3000 to fix oil leak 

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: $3000 to fix oil leak
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If it doesn't leave big puddles on the ground, just forget about spending $3000 on fixing those leaks. Keep the oil level up to it & just drive the car.

Give the engine a very good clean & see where the leaks are. The rocker cover gaskit is prone to leaking & dripping the oil over everything else. Mine is leaking again, need to clean it up.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:41 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Bit early in the morning torana guy? Hahaha this thread is near on 5 years old :D

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:54 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

haha very old

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey Pilch.

some crazy thread mining going on Jay

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 97 el xr6 ,97 el xr6

VIC, Australia

hey bud 3000 is way too steep, try find a ef xr6 or fairmont ghia tickford engine u dont have to change the wiring loom and it wont cost nearly as much you could even play with your new engine after it was fitted for 3000.
cheerz daniel

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

hawkzs wrote:
hey bud 3000 is way too steep, try find a ef xr6 or fairmont ghia tickford engine u dont have to change the wiring loom and it wont cost nearly as much you could even play with your new engine after it was fitted for 3000.
cheerz daniel

man 5 year old thread lol :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:

Yeah man, and in my defense, it was on the "home page" for what reason i dunno? I was reading other threads that popped up on the home page.

:oops:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

well actually what the mechanic said was "it will cost you about "i dont want to do this job, so i'll quote stupidly high hoping he wont ask. if you do i will charge like a bull for it" then if we can squeeze it in"

in short, i doubt he can be f**k taking you k frame off...

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
well actually what the mechanic said was "it will cost you about "i dont want to do this job, so i'll quote stupidly high hoping he wont ask. if you do i will charge like a bull for it" then if we can squeeze it in"

in short, i doubt he can be f**k taking you k frame off...

5 years old mate, i think it doesnt matter any more. haha

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Oh dear, Davehimself probably had a EL, AU, AU11, BA & a terry since then. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

LOL thats a joke, go to a wrecker and buy a second hand motor, (they normally test and do a compression cheap on it) I did that on my old EL because it was $1700 to replaced the head and head gasket plus labor, and I got a EL tickford motor with 98000kms on it for $690 Fitted the motor in a day with a few mates, done 40,000kms never missed a bit but then I sold it and bought the NL ...

Laticia.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo ef falcon

ACT, Australia

Well? what ever happened to it? Did he get the leaks fixed or put a new motor in or what? I didn't read this whole thing just to have no conclusion!
TELL MEEE! :evil:

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB XR8, NA Fairlane

SA, Australia

I have been a member here for a while but rarely post, anyway posts similar to this pop up now and then, and it's OK for those that have the ability to repair their cars, and tackle major mods, but some just can't do it and need to use a mechanic.
I'm a mechanic and own a workshop, I have massive electricity and phone bills, I have rent to pay, advertising to pay, keeping workshop equipment up to date and maintained, I have to keep a fair bit of stock on hand, plus register and maintain loan cars that I supply for free, then the most important is paying my blokes.
Good mechanics want a grand a week, if you want them you have to pay.
If I do a head on a Falcon it CAN be up to 3 grand, and it comes down to warranty, if a car comes back I have a bloke not making money and a p!ssed off customer, so to give a warranty I have to make sure it's repaired to a reasonable standard.
A Falcon head that has no visible corrosion has to be checked for softness and if OK, pressure tested, valves vacuum tested, faced, new stem seals, and if needed valves reseated and stem heights done.
Then there's gaskets, head bolts, thermostat, coolant, oil and filter, any hoses and clamps that need replacing, heater tap and water pump if needed, the radiator needs to be cleaned or replaced, and on EA/EB the condition of the viscous hub,then labor, it all adds up.
Yeah, there are mechanics that rip people off, charging for things they haven't done etc. but just because some one on the forum did their own head for 150 bucks doesn't mean a mechanic quoting 2 grand is ripping you off.
If I took head's and just put them back with a new head gasket which I could probably do for under 500, I would be out of business.
Sorry to dribble on so much, but I hope some of you can see that what mite seem expensive, doesn't always mean your being ripped.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

EXREight wrote:
I have been a member here for a while but rarely post, anyway posts similar to this pop up now and then, and it's OK for those that have the ability to repair their cars, and tackle major mods, but some just can't do it and need to use a mechanic.
I'm a mechanic and own a workshop, I have massive electricity and phone bills, I have rent to pay, advertising to pay, keeping workshop equipment up to date and maintained, I have to keep a fair bit of stock on hand, plus register and maintain loan cars that I supply for free, then the most important is paying my blokes.
Good mechanics want a grand a week, if you want them you have to pay.
If I do a head on a Falcon it CAN be up to 3 grand, and it comes down to warranty, if a car comes back I have a bloke not making money and a p!ssed off customer, so to give a warranty I have to make sure it's repaired to a reasonable standard.
A Falcon head that has no visible corrosion has to be checked for softness and if OK, pressure tested, valves vacuum tested, faced, new stem seals, and if needed valves reseated and stem heights done.
Then there's gaskets, head bolts, thermostat, coolant, oil and filter, any hoses and clamps that need replacing, heater tap and water pump if needed, the radiator needs to be cleaned or replaced, and on EA/EB the condition of the viscous hub,then labor, it all adds up.
Yeah, there are mechanics that rip people off, charging for things they haven't done etc. but just because some one on the forum did their own head for 150 bucks doesn't mean a mechanic quoting 2 grand is ripping you off.
If I took head's and just put them back with a new head gasket which I could probably do for under 500, I would be out of business.
Sorry to dribble on so much, but I hope some of you can see that what mite seem expensive, doesn't always mean your being ripped.

who cares this thread is 5 years old!

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next