Fordmods Logo

3000km service and oil change? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 3000km service and oil change?
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2012 Ford XR6 Limited

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone just looking for some thoughts/opinions about changing the oil at the 3000km service even though ford recommend it to be changed at 15,000km. I have had a few mixed opinions with friends and the boys at work but now I'm wondering what the people on the forums think.

Post subject: Re: 3000km service and oil change?
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i usually do mine at 5000ks, but i might be shortening it now seeing as tho my oil is black now. (coming up to 3500ks)

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

My little rule is..
I do my EB every 5000. BA every 7500. Transmission every 30000 there abouts.
Seems to work for me. :wink:

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

every 15000km is for "normal conditions" read the hand book and learn what "normal conditions" are. You'll find most people don't fit the catagory of driving conditions.

Personally If the hand book says 15000km intervals, I'd be doing it at 7500km unless you are willing to invest in used oil analysis to prove the oil is good for 15000km. But the cost of that would be right up there with an extra oil change.

Unless you plan on only keeping the car for a few years, then just string the services out as far as you can.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Servicing is cheap insurance.
All our cars get done every 5000km.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

One thing is for sure....Oil is cheaper than replacing engines....or fixing oil leaks.
I do mine every 5,000km or 6 months.....the engines stay clean at that....so far.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Dont forget to many oil changes can strip your sump bolt hif hif

but ehh every 5k- 7500km is fine

just remember spoon sport has told people engine's have a filter + it is pressurized

now a manual gear box should be changed at 5K km the same time as the oil as the oil is just floating around in there

Vtec club makes sense to me but does it make sense to us

I will admit though i have changed the oil every tank of fuel when i have bought AUs

my EA which got oil changed every 10K km i did the same every tank of fuel for the first 4 tanks

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Jippo wrote:
Hey everyone just looking for some thoughts/opinions about changing the oil at the 3000km service even though ford recommend it to be changed at 15,000km. I have had a few mixed opinions with friends and the boys at work but now I'm wondering what the people on the forums think.

I had my FG's oil changed at 3000km service... then i have changed every 7500 since. I also switched from the mineral oil to synthetic oil at the second oil change. Mine is a Turbo though.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

tickford_6 wrote:
Personally If the hand book says 15000km intervals, I'd be doing it at 7500km unless you are willing to invest in used oil analysis to prove the oil is good for 15000km.

your thinking backwards mate.

shouldnt you be changing at 15,000 intervals unless a used oil analysis proves otherwise?

changing the oil every 3,000, or every 30,000.......... betcha after 100,000km both engines would behave exactly the same.

It would be better piece of mind replacing all the sensors, ignition system, and fuel system at regular intervals....... you know, the things that actually play up over time !! :lol:

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

how do you stand with 'refreshing oil' yourself under warranty conditions though? or would it have to go through certified service everytime even though not due?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FordFairmont wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Personally If the hand book says 15000km intervals, I'd be doing it at 7500km unless you are willing to invest in used oil analysis to prove the oil is good for 15000km.

your thinking backwards mate.

shouldnt you be changing at 15,000 intervals unless a used oil analysis proves otherwise?

NO, You change sooner because you can't prove the oil is good without testing it. IF the testing shows the oil is still good, you leave it in and test again. testing every 2500km will show you a lot about your engine and your driving habits. Over time you will see the trends in oil contamination and engine wear that will give you the ability to better judge your needed oil change intervals. Continued testing will show up potential mechanical or filtration problems long before they become a major issue.
I proved that Fuchs GT1 0W20 was good for 15000km in my old LPG fueled AU. the testing also showed that K&N filters are NOT good filters, It also showed later that a leak had developed in the intake after filter (which had been changed back to a motorcraft paper filter). it also showed that the thin 0W20 had very good wear protection and disproved the s**t story of thick oil protects better. It also showed the effects of the s**t K&N filter by finding high levels of aluminum in the oil, piston skirt wear induced by the dust getting through the K&N filter. This was proven by changing to a motorcraft paper filter, after which the high dust and aluminum levels did not show.

Would I trust the same oil to do the same job in the BA we bought, Not with out testing.
Although this time I will be testing a different Fuchs oil that is specifically designed for long drain intervals.

FordFairmont wrote:
changing the oil every 3,000, or every 30,000.......... betcha after 100,000km both engines would behave exactly the same.

Incorrect. i've seen engines with under 100 000km that have oil sludge related problems that would not be there if the oil was at shorter intervals. The repairs cost more then the people saved by stretching out the services. :wink:
All the cars I've seen with those problems have had some form of VCT, these include a BA falcon, a Honda CRV and a Toyota corolla.

FordFairmont wrote:
It would be better piece of mind replacing all the sensors, ignition system, and fuel system at regular intervals....... you know, the things that actually play up over time !!

Servicing the fuel system and ignition systems are part of the scheduled services anyway. :roll:
Don't tell me you're one of those d***head that thinks a 'service' is just an oil change.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Injectors , coil packs , 02 sensors, leads , temp sensors , TPS sensors are a "basic service" item arnt they tickford_6 ?

i know i change injectors , and 02 sensors every 30-50K km , and coils also etc

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

You'd be surprised how many people think the only thing you ever need to change is oil and a filter.

They much prefer to wait until the other items become a problem before they ask you to fix as cheap as possible (as apposed them wanting it fixed properly)

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

I do my XG every 10000 clicks, but i change ALL oils (diff, trans etc) ALL filters, spark plugs and leads etc etc. Check everything over. As for the sensors i never have changed them in 230000 kilometers. Why change them when they work brilliant anyway. Still get great fuel economy, engine is smooth and plenty of grunt so cant be to much wrong lol.

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

OK.....other things I do...service wise....
I change the brake fluid every year ( rego time ), lube the door hinges and latches, boot lid hinges, bonnet hinges and latch every oil change,
Lube antenna every 2nd oil change, and key barrels,
If grease nipples are fitted, they get a couple of shots every oil change,
check lights, replace bulbs as necessary,
change g'box & diff oil every 2 years or 15,000 km,
change coolant every 2 years,
spark plugs as necessary....they get looked at regularly...except for the wifes Magna....damn intake covers the rear 3..... :x
Anyway....haven't really had many probs.....just the dizzy's give up at about 12 months.....but then I get them for $99.
The still work.....just they start making a screaming noise....the bush in them isn't real good stuff, me thinks.
I have pics.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next