Fordmods Logo

4.0 ED won't start, HELP!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: 4.0 ED won't start, HELP!!!
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED Fairmont wagon

SA, Australia

So I was driving the wagon to work this morning, as I went to accelerate out of a corner it coughed and died. I put it in neutral and it started so clicked it into drive and as soon as I put my foot down it died.
I rolled to the side of the road and it wouldn't start.
I figured it was because it was pouring rain and the road was like a river, it must have gotten a bit wet.
So I sat on the side of the road for an hour and a half, trying to start it every now and then. Trying both LPG and petrol.
After a while it started to fire but only when I let go of the key, it was like it was running on. Again I figured maybe the coil was sooking wet and it would dry out.
I flagged my wife down as she drove past on her way to work and got a lift home. I hung around home for about an hour or so, jumped in my Galant and headed to the Fairmont expecting it to start.
Guess what it did, first turn of the key. As soon as I went to rev it, it died again. Now it is cranking but not firing until I let go of the key again.
Anyone have any ideas? I really need this car running ASAP as it is my daily.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Post subject: Re: 4.0 ED won't start, HELP!!!
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

EDdy Waggs wrote:
So I was driving the wagon to work this morning, as I went to accelerate out of a corner it coughed and died. I put it in neutral and it started so clicked it into drive and as soon as I put my foot down it died.
I rolled to the side of the road and it wouldn't start.
I figured it was because it was pouring rain and the road was like a river, it must have gotten a bit wet.
So I sat on the side of the road for an hour and a half, trying to start it every now and then. Trying both LPG and petrol.
After a while it started to fire but only when I let go of the key, it was like it was running on. Again I figured maybe the coil was sooking wet and it would dry out.
I flagged my wife down as she drove past on her way to work and got a lift home. I hung around home for about an hour or so, jumped in my Galant and headed to the Fairmont expecting it to start.
Guess what it did, first turn of the key. As soon as I went to rev it, it died again. Now it is cranking but not firing until I let go of the key again.
Anyone have any ideas? I really need this car running ASAP as it is my daily.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

umm you could try getting some WD40 pull off your lead of your coil and spray it..and if it has a dizzy pull off the cap and give that a spray....i used to alway have to do that with my XE after i washed the motor... i hope this helps ya

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED Fairmont wagon

SA, Australia

Cheers for that Lucion, seems the dizzy and coil are tucked up under the inlet manifold for some stupid reason but it let the car sit for another hour and then coated everything in WD-40. Nearly got home before it died again, bit more WD-40 and it fired up. Now seems to be running perfectly again.

Thanks again :)

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:30 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

EDdy Waggs wrote:
Cheers for that Lucion, seems the dizzy and coil are tucked up under the inlet manifold for some stupid reason but it let the car sit for another hour and then coated everything in WD-40. Nearly got home before it died again, bit more WD-40 and it fired up. Now seems to be running perfectly again.

Thanks again :)

:) Anytime mate I am glad I could help

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

You may need to investigate it/repair it, before it lets you down again.
Here's a few things to look for.

Attachments:
File comment: ROTOR BURNT
IMGP3969.JPG
IMGP3969.JPG [ 383.85 KiB | Viewed 143 times ]
File comment: DIZZY CAP TERMINAL
IMGP3966.JPG
IMGP3966.JPG [ 330.85 KiB | Viewed 143 times ]
File comment: DIZZY CAP CARBON BRUSH
IMGP3965.JPG
IMGP3965.JPG [ 385.87 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]
File comment: IGNITION COIL CRACKS