Fordmods Logo

4L head on to 3.9Lcfi 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: 4L head on to 3.9Lcfi
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:58 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

im thinkin of buyin a Ef 4l head would it be alrite to sit on the 3.9Lcfi bottom end? or would i have 2 get a 4L bottom end?
Cheers

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

nope, it will fit fine.. just use all the accessories from the 3.9 and you'll be fine.

Last edited by frankieh on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Your CFI rocker cover won't fit that head. Look at the radius where the "D" seal goes on the EF head, and theres none on the 3.9 head.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:38 am 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

Soo the 4L head on it will work or wont work? I got the ef rocker cover as well and stuff

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
Your CFI rocker cover won't fit that head. Look at the radius where the "D" seal goes on the EF head, and theres none on the 3.9 head.


are you daft? the rocker cover will fit on no dramas as long as he gets the tappet cover gasket to go with it. or if he gets the cork gasket then he needs to buy the "D" bits seperate the only issue i can see if with the bolts that hold the tappet cover on as 3.9 EA/EB head hell even the 4L EB to ED use a stud type of setup and the EF to AU use a bolt setup...

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
cjh wrote:
Your CFI rocker cover won't fit that head. Look at the radius where the "D" seal goes on the EF head, and theres none on the 3.9 head.


are you daft? the rocker cover will fit on no dramas as long as he gets the tappet cover gasket to go with it. or if he gets the cork gasket then he needs to buy the "D" bits seperate the only issue i can see if with the bolts that hold the tappet cover on as 3.9 EA/EB head hell even the 4L EB to ED use a stud type of setup and the EF to AU use a bolt setup...


I didn't think I was daft, so i'll let the pics do the talkin, eh?
The clean head is an EF head, the dirty head is a 3.9 head.
The width where the D seal goes is different.
By the way, the last of the ED's had the bolt type rocker cover, same as used on the XH utes.

 

 

Attachments:
IMGP0351_resize.JPG
IMGP0351_resize.JPG [ 79.75 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]
IMGP0352_resize.JPG
IMGP0352_resize.JPG [ 139.21 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]
IMGP0353_resize.JPG
IMGP0353_resize.JPG [ 124.21 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]
IMGP0354_resize.JPG
IMGP0354_resize.JPG [ 61.5 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
Froudey wrote:
cjh wrote:
Your CFI rocker cover won't fit that head. Look at the radius where the "D" seal goes on the EF head, and theres none on the 3.9 head.


are you daft? the rocker cover will fit on no dramas as long as he gets the tappet cover gasket to go with it. or if he gets the cork gasket then he needs to buy the "D" bits seperate the only issue i can see if with the bolts that hold the tappet cover on as 3.9 EA/EB head hell even the 4L EB to ED use a stud type of setup and the EF to AU use a bolt setup...


I didn't think I was daft, so i'll let the pics do the talkin, eh?
The clean head is an EF head, the dirty head is a 3.9 head.
The width where the D seal goes is different.
By the way, the last of the ED's had the bolt type rocker cover, same as used on the XH utes.


ok the slightist of differences, but just enough to not work i assumed since that ef/el tappet covers were retro fitted to earlier motors for looks thought it would work the other way around.

sorry cheers geoff

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2644

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

Location: Mount Annan
NSW, Australia

I have put a ef rocker cover onto an 3.9 head without problems, I was unaware of any difference in the D size.

 

_________________

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Last edited by twase on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:04 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

Alrite wicked a guys got a Ported N polished head for sale And was thinkin of gettin it n put it on till i get a low k motor

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
cjh wrote:
Froudey wrote:
cjh wrote:
Your CFI rocker cover won't fit that head. Look at the radius where the "D" seal goes on the EF head, and theres none on the 3.9 head.


are you daft? the rocker cover will fit on no dramas as long as he gets the tappet cover gasket to go with it. or if he gets the cork gasket then he needs to buy the "D" bits seperate the only issue i can see if with the bolts that hold the tappet cover on as 3.9 EA/EB head hell even the 4L EB to ED use a stud type of setup and the EF to AU use a bolt setup...


I didn't think I was daft, so i'll let the pics do the talkin, eh?
The clean head is an EF head, the dirty head is a 3.9 head.
The width where the D seal goes is different.
By the way, the last of the ED's had the bolt type rocker cover, same as used on the XH utes.


ok the slightist of differences, but just enough to not work i assumed since that ef/el tappet covers were retro fitted to earlier motors for looks thought it would work the other way around.

sorry cheers geoff



Apology acepted, tah.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:24 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

Soo the EF Head and rocker cover will go onto the 3.9Cfi?? I wasent talkin about just the rocker cover goin on the 3.9head haha

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Ford-sxr6 wrote:
Soo the EF Head and rocker cover will go onto the 3.9Cfi?? I wasent talkin about just the rocker cover goin on the 3.9head haha


Yeah, straight on. Long as you use the rocker gear too.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:05 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

Alrite Wicked i buy it soon if he has still

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:19 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names