Fordmods Logo

68 mm throttle body issue 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 68 mm throttle body issue
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

hi all. today i put a new cleaned out BBM, with a manifold insulator in my EF xr6. sounds abit louder and seems to sound more crisp and responsive. i also put a 68mm throttle body on but now i have an idle issue. when i turn the car on the revs shoot up to around 3000rpm but if i disconnect the tps it drops down to 1000rm. im pretty sure that the car should stall if u disconnect it? the throttle cable is backed right off and the idle screw is adjusted so that on idle position the butterfly is as closed as it can be. i have also gone over everything and there is deffinantly no vacuum hoses off or air leaks anywhere.
if i leave the car to idle for a while eventually it will drop down to ALMOST near idle. when this happens i can plug the tps back in and it will idle at that rpm. as soon as i give it even the slightest rev the engine shoots up to 3000rpm and stays there again. i dont know whats going on because the tps sensor is not that old and i had no issues before i put the 68mm tb on
any ideas would be help me alot, thanks :)

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Post subject: Re: 68 mm throttle body issue
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Have you adjusted the TPS to the correct voltage for closed and WOT.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

u cant adjust the voltage on the TPS

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

effalconxr6 wrote:
u cant adjust the voltage on the TPS

Who told you that? You can but you need to slightly slot the mounting holes where the screws pass through. You then adjust (move) the TPS until you get the correct voltage for idle, I like it around 0.7v, you should have around 4v at WOT.

This often needs to be done with aftermarket cams etc.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thats not adjusting voltage, the referance voltage remains the same. but by rotating the tps it changes the the output voltage and this will fix my issue? i dont want to go and drill holes in my tps and then it now work lol

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

effalconxr6 wrote:
thats not adjusting voltage, the referance voltage remains the same. but by rotating the tps it changes the the output voltage and this will fix my issue? i dont want to go and drill holes in my tps and then it now work lol

If you read what I said

SWC wrote:
Have you adjusted the TPS to the correct voltage for closed and WOT.

I did not say adjust the voltage, I said adjust the TPS to the correct voltage.

Have you checked the voltage on yours to ensure it is correct?

Slotting the mounting holes does not damage the TPS, as long as you arn't a butcher.

When you fit the TPS to the throttle body it is in a fixed position. Sometimes when working with modified parts, this will not give the correct voltage reading for Idle and WOT. By moving the TPS very slightly you can set the voltage to the correct reading.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ok thanks for the info ill drill out the holes tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

effalconxr6 wrote:
ok thanks for the info ill drill out the holes tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue

Check you voltage first before you go drilling holes, there may be no need. TPS is 0.4 to 0.8v at Closed throttle and 4.0v at WOT. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, I am running off memory.

If you voltage is out, use a small drill or jewlers file to "SLOT" the holes. don't just drill them out. You don't need much movement.

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ill test it tomorrow and ill let you know what the voltage is

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ok so i tested the voltage and eveythings fine. I put the old throttle body on and runs normal 100%. I found that there is an internal gap between the new trottle body and the butterfly when closed. I can only assume its a dody remanufature. I also found that if you look down the manifold side tps screw hole you can see ino the bore. Obviously its been bored out to much and thats causing a vacuum leak

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

When the Throttle body is opened up (Bored out), a larger butterfly needs to be fitted.

Has this been done with ths throttle body?

Who did the modifications to the throttle body?

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yes it has a new cable linkage and butterfly valve and shaft. the whole throttle body has been remanufactured and bored out but i think it hasnt been done very well. i bought it off a shop on ebay. Id send photos but for some reason am unable to. but if you where to look into the Throttle body you can see a 1mm gap the whole way around the butterfly and id say even 2mm in some spots!

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

There's your problem.

Maybe the throttle stop is just set way too open? I wouldnt think a t/b manufacturing place would be that sloppy.

EL Ghia

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

The theottle body stopper is backed so far off that it doesnt even touch when closed. They must have really muffed this up

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Try undoing the screws on the butterfly plate and see if you can correct the position. It may have been tightened up out of alignment.

EL Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next