Fordmods Logo

98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for. 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 45

Posts: 444

Joined: 12th Apr 2010

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

Hey guys, just picked one of these up for the wife. What do I need to look out for with these ones? It's a VCT powered beasty.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

 

_________________

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3374

Joined: 11th Mar 2008

Ride: EA SVO, AU2 Forte

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

the VCT adjuster thing at the front of the head. check that for oil leaks. apart from that just the other typical 4L things.

suspension wise ball joint lol

 

_________________

Daily driver: AU2. 5 speed. 19" FG luxos. Full exhaust. Lowered. AU3 XR leather interior, converted to full power windows. 3.45 LSD. IN THE FUTURE: Tickford 6
Weekend driver: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. TCE 2800 stall. T76 turbo. Locked diff. On E85. approx 320rwkw. 11.5 @121mph

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 836

Joined: 1st Apr 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

Yep, the VCT unit at the front of the head. I haven't dealt with that leak yet, so not sure how to fix it.

If you have the Ford 6-disc in-dash CD changer, it has a habit of jamming expensively ($400 to fix properly at APS Automedia).

You will have the IRS, which tended to have two problems (mine had both).

- The rubber isolators at the top of the rear shocks compress over time, and the nuts on the top of the shocks run out of thread, so the top of the shock is loose and will rattle. You can pay many hundreds to replace the isolators, OR.... you can put two or three thick washers under the shock nuts to take up the slack - problem fixed safely for $5.

- If you have LSD, you might get chatter once warmed up. Apparently, they were set up incorrectly from the factory, and developed hot spots on the cones. Any diff shop or mechanic that has experience with these should be able to fix it reasonably cheaply. I think they just remove the tight spots with emery cloth. Then fill it up with Redline 80w140.

Hope this helps.

 

_________________

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA, QFM, KYB/Koni, AU block, ported EF head, SS Inductions, Territory intake, MLS gasket, milled, Franklin RH24B cam, Coby headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 45

Posts: 444

Joined: 12th Apr 2010

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

efxr6wagon wrote:
Yep, the VCT unit at the front of the head. I haven't dealt with that leak yet, so not sure how to fix it.

If you have the Ford 6-disc in-dash CD changer, it has a habit of jamming expensively ($400 to fix properly at APS Automedia).

You will have the IRS, which tended to have two problems (mine had both).

- The rubber isolators at the top of the rear shocks compress over time, and the nuts on the top of the shocks run out of thread, so the top of the shock is loose and will rattle. You can pay many hundreds to replace the isolators, OR.... you can put two or three thick washers under the shock nuts to take up the slack - problem fixed safely for $5.

- If you have LSD, you might get chatter once warmed up. Apparently, they were set up incorrectly from the factory, and developed hot spots on the cones. Any diff shop or mechanic that has experience with these should be able to fix it reasonably cheaply. I think they just remove the tight spots with emery cloth. Then fill it up with Redline 80w140.

Hope this helps.


Awesome advise mate, exactly what I was looking for, problems too look for to save me $$$ down the road :)

WILDEB wrote:
the VCT adjuster thing at the front of the head. check that for oil leaks. apart from that just the other typical 4L things.

suspension wise ball joint lol

Ball Joints, my old nemesis lol

 

_________________

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 3374

Joined: 11th Mar 2008

Ride: EA SVO, AU2 Forte

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

Deff wrote:
efxr6wagon wrote:
Yep, the VCT unit at the front of the head. I haven't dealt with that leak yet, so not sure how to fix it.

If you have the Ford 6-disc in-dash CD changer, it has a habit of jamming expensively ($400 to fix properly at APS Automedia).

You will have the IRS, which tended to have two problems (mine had both).

- The rubber isolators at the top of the rear shocks compress over time, and the nuts on the top of the shocks run out of thread, so the top of the shock is loose and will rattle. You can pay many hundreds to replace the isolators, OR.... you can put two or three thick washers under the shock nuts to take up the slack - problem fixed safely for $5.

- If you have LSD, you might get chatter once warmed up. Apparently, they were set up incorrectly from the factory, and developed hot spots on the cones. Any diff shop or mechanic that has experience with these should be able to fix it reasonably cheaply. I think they just remove the tight spots with emery cloth. Then fill it up with Redline 80w140.

Hope this helps.


Awesome advise mate, exactly what I was looking for, problems too look for to save me $$$ down the road :)

WILDEB wrote:
the VCT adjuster thing at the front of the head. check that for oil leaks. apart from that just the other typical 4L things.

suspension wise ball joint lol

Ball Joints, my old nemesis lol

totally agreed lol

 

_________________

Daily driver: AU2. 5 speed. 19" FG luxos. Full exhaust. Lowered. AU3 XR leather interior, converted to full power windows. 3.45 LSD. IN THE FUTURE: Tickford 6
Weekend driver: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. TCE 2800 stall. T76 turbo. Locked diff. On E85. approx 320rwkw. 11.5 @121mph

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 9453

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

I see you have the tape deck head unit with the boot mounted stacker. Also, has your dash been changed or did the fairmont ghias get the series II dash. It doesn't look right with the grey LCD odometer and amber LCD for the tripmeter/climate control.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 45

Posts: 444

Joined: 12th Apr 2010

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

xcabbi wrote:
I see you have the tape deck head unit with the boot mounted stacker. Also, has your dash been changed or did the fairmont ghias get the series II dash. It doesn't look right with the grey LCD odometer and amber LCD for the tripmeter/climate control.

Odometer is amber too, just the lighting I think :)

I can't get the radio to go, the owners manual is missing and I don't know the Code to unlock it as battery has been out.

:(

 

_________________

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 98 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT. What to look out for.
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 9453

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

Your Ford dealer should be able to unlock the radio for you. Not a bad sounding stereo but could definitely do with a bigger sub amp.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:13 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names