Fordmods Logo

A bit of heat in engine bay 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

just thermo wrap from extractor all the way to the tail tip,hehe. paint your rocker cover heat proof black.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Slick wrote:
just thermo wrap from extractor all the way to the tail tip,hehe. paint your rocker cover heat proof black.

I hear that thermo wrap stuff causes them to get wrecked, it also usually voids there warrenty!

If your cars not over heating I would worry about it. But I guess vents would be a good way of letting traped heat out.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

first make sure your extractors and exhaust are well painted in heat proof paint then wrap them in thermal tape. (the reason for painting is to ensure any moisture that gets trapped between the tape and exhaust wont cause rusting) and i would also recomend well place bonnet vents.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

So ironryu, how is reducing the underbonet heat coming along.

I ask because although mine EF is not too hot (very subjective), i would like to reduce it further as the heat does cause problems.
In case of my EF, the heat fries the covering on the throttle cable which falls off exposing the metal spiral winding. This then causes the leads to arc and the car runs badly as a result :(

This seems to be a common problem with EF's judging by what i see at the wreckers, so it isn't correct to say that undrbonet heat is a non issue. Any more heat than what the manufacturer designed the engine bay components to handle will cause them to fail sooner than expected. Usually everything is made to the cheepest standard :x

Cheers

PS: Have you checked your water temperature sender to ensure it is sending a true reading to your temperature gauge ?

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA Falcon

QLD, Australia

Quote:
I hear that thermo wrap stuff causes them to get wrecked, it also usually voids there warrenty!

If your cars not over heating I would worry about it. But I guess vents would be a good way of letting traped heat out.

So did I, because the tape keeps the heat in he extractors, then it cools down really quickly and could cause them to cracK?

1989 EA Falcon MPI (Converted! YAY!)
2.5" Sports System, Lowered, Thermofans, XG Snorkel
Result: 108.4rkw (145hp)

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

ok i posted ideas for this in another thread
first off make sure your cooling system is good ( ie fans,rad,coolant,thermostat etc )

1, remove the rubber stip on the top of the firewall, this allows more aire flow
ie heat to move through the engine bay.
2, some ef/el style bonnet vents as these are desgined to extract hot air out
out of the engine bay
3, HPC coating on the extractors, mucg better than the wrap and looks
smicko!
4, if after thsi still too hot add some washers to the bonnet hiunge bolts as this will rais the trailign edge of the bonnet and allow heat to escape over the windsheild

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
4, if after thsi still too hot add some washers to the bonnet hiunge bolts as this will rais the trailign edge of the bonnet and allow heat to escape over the windsheild

exactly what i was gunna write, this works wonders, but unfortunately looks a bit how you going.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

thermal tape will not cool down the extractors more quickly in fact it does the opposite by not being conductive thus allows them to cool more slowly. The reason the tape will wreck the extractors is if the extractors are not well painted then condensation will cause them to rust. In regards to the ceramic coating, it looks far better and works very well but its expensive and does not perform as well as quality thermo tape.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

How much does thermal tape / lagging tape cost??

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

I dont know what models have it, but I removed the fire/sound barrier material from the under side of the bonnet to allow more air flow under the hood when I got the paceys.. This resulted in the bonnet becoming almost hot enough to burn you after a long drive so worrying about what that might do to the paint I put it back on.
But im sure it would have helped cool the engine bay.

If anyone can comment on wether this would be bad for the paint im all ears.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bug wrote:
I dont know what models have it, but I removed the fire/sound barrier material from the under side of the bonnet to allow more air flow under the hood when I got the paceys.. This resulted in the bonnet becoming almost hot enough to burn you after a long drive so worrying about what that might do to the paint I put it back on.

I'm wondering the same thing - I think EF's actually come from the factory with no insulation blanket at all?

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Bug wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing - I think EF's actually come from the factory with no insulation blanket at all?

Mid 96 EF GLi's do have blankets under the bonnet and they need them.
Remember the coolant thermostat is fully open at 103-106C - ford runs their falcon engines hot :)

Cheers.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

my jackaroo has no insulation on the bonnet and i have extractors so i am talking from experience when i say it WILL damage the paint. Also there is far more clearance between my extractors and bonnet in my jackaroo than in my falcon and the jackeroo has better cooling ducts so i wouldnt remove the insulation.

In regards to the thermal tape i know you can get it quite cheap on ebay, just remember that when comparing prices compare both length and width of the tape and include about $2 for each clamp you will need to hold the tape to the extractors. I wouldent bother about wrapping any more than the extractors to just past the cat.

Remeber give everything you are going to wrap a few good coats of high temp paint. (its cheap insurance)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2