Fordmods Logo

a tricky idling problem... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: a tricky idling problem...
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xf

New Zealand

gday, ive got an ed motor in an ex- carbed xf. the conversion was relatively straightforward and goes bloody well... exept one thing. when we first got it goin she idled high, then sorted itself out. as time passed it developed abit of a miss at idle, like it will just drop for a split second then come straight back to idle. it then started dropping quite low quite fequently hearing the idle up solenoid kickin in to bring it right up high the drop back to idle then give abit of a miss. this usually happens over a week or three and most of the time resetting the computer sets it right for a week, sometimes ill reset it 3 or 4 times and will still idle like s**t. it has no pattern to the miss, and does not seem to affect anything under full load, is just a b**ch trying to roll down the street in first or second. in the early days i would replace things and reset the computer and would idle mint for a week then turn sour on me again. coil, dizzy, rotor, leads, plugs, fuel filter, map sensor have all been replaced along with trying an aftermarket fuel reg, different ecus, havnt got my hands on an actual ed ecu, XFWAGON sold me one he thought was a manual ecu but according to the catch codes on here its an xg one or something, and doesnt fix the problem anyway. ive replaced the ed fuel pump i had with what i thinks an ebll one, no difference there, although wondering if having the fuel pump straight off the ol xf sender in the xf tank might be doin it. its 5 speed with the resistors soldered in the old auto loom to supposedly tell the ecu where to idle. i tested all the power readings from the ecu pinouts when it was idling mint and everything seemed in order. checked for vaccum leaks and replaced intake manifold gasket was preety much the first thing i did. its just really getting to me how unreliable the damn problem is, if it was a reliable problem it would be a lot easier to sort out :roll: anyay thanks for reading, and any ideas will be very helpful.

NMASIS - '89 XF. ED transplant engine, T5 with billet shortshifter, H/D clutch, adj fuel press reg, pod filter, 2.5'' exhaust, LSD, linelocker.
wishlist - DSR 480 turbo, big fat alloy radiator and a nine inch. oh and money. ha.

Post subject: Re: a tricky idling problem...
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xf

New Zealand

oh come on someones gotta have some idea?.. automatic choke or something?

NMASIS - '89 XF. ED transplant engine, T5 with billet shortshifter, H/D clutch, adj fuel press reg, pod filter, 2.5'' exhaust, LSD, linelocker.
wishlist - DSR 480 turbo, big fat alloy radiator and a nine inch. oh and money. ha.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]