Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg's
Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 02 BA XR6T

SA, Australia

Out of interest, has anyone here got an adjustable FPR? How much do they cost for different brands (malpassi ones seem to be around $200) and how hard are they to fit? I was wondering because I wouldnt mind getting one, fitting it myself and then having a dyno run to tune the best AFR. What sort of AFPR is best for falcons, do you need one specifically for a N/A car, cos I’ve also seen ones with different ratios such as 1:1, 2:1, 1.8:1 etc.

The reason I ask is because at a dyno day at Blackwood Dyno Tune (Adelaide), they showed us the adjustable FPR, and my car was the test mule as my AFR droped to 10.4:1 at WOT. My rwkw went from 110 to 115rwkw with one in place, and 118rwkw without intake piping on. When I rang them a while after that day (around a year) all they wanted to do was sell me a unichip for $1200, instead of the $300 fitted I had been quoted a year before for the FPR. I am wondering if anyone else had done it (mainly elsewhere) in Adelaide.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I think what they were doing at BDT was applying vaccum to the factory regulator at WOT, this has the effect of lowering FP to what it would be at with vac in the system - i.e not WOT.

Same effect as an AFPR as you can adjust the fuel pressure at idle (i.e. lower it) and hence have lower FP at WOT.

Unichip a different way to achieve similar result - except this is actually decreasing the injector pulse width via the ECU to lean the A/F ratio, they can also much with the timing.

I think most nat asp AFPRs are 1:1 - a muiltiple ratio rising rate is more for forced induction to increase with boost (i.e. the 12:1 i use). It should be noted that most regulators increase the fuel pressure as vacuum decreases (i.e. as throttle opens more).

You'd probably be able to fit it yourself.

Malpassi seems to be a popular brand.... dunno much about these myself - i use a vortech rising rate. Maybe get in touch with Mr Landau - i know he does AFPRs for the V8, maybe see if he has anything for the I6 (SA based and support those that support fordmods!).

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

Lee,

Chris (MightyEFGhia, Soft, ManWhoreRacing, whaever he is called these days lol) has an adjstable regulator fitted by BDT. He gained 7-8rwkw and helped with the fuel ecconomy. Funny thing is tho, the EEC seems to learn arround it. With no change to the regulator, his car went back on the dyno, low and behold, 11.0:1 AFR again.

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 02 BA XR6T

SA, Australia

Well, that certainly sucks then. So does that mean if you have one fitted that it will always re-learn around it? guess it wouldnt be worth the expense if it did that. Anyone else experienced this?

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Walkinshaw wrote:
Lee,

Chris (MightyEFGhia, Soft, ManWhoreRacing, whaever he is called these days lol) has an adjstable regulator fitted by BDT. He gained 7-8rwkw and helped with the fuel ecconomy. Funny thing is tho, the EEC seems to learn arround it. With no change to the regulator, his car went back on the dyno, low and behold, 11.0:1 AFR again.

Lol, that's f**ked up Dan. I can understand EEC targeting an AF in closed loop but suprising to hear it reverted back to 11s at WOT. Perhaps this is part of EEC's long term strategy? i.e. can apply compensation similar to what it does with low voltage to increase pulse width in open loop.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]