Fordmods Logo

Adjusting the idle speed 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Sorry guys I should have done this straight away. I'm a bit slack lately 8-) Turning that idle screw alone is a temporary fix. I've done this many times. The ECU will learn around it and the idle will drop back down.

This worked for my EF Fairmont, should be the same for the EL.

Try this for size:

Run the engine to normal operating temp. Stop engine and carefully (using an alligator clip from Tandy, or similar), bridge terminals A (pin 1 top row) to terminal B (pin 1 on second row) of the diagnostic plug in socket. Pin's 1 and 2 are on the left hand side in the socket.

1) With ignition off, disconnect the ISC solenoid connector.

2) Insert a 0.75mm feeler gauge between the throttle lever stop tab and the base idle screw.

** This next step is to be completed within 2 minutes of starting the engine, if more time is needed, stop engine for 15 seconds and restart)**

3) Start engine and allow the engine to idle for one minute. Do not touch the throttle pedal. If engine stalls, turn idle screw clockwise 1/2 turn and start again. Do this until the engine no longer stalls.

4) If the idle speed is within 600 - 800 rpm, no adjustment should be required. If you insist on a higher idle, increase screw clockwise.

5) If normal adjustment is required, adjust the base idle speed screw to achieve a speed between 700 + or - 50 rpm. I'd suggest between 750 and 800 rpm if your having persistent problems, then have your ISC or ECU checked by a mechanic.

6) Engine still running, disconnect the self test bridge wire or clip.

7) Switch the ignition Off and connect the ISC solenoid wiring connector.

End.

Post subject: Re: Adjusting the idle speed
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont EL (1998)

VIC, Australia

Hello,

Just few questions as I'm looking to adjust the idle speed in my EL in the next few days. May sound like stupid questions :oops:

1. What is the reason behind bridging the terminals A (pin 1 top row which is Engine STI) to terminal B (pin 1 on second row which is Engine Ground) of the diagnostic plug in socket?

2. What is the reason behind inserting a 0.75mm feeler gauge between the throttle lever stop tab and the base idle screw?

3. Do I have to disconnect the battery and follow the ECU relearn process again once I complete the adjusting the idle speed process?

Any help/advise is appreciated.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2