Fordmods Logo

Advancing the timing 

Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Advancing the timing
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Ghia '03

Damn. Does the timing retard itself to a safe point in the EL's due to the knock sensor? I'll knock it back tomorrow and see how it goes.

I seen this pic in another topic about timing, is this where it should be at?

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I run my car at 8 degrees, a little high tho.
computer can fight the timing so you can't over adjust the timing too far, that looks like what you've done.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:12 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Tech90 wrote:
Damn. Does the timing retard itself to a safe point in the EL's due to the knock sensor? I'll knock it back tomorrow and see how it goes.

I seen this pic in another topic about timing, is this where it should be at?

the knock sensor only retards the timing momentary at times of pinging, then returns to normal..

this pic is about 2-4 deg advanced, std the line is ment to line up with the pointer, but they can take a few deg advance without issues...

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Okay then. I'll try to get the mark around there tomorrow and see how it goes. How do I find out if it's pinging exactly?

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

mines sitting at about there, i chucked $20 worth of 95 in it today and no issue, could feel i lost a bit of power though, before i could run 91 with e10 or 98 with hardly any noticable difference at all, now i can tell with the fuel economy between 95 and 98, i think im going to back mine off a little bit, mine seems to be at a guess about 4 deg btdc in diagnostic mode, would prefer it back at 2 btdc

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

What was it running with better economy? 95 or 98? I got the timing to the pic that I posted, so I'm guessing I now have it around 4 degrees BTDC. Felt better than yesterday but we'll see how it goes with a full tank and I may have to advance or retard it just a little bit more if needed.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

98 is best with advanced timing, but you want it to be able to run on 95 octane incase you cant get 98 and your stuck with running 95

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

I know what you mean. I just might have to chuck in a bit of 95 and see if it pings. I just have to find that exact point where both 95 and 98 is runnable but if the timing is advanced any more it will start pinging.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i wouldnt go any further than what troyman had his advanced in his video, hes a smart man and would know where a good point to advance is :D

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

I think mine's around the same spot as his in the video, I'll see how it goes anyway.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i backed mine off to standard again because i felt like i was getting terrible economy but the standard timing seems to be the same, so it could be because i only put $30 in at a time and the price of fuel has gone up so im getting less petrol, im doing a test as of today with the standard timing and a full tank of 98, once empty ill write down how much kms i got, reset the base timing back at a good amount(roughly where troyman has it in his video or a little more) and then we will see what economy i get from each setting, i always seem to do the same driving every week so it should be a fair result

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I recently did a headgasket on a el and had to Reset the terminal, you brige the furthest left terminal on the 16pin and the one below it, then start the motor, it will rev up then settle, you then have 1 minute to adjust the timing then you have to remove the bridge before turning the car off.
It looked to be sitting Around 6deg advanced but any lower it didn't run quite right. As soon as it was out of diag mode the marks almost lined up.
This car was on LPG tho.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford EL

VIC, Australia

Hi,
I have an duel fuel EL and i advanced my timing to about 7-8 degrees and its so much better but i run mostly LPG and i want to know how much i can run up to?

Thanks

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4