Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Advise wanted, buying E series
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

louie0408 wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:
im really picky with my NF (its basically a EF) i mean really picky like even a slightest sign of something being faulty and ill change it/fix it and the only thing ive done besides standard maintenance things like oil, spark plugs etc thats critical to the car working was the water pump and it has 282,000 k's on it and almost everything has its original ford logos on them

they are incredibly reliable and despite common belief if driven properly and looked after well can get good economy to :) and they can go forever i know a fella with over 1 mill K's on his e series and the motor hasnt been opened but 600,000 k's as mentioned by EFNA isnt terribly uncommon considering

gearboxes are usually a common issue so make sure it changes its gears fast and hard and when you first get the car its ideal to service the gearbox as a part of the little tune up most people give a car they just bought as most people look over the gearbox

one thing you want to do is listen for a noise from the AC compressor as they should be pretty much silent and they are expensive to have replaced (mine has been replaced not by me but by the previous owner but i have priced them)

a noise of a busted bearing from the idle pully or belt tensioner is pretty much expected as every EF EL between me and my dad we have had to always replace them

JOSE wrote:
dont worry about the oil leaks - i dont remember the last time i saw a SOHC falcon that didnt have atleasta slight oil leak

my EL when i had it never dropped leak on me
and my NF has only ever dropped a few little drops when the power steering hose started leaking that little bit

louie0408 wrote:
the rotors warp easily and often. this is a pain. Ive had them machined twice in a year and they have just done it again, so i need new rotors.

apart from that i have done over 50,000ks in a year and havnt had any major issues.

i know the rotors warp and its common issue but twice in a year mate what do you do brake from 180ks to 0 every day or something ? or are you just trying to scare the poor fella lol

haha yeh tell me about it! Im not very hard on the brakes at all and they keep warping!

have you tried new ones instead of machining your old ones they might be just to gutted

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

yeh they need to be replaced but being the poor student i am i cant afford to. They are only really an issue this time at highway speed and i dont really go on the highway alot at the moment.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the replys guys..Ended up buying a white 97 ghia with 188,000km, seems in pretty reasonable nick for its age and the price. Everything works , pulls like a train and the auto is smooth as silk. Pretty happy with it so far :)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2