AFR vs Power 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: AFR vs Power
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Hey,
Does anyone have some dyno power graphs comparing the power output at different AFR's? preferably for a SOHC engine but it doesnt realy matter. Was wanting to see at what AFR these engines make the best power. Cheers.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Post subject: Re: AFR vs Power
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Dunno if this helps much, but it is something.......

Attachments:
IMGP4790.JPG
IMGP4790.JPG [ 307.58 KiB | Viewed 240 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

shyun wrote:
Hey,
Does anyone have some dyno power graphs comparing the power output at different AFR's? preferably for a SOHC engine but it doesnt realy matter. Was wanting to see at what AFR these engines make the best power. Cheers.

AFR is a reading that tells you that you Air - Fuel ratio is correct, ie not running too rich or too lean.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:13 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
shyun wrote:
Hey,

AFR is a reading that tells you that you Air - Fuel ratio is correct, ie not running too rich or too lean.

I know what AFR is, i just want some decent numbers/dyno data showing what's the best value for maximum power in these engines, instead of the generic somewhere between 12-14.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:35 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

usually max power is made around 12-12.5 afr

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The books and manuals I have for EFI tuning consistently say that best power is achieved at 12.5-13.1 AFR for naturally aspirated engine. Any leaner and you risk damage from pinging/detonation. Any richer and you are just wasting fuel. Though it is far preferable to waste a little fuel than it is to burn your pistons.

A more central spark plug does best at the leaner end of the range - the "hemi" SOHC is pretty good on this score. Batch fire injection likes the richer end, sequential injection likes the leaner end - I think up to EL is batch, AU onward is sequential (stand to be corrected). Max cylinder pressure is reached at peak torque (prob 3000-3500 rpm) so this is where it needs to be on the rich side (say 12.5), but AFR can increase with revs above that (to about 13.1). Aluminium heads (like the Falcon) like it a bit leaner and cast iron heads like it a shade richer. A sequential-injected 4-valve-per-cylinder DOHC alloy-head engine might do peak power as high as 13.5 AFR.

Most engines are not very sensitive to AFR and anything in the range of 11.5-13.5 will make little difference to power, as long as it is not detonating. See the video titled "Ignition Timing vs Air Fuel Ratio" at http://www.haltech.com/index.php/suppor ... cal-videos for a comparison of dyno runs at various AFRs (and ignition timings). Power is defintiely more sensitive to ignition timing than it is to AFR. If the engine is pinging, it is losing power (and doing damage); running richer will make more power as the extra fuel cools the charge and supresses the detonation.

The above is all about power at wide open throttle. Idle, part throttle, and overrun are another story completely. Hope this helps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
The books and manuals I have for EFI tuning consistently say that best power is achieved at 12.5-13.1 AFR for naturally aspirated engine. Any leaner and you risk damage from pinging/detonation. Any richer and you are just wasting fuel. Though it is far preferable to waste a little fuel than it is to burn your pistons.

A more central spark plug does best at the leaner end of the range - the "hemi" SOHC is pretty good on this score. Batch fire injection likes the richer end, sequential injection likes the leaner end - I think up to EL is batch, AU onward is sequential (stand to be corrected). Max cylinder pressure is reached at peak torque (prob 3000-3500 rpm) so this is where it needs to be on the rich side (say 12.5), but AFR can increase with revs above that (to about 13.1). Aluminium heads (like the Falcon) like it a bit leaner and cast iron heads like it a shade richer. A sequential-injected 4-valve-per-cylinder DOHC alloy-head engine might do peak power as high as 13.5 AFR.

Most engines are not very sensitive to AFR and anything in the range of 11.5-13.5 will make little difference to power, as long as it is not detonating. See the video titled "Ignition Timing vs Air Fuel Ratio" at http://www.haltech.com/index.php/suppor ... cal-videos for a comparison of dyno runs at various AFRs (and ignition timings). Power is defintiely more sensitive to ignition timing than it is to AFR. If the engine is pinging, it is losing power (and doing damage); running richer will make more power as the extra fuel cools the charge and supresses the detonation.

The above is all about power at wide open throttle. Idle, part throttle, and overrun are another story completely. Hope this helps.

Yeah that's good. Suprised it made so little difference on that honda. Pretty sure i've seen dynos of falcons where just changing the AFR made a reasonable difference though. I run my car at 12.7:1 becuase it seems to be the most widely accepted value, but i'm suprised noone has actually tested this on a dyno.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]