Fordmods Logo

after redback exhaust less power 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: after redback exhaust less power
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: El Futura

VIC, Australia

After installing a redback exhaust ( two mufflers) and hiflow extractors and cat the car seems like it takes off slower, and i have checked all vac hoses ect, and the is no leaks?
any help?

El fututra

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Notwithstanding any other causes, the problem is before the cat.
Not all header pipes are created equal. If I remember correctly, longer flowing thinner pipes are good for improving low end torque [ie greater than factory manifold] and shorter, fatter pipes are better for high end power. Some headers [extractors] do no more than standard specs, just sound better. We used to fit different setups to our cars eg one for towing and another for higher speeds. You may have lost some low end torque but gained high end power due to flow characteristics of your headers, hopefully a member better acquainted with your actual [brand] and model of extractors may be able to clarify if this is so.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

paul is spot on with the header pipe description!

as for loosing power i doubt u have

reset the ecu and run for a week then see how u go

best bet for power is a dyno

seat of the pants is s**t

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Technicaly speaking you should lose a tiny bit of low down torque, but it wont be so noticable,
on my el after fitting 2.5 redback and pacci comps ill say that low end power was the same and mid and high end of the revvs was defanitly heaps more.

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

4dlvr is right IMO, in that a good set of mass produced headers should behave as he says. Disco Frank has picked up something I overlooked, sounds like a good tip. I have a 2.5" custom [read no flash brand] system which I needed for improved grunt and fuel efficiency in towing, but it still improved the top end. My ecu had to reset I think because I had the battery disconnected while welding, so i never thought of it as an issue, the car quickly ran smoother and stronger.
Cheers fellas
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

your exhaust is too big. Cars nowadays need some back pressure.

Ive seen it time and time again. ITs a waste of time putting an exhaust on a stock or near stock motor. The factory manufacturer do years of research to come up with the best package and some people think they know better.

There is a mob called liverpool exhaust, they always say just with an exhaust easy 20 kw at the wheels. That is crap. I dynoed my car stock and with full exhaust system, extractors cats, and got a paultry 7rwkw. Thats a waste of money, hardly noticable.

Probably slower overall as the lack of bottom end is not compensated by a steller top end with 7rwkw more

ED V8, Evolution ends here

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

EB V8 is back to thrash you guys!!

ED V8, Evolution ends here

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EB2 V8 wrote:

Ive seen it time and time again. ITs a waste of time putting an exhaust on a stock or near stock motor. The factory manufacturer do years of research to come up with the best package and some people think they know better.

There is a mob called liverpool exhaust, they always say just with an exhaust easy 20 kw at the wheels. That is crap. I dynoed my car stock and with full exhaust system, extractors cats, and got a paultry 7rwkw. Thats a waste of money, hardly noticable.

Probably slower overall as the lack of bottom end is not compensated by a steller top end with 7rwkw more

haha ebv8 your a f**k idiot, its good to have somone to laugh and flame at again.

exhaust/extractors/cai are the FIRST mods you do to your car you retard. as they help the engine breath better and unlock restricted power, then come the other mods
the reason why ford dosent put exhausts similar to aftermarket ones is because they have to comply with noise restrictions and emmisions. plus not everyone wants a loud exhaust

ive seen e-series with gains as much as 15rwkw with full exhaust system.
i had a paci comps with a 2.5 redback exhaust, no lack of power at low revs but heaps more after 2500rpm

the only thing thats going to be slow is your brain functioning, but once again thats normal for you

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EB2 V8 wrote:

yep, you got bad results therefore everyone else must have. since in no way could your ride have been a pos. Or the type of exhaust used comeing from crazy clarkes since you couldnt afford a real setup judging by your results.

Your a nut.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I could have said it nicer:
"Well in my experience i have seen falcons get an extra x rwkw from an exhaust alone"
See the 6cylinder forum and check the mods sticky at the top, the exhaust and cam packages are recommended to be the first things upgraded.

In my personal experience (not with cars) but with my older 2002model Yamaha WR250F (road reg), the Staintune exhaust was loud as s**t, and took off ok and then went nuts, i got told by an exhaust guy (friend with 30years experience) to get the stock Yamaha YZ250F (race) exhaust), the power was much smoother, much better overall but not quite as loud, smoother and easier to control and ride faster.
Thats in my experience, thats apparently not the case for the Falcons.
Matt

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

VIC, Australia

ok, I have the long piped flowing genies, what should I expect, low or high power... I admit im not much of a brain with exhausts

mmmmmmmmmunchy!

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

EB2 V8 wrote:

the only reason those exhausts are put on is to meet propper emitions standards. sxtractors and a larger pipe meet basic emitions.

if people are expecting 100 HORSE OUT OF MY NEW WIKID SIK ZORST! they are going to be dissapointed. Manufactures dont make exhausts to restrict power at all

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

And lets face it, its mostly the sound that has us all!! I just love dropping her down to second at the lights 100m before and just hearing the hotdog throw out cracks and burbles!! And I am gonna beat someone to it....... "maybe Im a wanker!" But I personally like the sound. Also even if it doesnt give you much power atw, it sure sounds like it does..My mates stock BAxr6 sounds like a light saber from starwars, even at full rev's- wheres the glory in that? :roll:

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
And lets face it, its mostly the sound that has us all!! I just love dropping her down to second at the lights 100m before and just hearing the hotdog throw out cracks and burbles!! And I am gonna beat someone to it....... "maybe Im a wanker!" But I personally like the sound. Also even if it doesnt give you much power atw, it sure sounds like it does..My mates stock BAxr6 sounds like a light saber from starwars, even at full rev's- wheres the glory in that? :roll:

You know why i changed my zorst?

(the old one was f**k)
AND 'if you see it before you hear it, whats the point?'

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A GOOD headers and exhaust combo is the best thing you can do for you engine on a singular basis, especially with the falcons. The stock item is made on the cheap, to be easily installed on mass assembaly lines, and to be as quiet as possible. These 3 factors combining make it very profitable to get a good setup installed. Not only will you make more power, your engines "response" is greatly improved. Meaning it will pick up to higher RPM faster than before, thus increasing acceleration.

Its not hard.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]