Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AFTERMARKET VCT camshaft orded today
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I got hold of JMM today and got a VCT cam package ordered today through JMM it is NOT a regrind and from what JMM has informed me the output should be up in the 170-185rwkw mark depending on the tune with my J3 chip to suit the total package (valve springs/retainers/cam/and tune was $850 im happy to pay that if as he has said will make the 170+rwkw mark also i am getting the head ported too to allow for it to work to its full potential should have the goodies here within 10 days as it will be sent next week sometime as lucky for me i ordered a MSD window switch as the VCT unit is to be activated at 3200 and the BBM still at 3800 so it will be interesting to see how it all goes i will have to keep you updated on the progress

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Post subject: Re: AFTERMARKET VCT camshaft orded today
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

whats your plan with the wade cam?:)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

PM SENT

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Subscribed :)

Interested to see how this goes.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cheers XR-Lane i thought you'd want to watch this lol and i bet TROYMAN will probably too lol since we all seem to be running VCT gear haha

Last edited by EDXR6-Poly on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

just thought id tell yous what it accually is
it is more /less the DEV5-SS VCT and i have pretty much on the motor at the motor as it is from spec and the head is actually getting ported by him

kit concludes of DEV "Street-Fighter" Headers, Modified Cat, 2.5" Hi-Performance Mandrel bent exhaust, Hi-Flow Intake Kit, DEV-VCT Cam kit, Special Valve Springs & Retainers, "Race-Series" Head to full race specifications, Special Spark Plugs and Ignition Leads, JMM Ultimate Sequential Computer and Custom Dyno Tuning.

i have -
*the headers Pacey 4480's
*200 cpi high flow cat (JMM recommends at least a 100 cpi)
*full 3" mandrel exhaust
*high flow intake (s/s 3"piping)
*leads, XR6T plugs
and package has -
*VCT camshaft (JMM wont release the specs)
*valve springs/retainers
*tuning
added cost to above kit are -
*sequential fuel injection (to change it ) $250
*dyno to fine tune the chip (if wanted) $100 p/h PLUS parts if required
*Head porting (sending head to him) $400 plus freight

total cost for a guaranteed 170rwkw (with dyno @ 1.5 hours)
$$$$1700.oo

not bad i guess considering the out come and was guaranteed because of the motor being still new (under 50k old)

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

How does the "sequential fuel injection computer" work? is this a complete new computer?

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

the original ecu is used but has an edit installed from what JMM says its installed into the ecu its self ? (im guessing its soldered into the circuit board?) ill have to find mor out about that part on monday when i call him back to pay for it all?

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:56 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

interesting!!!
im interested how the sequential will work..
it will definatly need a engine loom rewire.
as e series only have 2 sets of wires running to the 6 injectors, i positive wire for all 6 and 1 trigger for the front 3 and another for the rear 3..

a sequential set up needs a positive wire and 6 individual trigger wires, 1 for each injector..

watching with interest....

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
interesting!!!
im interested how the sequential will work..
it will definatly need a engine loom rewire.
as e series only have 2 sets of wires running to the 6 injectors, i positive wire for all 6 and 1 trigger for the front 3 and another for the rear 3..

a sequential set up needs a positive wire and 6 individual trigger wires, 1 for each injector..

watching with interest....

Thats what I thought too!, Unless he was going to run an AU ECU but then you would need the Crank trigger ect!

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU III XR6 VCT

SA, Australia

very interesting you mention all this.
im looking @ doing a similar thing but with cresent motor sports. prob get a stage 2/3 head up grade and a ground cam to suit. alto its a regrind. but joe @ CMS rekns i'll get good numbers if its all done.

so sorry what chip are you using. i need to get me one.

AU III XR6 VCT motor
17" ticford rims
Aroma Blue paint
4499 Pacemaker Headers
3" Kenobi 100 CPSI Race Cat into 2.5" Custom Exhaust With a Lukey Race Muffler
Custom Big Air Intake with K&N filter
0-100 seconds in 7.seconds

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[quote="EDXR6-Poly"
total cost for a guaranteed 170rwkw (with dyno @ 1.5 hours)
$$$$1700.oo

not bad i guess considering the out come and was guaranteed because of the motor being still new (under 50k old)[/quote]

What happens if 170rwkw is not achieved ?

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i guess i leave it at that and go to a forced induction from there but if its 168rwkw etc im not fussed aslong as its making the 170rwkw area id be happy with that price

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

I'm watching with interest also! Who will tune the car after cam is fitted, seeing as you're in QLD?

If you get near the results quoted, there will be plenty of vct owners going for that cam I suspect.

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 VCT & AU2 XL

NSW, Australia

Hi and good luck with the VCT camshaft ED-XR6 Poly. Looking forward with real interest! I would like to contribute with what I have learnt so far as I really want to see what these motors are capable of.

I have two AU Falcons one of which is an auto AU1 VCT with a 4480 pacie headers, stock cat & 2.5" mandrel exhaust. Stock intake/snorkel/filter, which IMO starts killing power above 120rwkw.

I also have Sniper tuning software that i've been playing with. On Thursday night I had a dyno session to establish some base-line tuning and comparisons with the VCT timing with those two runs having the same commanded WOT A/F 12.7 = 0.867 Lambda and max 24 deg ignition timing - playing it safe.

The stock VCT rpm point is 2950 - solenoid 'low' ie de-energised and the camshaft is back in the normal state. Prior to this it is in the solenoid 'high' position which advances the camshaft 10 (camshaft) degrees.

I found that keeping the VCT advanced (solenoid 'high') the power was reduced 4% from 135.4rwkw @ 156kmh (AF 12.0) to 130.2rwkw @ 146kmh (AF 11.6).

Looking at the various runs, here are my observations - stock camshaft/intake.
* Between 2950 & 4300 rpm there was no difference (1-2Nm either way) between 'high' & 'low'.
* After 4300 rpm the 'low' non-advanced state held it's torque much better.
* 'low' had more power than the peak for the 'high' advanced cam from 140 to 172kmh!
* low' had 125rwkw @ 180kmh (5600rpm), the 'high' had 125rwkw @ 160kmh (5030rpm).

Using the commanded A/F should show a steady line. I had deviations which show some enrichment/enleanment table changes needing to be made. (My AU2 XL ute - was rock steady incidentally - vary just 0.3 A/F from 1500rpm to 5250rpm)

Anyway, the two VCT timing runs can be used to compare effectively the VE of the motor.
Very similar up to 100kmh.
100kmh (3400rpm) – 11.9 (high) – 12.0 (low) = 1%
120kmh (3900rpm) – 11.7 (high) – 11.8 (low) = 1%
140kmh (4500rpm) – 11.7 (high) – 11.9 (low) = 2%
160kmh (5000rpm) - 11.3 (high) – 12.0 (low) = 6%
168kmh (5220rpm) - 11.1 (high) – 11.9 (low) = 7%
180kmh (5600rpm) – N/A (high) – 11.7 (low) = N/A

So, the VCT results were exactly as the theory suggests. Advanced cam makes better down low (like having a smaller LSA) – but robs power from higher up. The VCT breathed 7% better at 5220rpm with camshaft in the neutral position versus the advanced position!

Lastly, a question! What specs are the JMM VCT camshaft? Lobe centres, built in advance, peak lift, durations etc? What are the stock information? From the Gregory’s manual it says the lobe lift (rockers 1.8) only.

Phil

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next