Fordmods Logo

Air Con not working 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Air Con not working
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Hey guys my air con doesn't work and it is getting a bit hot to have to go without one, i thought the problem could be the vaccum hoses, the black one that comes out of the firewall on the passenger side is connected to the black grommet like thing, the next to it is a green one that has a larger black hose on the end of it but it is not connected to anything ! Should it be ?

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Post subject: Re: Air Con not working
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the green hose goes to the heater tap..

in regards to the aircon, does the air con compressor turn on when you press the ac button..

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:

in regards to the aircon, does the air con compressor turn on when you press the ac button..

Troyman, from your experience what the main cause of aircon's stopping. I know it stops when there's no gas but if it's gassed, what's the cause? Mine stopped working before I did the engine changeover and still won't go when the aircon button is on. Blue light on switch doesn't come on either.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

On my ute (XH) the green and black hoses connect to a plastic "tree" on the back of the manifold, underneath where you cant see it. When they were off, the a/c still worked, but it would only come out thru the screen vents..

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:55 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

Troyman, from your experience what the main cause of aircon's stopping. I know it stops when there's no gas but if it's gassed, what's the cause? Mine stopped working before I did the engine changeover and still won't go when the aircon button is on. Blue light on switch doesn't come on either.

depends in what model..
if its a gli/xr/s pac!
and there is gas, i would check if there is voltage on the power wire to the pump..
if no voltage,check the thermostat on the heater box,you can check the wac relay, you can then look at the hi/lo pressure switch in the tx valve..
if you join those 2 wires together it bypasses the hi/lo pressure switch..
i only recomend bypassing it to test only..
climate control models are a bit different
otherwise the temp thermostat in the heater box..

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

I can hear some noise when turning it on so i assume that the compressor is working ! But apart from that i dont know how else to tell !

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Thanks Troyman. Some more valuable info. I've got an EA GL & wasn't sure where to start looking for faults. Got to get it fixed before I melt this summer.

Sorry peaandham if I'm hi-jacking your thrread, I was after an answer that might help both of us.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ok shortshift...

Attachment:
EA EB ED Factory Manual Voumel 2.pdf [25.07 KiB]
Downloaded 562 times

If the light isn't coming on in the button then it appears your heater/ac fan fuse would have to be blown, or something is unplugged in your dash... Power comes out of accy from your barrel and then through the fuse to the AC switch, if the switch is on it should come out the switch to the indicator and then it is tied to ground...

peaandham,

Does your button light come on? Vac hoses wont stop anything... The small black hose should be connected to the manifold tree for main vacuum into the car and dark green is connected to the heater tap... Or in my case where I don't run a heater tap it needs to be blocked off so it can't suck air...

Have you had the system checked for gas? If it is low on gas the compressor wont pull in to protect itself... This is done by the hi/lo switch as Troy mentioned...

Does the clutch actually pull in on the compressor or not?

If you are sure it has gas check for a closed circuit accross the pressure switch... check for power to both sides of the switch... If not investigate the button and dash wiring or the WAC relay as shown in the diagram above...

On E series without auto climate it's a fairly straight forward system...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]