Air Con Pump on EL Fairmont 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Air Con Pump on EL Fairmont
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 96 EF Fairmont

NT, Australia

Hi All,
Long time lurker but new to the forum! I recently had to change the air con pump on my EL Fairmont 96 but 3 weeks later it has seized again and snapped the fan belt. Ive been looking around and reading here - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1567063 - its mentioned that it could be a blocked A/C condenser. How can the condenser blow the pump can someone explain and does anyone else have any experience why it would go so quickly again?
Thanks,
Jerry

Post subject: Re: Air Con Pump on EL Fairmont
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Was the compressor filled with proper compressor oil prior to install? Or did it come pre-filled? The TX valve has a pressure switch in it which is a combination hi lo pressure switch... If it see's no gas then it will turn the compressor off... If it sees too much pressure it'll kick the compressor out to prevent damage... If the condenser was blocked then I would imagine it would go out on high pressure... Be more likely the tiny jet in the TX valve was blocked than the condenser I'd reckon... If air flow was blocked through the condenser you would notice the air not being cold... For it to seize it would have had to be making an obnoxious noise either from lack of oil or excessive pressure (right up the the squealing belt when it stalled)...

Was the drier changed? Anytime the system is opened the drier is supposed to be changed to help keep the new gas filtered... The system wasn't left open for any length of time to prevent moisture ingress? System was vac'd down completely prior to gas going in and correct amount of gas was charged into the system?

Considered the new pump may have been faulty?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Bit more info would be nice - new/old items? What happened to the old compressor? and so on, so we don't need to fill pages up with asking these same questions.

The receiver/drier and condensor are downstream from the compressor - if the old compressor has shed metal . . . . .

The belt pulley runs all the time, sealed bearing, so it can be replaced out - the clutch/pump section may be okay.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 96 EF Fairmont

NT, Australia

Sorry should have given more info. It's a run around car only do second hand part. The first one just smoked up one night. Didn't re gas the system afterwards.
3 weeks later it started whinging / rattling. Next day on my way to town to get it looked at it snapped the belt. Pump is completely sized when I try to turn it. I don't actually want or need the air con, just need the car running. I have a friend who will fit parts but just not sure what to change as I don't want to be constantly changing this compressor.
Cheers,
Jerry

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:30 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

is the compressor pulley siezed (where belt sits-may be able to remove just it and replace bearing)or the compressor internals(pulley will turn but center won't)-

replace compressor then Don't gas system then it won't matter what is blocked -
if old compressor siezed system needs at least- flush new tx valve and r/dryer other wise oil circulation is reduced+ metal fragments = siezed compressor again

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]