Fordmods Logo

Air cond blowing warm air in NA Fairlane 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Air cond blowing warm air in NA Fairlane
Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi guys, turned on the A/C for the first time in the Fairlane yesterday, only got warm air...this is the climate control one so I'm wondering if its electrical (the panel's a bit dodgy with flickering lights etc)

So I'm wondering if anyone's got hints or tips to diagnose where to start? Does the A/C have a separate fuse?

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Post subject: Re: Air cond blowing warm air in NA Fairlane
Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Unless the blend motor is stuffed the other thing is check if the gas hasnt leaked out over time. take it to an auto elec and get a diagnostics run on it shouldn't cost more than $50. There's too many things that could be going on. BTW you should try turn your A/C on at least once a week to keep the seals in good order.

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

javier86 wrote:
Unless the blend motor is stuffed the other thing is check if the gas hasnt leaked out over time. take it to an auto elec and get a diagnostics run on it shouldn't cost more than $50. There's too many things that could be going on. BTW you should try turn your A/C on at least once a week to keep the seals in good order.

Cheers....so if this blend motor is stuffed is that what turns on the compressor etc? I haven't even opened the bonnet while trying this yet so not even sure if the compressors turning on or not.. I think I need to do a bit more investigation but yeh thanks for the response!

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

No worries... the blend motor is what switches between the heater and a/c to achieve a desired temp its only in the high series cars Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane etc. If its that its a dash out job if it the compressor than just change that, it could have a slow gas leak, etc. There's to many variables if you have the timne to fault find then start with compressor and check if it enagaging then go from there.

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

javier86 wrote:
No worries... the blend motor is what switches between the heater and a/c to achieve a desired temp its only in the high series cars Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane etc. If its that its a dash out job if it the compressor than just change that, it could have a slow gas leak, etc. There's to many variables if you have the timne to fault find then start with compressor and check if it enagaging then go from there.

Cheers, thanks again for your advice - much appreciated.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hi guys, turned on the A/C for the first time in the Fairlane yesterday, only got warm air...this is the climate control one so I'm wondering if its electrical (the panel's a bit dodgy with flickering lights etc)

So I'm wondering if anyone's got hints or tips to diagnose where to start? Does the A/C have a separate fuse?

Have you checked the heater tap?

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
tearlejc wrote:

Have you checked the heater tap?

yeh haven't really had a chance to check anything at this stage...basically was driving along yesterday and decided to try it and yes, interesting you mention the heater tap because the air was actually warm - if it was just the a/c not working you'd expect normal ambient temp but yeh this is warm....I suspect the a/c compressors not kicking in, and also when its been colder (only had the car a few weeks now) the heater wasn't super hot either....which makes me think either there's something up with the climate control `brains' or the blend door motor.

I was half wondering about skirting around the climate control and just controlling the heater tap and a/c compressor power more manually - e.g. 12 v into the a/c compressor to get it to turn on , and manual cable or whatever on the heater tap...this is, after all, just a cheapie so while it'd be nice to have air over summer I don't want to pull the dash out just to fix it....

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If the heater tap is not getting vaccume it will default to open (Heat).

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
If the heater tap is not getting vaccume it will default to open (Heat).

ah OK....now these are all vacuum controlled from the blend motor then, is that correct?

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

All E series taps are Vac Control, AU as well. Not sure on BA/BF/FG.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

cool - gives me a few things to check...so...if I check for 12 v at the compressor that should give me a few clues....what if I had the climate control panel set for a/c, heater tap with vacuum applied, then fed 12v into the compressor ( assuming it doesn't have it already) - it hopefully should kick in?

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Check the hose going to the heater tap, stiff plastic tube with a small section of rubber hose. Start the car and get someone to move the heater control from cold to hot while you watch the heter tap, you should see the tap arm move. If it doesn't could mean you arn't getting vacumme.

You can also run the car from cold and check the air, if it heats up as the car warms then the heater tap is open. Could also be a rusted out heater tap. Available from Supercheap or Bursons.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cheers SWC as I said before really appreciate your help!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]