Fordmods Logo

air fuel ratio gauge, oxygen sensor? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: air fuel ratio gauge, oxygen sensor?
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok im looking at fitting a air-fuel ratio gauge in, i already have a spot for it (currently filled with a oil pressure gauge :lol: ). ive heard a wide band oxygen sensor is needed to make the gauge function properly. just wondering if this is just a simple plug in sensor that won't stuff up anything else... eg. the standard tune on the car. also if anyone knows the part number/style of sensor i need would be great.
thanks

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: air fuel ratio gauge, oxygen sensor?
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

no it shouldnt do anything just make sure you weld the bung after the factory sensor or the opposite side of the collector is the best place

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:40 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it depends on the type of afr gauge your using, if its a std type of gauge you can tap into the factory 02 sensor, but if you are going with a proper wideband set up, you will need to get another 02 sensor bung welded into your exhaust

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I think if you had bough a wide band meter it would have come with the needed sensor and mounting bung.

If it's just a rich-stoich-lean type gauge then any 0-1v sensor should work and you can tap into the cars stock sensor.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

im guessing theirs no way of just changing the factory sensor to a wide band? because i really don't want to have to get holes drilled in the exhaust just for a gauge. and yes i would be going wide band as from what ive heard narrow band gauges just jump all over the place

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AUII

NSW, Australia

Just buy an Innovate LC-1, or MTX-L. They fit right where the stock sensor goes, you then just hook up the controller (I have the LC-1, you need to supply it power - it outputs two analogue signals, one to simulate the narrowband that hooks up to the stock narrowband signal and another signal that can be programmed for whatever your guage needs).

The MTX-L goes one step further in that it actually has a guage with the controller built in, this would make it even easier (about the same price too).

Thanks, Thomas.

My Megasquirt 3 install: here

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 pm 

NSW, Australia

its not the gauge that causes the jumping all over the place its the narrow voltage range the 02 operates at, when the afr gauge jumps up and down its showing that the ecu is changing and reading the signal in closed loop mode, but on full throttle the narrow band will read a stable reading, i have a narrow band gauge running of a bosch 4 wire lsm2 sensor and it works fine but im not running the std ecu..

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
its not the gauge that causes the jumping all over the place its the narrow voltage range the 02 operates at, when the afr gauge jumps up and down its showing that the ecu is changing and reading the signal in closed loop mode, but on full throttle the narrow band will read a stable reading, i have a narrow band gauge running of a bosch 4 wire lsm2 sensor and it works fine but im not running the std ecu..

Just a bit of food for thought

If someone has a cheap air fuel gauge

Could they run a new bung hole into there exhaust system and use a OEM wide band sensor , e,g i have heard the VT-VZ LS1 commodore 02 sensor is a wide band set up

While retaining the stock 02 sensor for the factory ECU

Any thoughts ?

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 am 

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

Could they run a new bung hole into there exhaust system and use a OEM wide band sensor , e,g i have heard the VT-VZ LS1 commodore 02 sensor is a wide band set up

Any thoughts ?

yes you can

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

When I bought a wideband kit for my car, I was told the sensor only lasts about 100 hours.. I only use it when I'm actually tuning my car.

EL Ghia

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

Any thoughts ?

yes you can

Nice sounds awesome so this will make the cheap gauge read a little more "accurate" ?

now would anyone have any suggestions which oem sensors would be best to use

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

TyLeR3397 wrote:
When I bought a wideband kit for my car, I was told the sensor only lasts about 100 hours.. I only use it when I'm actually tuning my car.

I have had my wideband O2 sensor in for way more than 100 hrs.....I have it as a permanent fixure, and I use it as a tuning tool too.
Mine is an Innovate Motorsport branded one, an LC-1......cost me $300.....and I installed it myself.
The AFR indicator is near the clock.

Attachments:
IMGP4810.JPG
IMGP4810.JPG [ 322.11 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]
IMGP5255.JPG
IMGP5255.JPG [ 423.61 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]