Aircon Compressor on AUII 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Aircon Compressor on AUII
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

G'day people,

Hopefully someone might provide me with some technical know how on what I need to do to remove an aircon compressor that is suspected of having a leak and fitting a good second hand unit.

Took my car to a place that does aircon regas etc, bloke went over it and said he suspects the compressor is / has been leaking gas as there is bugger all gas left in the system.

To fit a new one, install , regas and oil etc, looking at about $1,500.00

He said if I had good spare unit, pull the damaged on off the car and replace it with the better unit, the cost to oil, regas and fit a new orifice tube would cost about $160.00 all up.

He reckons no need to change the accumulator. Still good he reckons.

I'm just about ready to remove and refit the other unit some time this week.

Apart from the thermo fan assembly unit and tensioner belt, is there anything else I need to dismantle prior to removing the problem aircon compressor?

Another Question ...with reference to replacement unit, would it be a good idea to have the seals replaced and bearing prior to reinstallation?

If so, who would be the people I can approach regarding replacing seals and bearings?

Cheers, Peter

Post subject: Re: Aircon Compressor on AUII
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

I would try and get a compressor from a Car that still has the Gas in it. You will know has no leaks, and there will have been no moisture getting in to damage it. Be careful when removing it, as the Gas requires caution. I myself wouldn't touch it, changing seals and bearings is more likely to cause problems IMO.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The AU Uses the same compressor on both the i6 and the V8.

The compressor is also available new for $350 odd for a Sanden Compressor
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Sand ... SwFGNWTZcO

With the AU - it would be worth replacing the orofice tube at the same time as these regularly block up.

It is worth inspecting your old compressor and orofice tube before doing any work - the FS series of compressors are known for failing, but working, and pumping alloy slush around your AC system.

Nigel

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Took my car to a place that does aircon regas etc, bloke went over it and said he suspects the compressor is / has been leaking gas as there is bugger all gas left in the system.
A leak needs to be confirmed - pointless replacing the compressor if the leak is elsewhere. Mind you, the compressor has most likely been run for long periods with little lubrication due to low gas.
He said if I had good spare unit, pull the damaged on off the car and replace it with the better unit, the cost to oil, regas and fit a new orifice tube would cost about $160.00 all up.
Provided there's no rubbish still floating around the system - as Nigel's said, a damaged compressor will throw some around - the new orifice tube can block up again, causing the pipeline downstream the freeze up, and this will be easy to see.

He reckons no need to change the accumulator. Still good he reckons.
If it's not been changed for years and/or open to atmosphere (because of the leak) and had rubbish circulating through it, it would be wise to change it.

Another Question ...with reference to replacement unit, would it be a good idea to have the seals replaced and bearing prior to reinstallation?
Provided it has good suction and pressure when you turn the clutch plate, and has no obvious oil leaking, it'll probably last a few years. As mentioned, they do fail, go noisy, etc. The front shaft seal can leak over time. Costwise, go the new item rather than have someone reco the unit.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@ 96ELGLi

Thanks for your reply, I'm always careful when using gas, I'll be wearing special gloves so I wont get frost bite or burnt.

Yeah I know what you mean about getting one from a working vehicle that's still sealed, no way of telling what condition the system is in when they are from a wrecked vehicle, at least the pipes are sealed, oil is still in the system.

Might be wise if I can get some compressor oil to make sure seals and plates are covered with oil before assembling to vehicle.
*********************************************************************************
@ Nigel,

Thanks mate, good to know the compressor is the same for i6 and V8.
No probs, I'll make sure the orifice tube is replaced.

Not many places like to work on used or second hand compressors, like most things, its a throwaway society, I don't believe in throwaway unless its beyond repair.

I had a look at the site earlier, still big dollars for a compressor.

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@ snap0964,

No worries, I'm always sceptical , it could leak elsewhere. I ran a scan some time ago and DTC came back as Low Gas.

Probably better with a new compressor , some of the prices are bit high for me at the moment, so I'll be shopping around for a better price on ebay.

I'll also replace the accumulator to be on the safe side as well as the orifice tube.

Cheers, Bondy

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You need to find where the actual leak is, purge/flush the system with the old components in place to get rid of any rubbish if evident. Fit your new components, evacuate/oil/gas the system.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@ snap0964,

That was the idea, but the person I took the vehicle to did not seem to be willing.

I'll take it to another place and see if they can find where the leak is at.

The bloke I took the car to for checking was going to put gas and dye in the system to see where the leak is but never done it, just came to some conclusion saying the compressor is leaking (without proper testing).

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I looked at a youtube video of a person saying its waste of time flushing the muck out of the condenser as the tubes are very small.

The person demonstrated this by cutting away a section of the condenser and tried to blow air through it with his mouth and no wind came through, the holes are small and had some blockage.

In all fairness he suggested to have the condenser replaced as well as the orifice tube, chances are even if you put a new compressor on the system, it too will become cruddy and build up with slush.

That's on my to do / get list.....new condenser, new orifice tube and new receiver / dryer to be safe.

Second hand compressor I have is ok, had it checked by a mob in the city that services all aircon compressors.

Cheers, Peter

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]