Fordmods Logo

ALOT of Heat coming from Engine Bay 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: ALOT of Heat coming from Engine Bay
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey all,
Im starting to get a bit concerned with the amount of heat that's coming from the engine bay,
Firstly after a 20min drive, EVERY part of my engine is boiling hot (unable to touch)
Secondly In the cabin of the car, Im getting alot of hot air coming through (not necessarily the vents), Along with around the gear stick and inside the center console (underneath the head unit), It gets that hot, that my ipod that sits there gets untouchable...
Can I get some advice as Im not sure how to tackle this...
cheers
- Ash

*Coolent is new
*Temp is half way
*Car is quick to heat up

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

is your thermostat opening ?

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Car is at normal operating temp so I don't think it would be anything to do with coolant.

My car heats up pretty quick too. When I installed my extractors the car ran so hot that my accelerator and cruise control cables melted.

Do you have extractors on your car? if so I think the extra heat from it without the heat shield can cause the engine bay to heat up much quicker then it should.

Heat transfer through the gear stick is usually normal, I used to get that in the manual on a hot day as well as now on my manual. Not too sure about the dash though.

Has this been happening recently during the hot summers days? If so, that is a main contribution to the heat.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XG Ute

VIC, Australia

iv been getting the same thing, my steering gear is starting to suffer from it as well, it only really started when i replaced all breaks at the start of melb warming up, but even on the cooler days its getting very warm, and my engine temp gauge says its running cooler then normal coz i got a bull bar and more air is getting across the radiator (dont worrie its all covered by mesh and is safe from bugs and other foren objects.

all components of the engine get real hot and stay hot for ages after car is shut off, its making me nervious coz of the damage it might cause sitting there hot turned off but even if u let it idol for a period of time after it still doesent cool down at all, if anything gets hotter!

Its On Like Donky Kong!
Dont take life too seriously, coz ur not goana make it out of it alive!
Pain Is Tempory, Glory Is Forever.
Who Dares Wins.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

block cat could be heating up the exhaust

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XG Ute

VIC, Australia

think ur on to somthing, coz mines been playing funny buggers for a while, ill change it and see how we go.

Its On Like Donky Kong!
Dont take life too seriously, coz ur not goana make it out of it alive!
Pain Is Tempory, Glory Is Forever.
Who Dares Wins.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont ED

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Car is at normal operating temp so I don't think it would be anything to do with coolant.

My car heats up pretty quick too. When I installed my extractors the car ran so hot that my accelerator and cruise control cables melted.

Do you have extractors on your car? if so I think the extra heat from it without the heat shield can cause the engine bay to heat up much quicker then it should.

Heat transfer through the gear stick is usually normal, I used to get that in the manual on a hot day as well as now on my manual. Not too sure about the dash though.

Has this been happening recently during the hot summers days? If so, that is a main contribution to the heat.

phong =P~

sorry to go offtopic, but how did u solve the problem after getting the extractors?

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

jjohnno wrote:
phongus wrote:

phong =P~

sorry to go offtopic, but how did u solve the problem after getting the extractors?

I haven't :lol: engine bay still runs hot. Got to get some measurements for the top exhaust bolts as well as the size of the cover. Going to take it to work and then get them to take their "spare" stainless steel sheet metal to make me a heat shield cover :D gotta love work.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah bit contribution could be the extractors, I got JMM, and really gets the heat going on hot days (inside the cabin), but even on really cold days the heat still comes in...
What would it cost to get a heatshield made up? would anyone want to group by some nice shiny ones?!
- Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]