ANY GAS INSTALLERS HERE 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: ANY GAS INSTALLERS HERE
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

im fitting lpg to the EL IL6

LPG mechanic reckons they have to fit an adapter under the ISC and reroute the PCV -- whats the deal with this

and i also need to know how to isolate the injectors (which wire to cut and does it feed anything else eg ISC/PURGE/TPS ETC) when gas is selected - i reckon i got it sorted but i would like to verify

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

See the thread on here "ef safe from thieves"

I posted a kill switch diagram, but its also where you can cut the injector wire common positive. See also, that it supplies positive to the ISC, so you'll need to cut the ISC positive, and supply it back to the cannon plug so that it remains uninterrupted regardless of whether the injectors have power.

The PCV stays where it is, so does the hose connecting it to the plenum.
What gets moved is the fresh air hose at the firewall end of the rocker cover. It normally allows fresh air from the throttle body to enter the cover, where it is scavenged by the PCV into the plenum. If the car is on LPG, this would suck lpg vapour into the rocker cover, and a small blow-by spark would send the cover into your bonnet.

The hose at the firewall end gets rerouted from the cover to a clean air source, such as the airbox, or on the outer wall of the mixer (depending on the system). Just make sure its tapped to a spot that has no lpg vapour in the air stream.

And don't forget to plug the hole on the throttle body where you removed the hose.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Don't forget to replace your stock plastic PCV valve with a metal body one. A backfire to a stock unit could cause it to drop it's guts - makes for some terrible foreign object damage to the valve/rocker train, or to the front timing area.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thanks EBGizmo - the wiring is a bit different on the EL - A big square plug not a cannon type but thats what i did - found common 12v +ve spliced to gas/petrol relay and rerouted 12v +ve to isc - i was unsure if it feed anything else

on the adapter plate under the isc i remember reading a post a while ago about it but ill be stuffed if i can find anything on it but i will most certainly be ensuring no vapour gets into the rocker cover :shock:

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Don't forget to replace your stock plastic PCV valve with a metal body one. A backfire to a stock unit could cause it to drop it's guts - makes for some terrible foreign object damage to the valve/rocker train, or to the front timing area.

DONE AND DUSTED thanks anyway

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

I've seen the little white adapter they add on most factory LPG's on my frequent trips to the wreckers (Trying to source an EL intake was impossible - cabbies climbing over you left right and centre! :P). Don't know what it does tho, but its so thin and tiny, I guess it just measures how much air is being bypassed to fine tune something. Stuffed if I know what :)

EF II Sedan

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ill have to double check but im sure he said he was gonna reroute the pcv to there (an adapter plate under the isc) and reroute the one near the firewall to a clean source

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:27 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

wtf...

In my ea

My LPG system is simple and controled by a LPG computer... there is only a few wires I need to cut, the red injector wire, and 2 wires near the computer, i think they are to do with the o2 sensor and maybe ISC i dunno...

anyway I have a pipe from above my filter in the airbox to the back of my converter, then my mixer ring has 1 pipe to it, the gas feed from the coverter...

whats this remove things off rocket cover ect

even if i chose the 225mixer option as im running a ring... its practialy the same although i run 2 pipes to the mixer from the converter

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:43 am 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

I hope your crankcase vent hose has been plugged in that case, or you might get a nice bang one day.

EF II Sedan

Post subject: Re: ANY GAS INSTALLERS HERE
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:14 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
im fitting lpg to the EL IL6

LPG mechanic reckons they have to fit an adapter under the ISC and reroute the PCV -- whats the deal with this

The reason the PCV hose is moved from the manifold to below the ISC is so the LPG mixture is not leaned out in Number 2 & 3 cylinders at idle.
Running on petrol it does not matter as the manifold is full of air- no fuel
Running on LPG the manifold is full of fuel and the PCV hose supplies air to the port between cylinder 2 and 3 -Thus making 2 and 3 leaner than all the other cylinders.
Station-rat 8-)

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

EBGizmo wrote:
I hope your crankcase vent hose has been plugged in that case, or you might get a nice bang one day.

nope it isnt, so if it does ill be happy

my motor blowing up wouldnt matter :)

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

is the adapter plate available as a part - if so where from & how much & part #

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:32 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

The adaptor plate is avaible from ford as a spare part
Station-rat 8-)

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

try some installers first to see if you can pick up a machined aluminium item, the ford plastic one can get brittle over time and crumble near the front causing it to leak.

why do u write in here.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]