Fordmods Logo

anyone want to lend me a valve compressor tool? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: anyone want to lend me a valve compressor tool?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

hi guys, finally getting around to installing the cam i bought s/h from here on the 28th (uni exams finally finished... :D ). went to buy a tool to compress the valve springs so i can swap them but repco want 130$ for one, which is more than i paid for the set of performance springs i am putting in lol :(

so... wondering if anyone around the bundoora/preston area has one they could lend me? i;ll buy you a 6 pack of favourite beverage or something like that :D

http://www.davewilson.cc/Boat/JetBoat1/ ... ressor.jpg

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL gli

WA, Australia

Hey mate, I got mine from auto one for like $30.

Keep looking around, you should find something cheaper.

GL with the swap. :D

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:50 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

#1 i assume thet the head is still on the car.

You will also need the valve hold up tool. Its like a spark plug adaptor with a valve on it. Alternate method is to stuff rope down into the chamber.

I have an AM-PRO compressor. Same as LISLE. It has an over-centre cam in it so once set, you have to crank the handle in one clean motion. They are a prick to work with but you will get the hang of it. The "tangs" often slip off the spring. I used a hose clamp around the tangs to prevent them slipping out under load.

Took me a while to get them all off. (Took me a month waiting for the springs to get isotropically treated.) Then, later, I had a tough time trying to get the springs back on. Since my head was already off the car after being reco'd i just took the whole lot back to the reconditioner for assembly with my shiny new Crow springs. Took less than 5 mins to do all of them with his pnuematic valve spring compressor.

FWIW i would almost just wear the cost of a new headgasket and bolts instead of the pain of changing them "on car".

I'm in Thornbury and i would loan you the tool under the premise that if you bust it you replace it.

ABW also do a spring compressor that looks like the one you posted. The top of it is a threaded handle. Whatever you do don't get one that has a plastic handle!

The other tool you pictured is a valve lever. I always thought i'd make one of those out of an old tire-lever. Problem is that you have to lever off the rocker gear and that isn't a good idea.

Anyway i'm on 0417507875 if you get desperate for the equipment.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

hey guys thanks for the replys... i'll check out a few other shops and see if i can find something cheaper! i was going to do it using the move cylinder to tdc and put some rope in there method, i;ll see how it goes... hoping to get it done in a day :O so i can drive the car to work that night... but i can always borrow a housemates car if it goes to s**t i guess :D

i'll give you a ring if i dont work something out aaron!! thankyou!

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL gli

WA, Australia

Yer I recon the rope way is the way to go, use needle nose pliers or something to make it easier. Do it at TDC then rotate the engine 60 degrees and do the next 2 cylinders then 60 degrees once more and do the last 2.

It is a pain, I done 2 cars in 2 days. But once you get in the rythm then your all set. BTW I got an all metal valve compressor, except the bottom washer broke the first time I used it. So I just had to hold the bottom section together while there was no pressure on there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]