Fordmods Logo

Are these valves reusable? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Are these valves reusable?
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED GLi

SA, Australia

Gday yet again

So after taking my Tickford head apart I've been looking for things that might be signs of something wrong and things that need replacing. So far I've come across one valve, and only one valve, that is very very resilient to coming out of its guide thing. Upon further inspection I discovered that the guide has been scored inside, presumably by my efforts to remove it (yes I know I'm stupid :( ) Here's a picture of the valve guide:

When the valve is fully up in there however I can't see any issues, it slides well enough.

Next up is this exhaust valve seat, I believe this engine has been sitting a while.

just some crust as far as I can tell but yeah, I'll give it a wizz with the brass wheel tomorrow.

All my valves and springs together:

Do these valves look f'd to you? I'm not sure whether this pitting matters or not.

Next up is there any way to restore these springs (really light corrosion) Also are these standard to XR6/ Ticky engines?? they're double springs

Could they be aftermarket?

Cheers guys :)

Post subject: Re: Are these valves reusable?
Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

When a valve doesn't want to come out freely, you file the collet grooves with a very fine file, give it a wipe, then remove it.
This can be a sign that the collets aren't gripping the grooves properly.
That is what I meant by are the collets touching at the ends, and you can spin the valve around easily.
There should be a small gap in the collets.
By the looks of that head, been wet & full of water, I'd be taking it to an engine reco shop, and get them to go through it.....replace those valve springs....any pitting in the spring will be a cause for breakage......and pitting on the valve stem will also be a cause for breakage.
There is more to valve seats than just lapping them....there is a thing called Valve Seat Width.....too narrow, doesn't seal too well.....too wide, and again, doesn't seal too well, and a chance for debris to be caught in it.
The exhaust seats are known for pitting in normal use, too.
If the seats are worn quite a bit, then the 'Installed Height' of valve changes....and the installed valve spring seat pressure is also changed.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
When a valve doesn't want to come out freely, you file the collet grooves with a very fine file, give it a wipe, then remove it.
This can be a sign that the collets aren't gripping the grooves properly.
That is what I meant by are the collets touching at the ends, and you can spin the valve around easily.
There should be a small gap in the collets.
By the looks of that head, been wet & full of water, I'd be taking it to an engine reco shop, and get them to go through it.....replace those valve springs....any pitting in the spring will be a cause for breakage......and pitting on the valve stem will also be a cause for breakage.
There is more to valve seats than just lapping them....there is a thing called Valve Seat Width.....too narrow, doesn't seal too well.....too wide, and again, doesn't seal too well, and a chance for debris to be caught in it.
The exhaust seats are known for pitting in normal use, too.
If the seats are worn quite a bit, then the 'Installed Height' of valve changes....and the installed valve spring seat pressure is also changed.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah it has been wet and full of water prior to being sent to the wreckers that I got it from. I was reading up on valves and from inspecting mine I think I'll be fine with them. I'm lucky my valve stems have no pitting too, they're all pretty polished looking :) Probably going to get some valve springs off an EL XR today.

cheers

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Are these salvageable or should I just find new valves?

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Nuh....you have a few paper weights there now.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
Nuh....you have a few paper weights there now.

LOL, well put! :P

Now does anyone know where I can get valves for a ticky? these are different to the ones found on a normal motor aren't they? sigh...

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tickford exh valves are larger 41mm instead of 39. intake is the same. http://precisionintl.com/Part.aspx?ID=14370&EID=998 http://precisionintl.com/Part.aspx?ID=31459&EID=998

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]