Fordmods Logo

AU bottom end EL head? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: AU bottom end EL head?
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:02 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I've got a low compression issue with my EL Fairmont Ghia, I've found a brand new AU bottom end for sale in the box for $1300 but I'd like to reuse my EL head with all the CMS goodies done to it, is it possible?

Or would I just be better off getting my current engines honed, new bearings and new rings and put back together?

Thanks much guys.

Post subject: Re: AU bottom end EL head?
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

it'll work fine, just run all the EL cam and rocker gear. No worries.

Gab

Post subject: Re: AU bottom end EL head?
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

You will need to have the AU sump and alt (or is it AC? I forget..) bracket modified to suit the EL. Just do a search on AU engine into EF/L for more info, as it's not a straight bolt in and drive away job.
But as mentioned previously, the EL head will work fine with the AU bottom end as long as you use the EL rocker gear and cam.

Actually here is some better info on what's required courtesy of SWC.

Quote:
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/dropping-a-naked-au-engine-into-an-el-t96815.html

Things reqired to fit AU engine to EF/EL

1) sump needs to be modified to fit K-Frame, you can cut and weld the K-Frame but that is up to you, will need engineering after being cut. You cannot use an EF/EL sump as the sump is totally different to AU.

2) Need to use AU/BF alternator or you will need to modify the block and drill and tap mount points to mount the EF/EL alternator.
If you use an AU I alternator you will need to change the plug for the alternator to one from an AUI as these are different from the Mitsubishi alternators.
Note: Believe that the AUII & III and BA alternators have the same plug as EF/EL.

3) Remove the block where the Dizzy (EL) or cam sensor (EF) goes and remove the gear from the shaft and fit to your Dizzy (EL) or Cam Sensor (EF). This will then mean that the gears are matching and you should have no issues, there have been issues with dizzys failing when this has not been done. Some modding will be requiered to use the existing mount point, extra notch/gring Cam sensor.
Note:Do not try and drill hole in existing EF position on AU block, you will drill through the block.

4) You will need to use a EF/EL thermostat housing as these have your temp sensor and AU housings do not.

5) You will need to use the EF/EL BBM as the uppers are different to the AU. Also us the EF/EL throttle body as some of the plugs are different to the AU.

6) Use the EF/EL wiring loom.

7) You will need to tap the block with an M12 1.5 tap if using the EF/EL Knock sensor. If using the AU sensor you will need to modify the plug.

8) a) You will need to cut the EF/EL AC pump mount spacers down to 30mm to suit the AU block as well as shortening the bolts by 10mmm if using the AU alternator to suit the standard serpentine belt.
b) If using the EF/EL alternator with modified mounts you will not need to cut down the mounts and be able to use the standard Serpentine belt.
c) Alternativly you can use the AU alternator , standard AC spacers and a Serpentine belt from an XH (Slightly longer).

9) Use the EF/EL power steering pump. This is a direct bolt up. The AU pump hose connection is different to the EF/EL.

10) You do not need to change the Harmonic balancer for either EL (Dizzy) or EF Coil Pack.

11) If fitting to EF you will need to use your original Coil Pack or an AUI coil pack as these are different to AUII & III. (different plug)

12) you can use the AU head or fit you EF/EL head, that is up to you.

Hope this helps.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]