Fordmods Logo

au cam in e series 

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: au cam in e series
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

hey guys, just bought a au cam for my el, I done hours and hours of research on here before buying it, and everything led me to believe that it would work as long as I ran AU rocker gear with the AU cam, and never to mismatch them..

so I did exactly that, dropped the new cam in, dropped in perfect no hassle, AU rocker gear bolted up no worries,
wound the engine over by hand with the spark plugs out before I put it all back together to ensure no vavles are going to touch pistons, wound over perfect, happy days, put it all back together, installed the J3, hit the key and it just wound over.. it sounded like the starter was just spinning and not engaging, till i got the missus to turn the key and i saw the crank still rotating and oil pressure building whilst cranking (I only just got home from work before i started doing the swap.. so oil was still warm).. so i assume no compression? theres no "chug chug" so to speak.. sounds like a fan..

chain tensioner is all good, I know how to work that s**t. lol.

thought maybe the j3? pulled the j3 out and tried again.. same deal.. smarklock light also flashes normal..

I dont understand?.. now I have to get up super early tomorrow to put my cam back in before i have to goto work at 6..

does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
cheers,
Tait

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Post subject: Re: au cam in e series
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

when you tightened down the rocker gear, did you still have freeplay on the rockers? or did the rockers hold the valves open?

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

rockers sat down nice.. no freeplay at all.. same valves were open as the original cam too..

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You should be able to push down and collapse the lifters on some of the arms. Could you?

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so your saying the lifters should compress a little between the arm and the spring?

they were all tight..

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

As far as im aware they should

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
so your saying the lifters should compress a little between the arm and the spring?

they were all tight..

Did you bleed the lifters down before fitting them?

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

honestly.. no.. I wasnt aware I had to.. have never "bled lifters"..

could that have been the cause?

any other suggestions for me SWC? :)

also put my xr6 cam back in this morning before work and It started up within 2 rotations, like nothing was ever wrong.. I did the swap back exactly the same as the swap to the new cam.. it definetly had next to no compression on the new cam.. after I put my xr6 cam back in I was flat out turning it with a 3/8 drive ratchet.. wound over easy with the au cam and the same ratchet..

Last edited by Falcon96XR6 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

how do I bleed the lifters down?

I forgot to mention the rockers are from a Hybrid EL engine, but they run AU rockers? i know its au, has yellow links, 96dt stamped and have the timing dot and the line on the cam sprocket.. rockers also look different from my E series ones, also ran the standard hybrid xr6 cam.. I have the eng on the floor in my shed.. was in the el at one stage and ran fine..

I never removed them from their rocker arms.. just did the sticky tape trick and removed the whole lot from the hybrid engine and dropped itonto my e series head with new au cam..

sorry just trying to tell as much info as possible so we're all on the same page..

cheers, Tait

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Push a small philips head screw driver into the lifter a squeeze, oil will bleed out. You will then be able to compress the lifter. I use jewlers screw driver to bleed down.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thanks heaps SWC, much appreciated,

i went out and checked my AU rockers.. i think i may have found the problem..

the HLAs Intake #1, & #6, and Exhaust on #1, #4, & #6 sit like this :

and the rest sit like this :

sorry for the crap photos.,. taken on the phone..

they wont push in further ill have to take them out and clean them etc,
would this have caused the vavles to stay open enough to not have ANY compression??

im willing to try swapping them again.. have you seen AU rockers and AU Cam in a Eseries head??
i havnt kissed valves and people seem to say it works..

thank you
Tait.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:49 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Why are you wanting to put an AU Cam onto an E series Head?

Your car is a 96 EL so it isn't hybrid.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I know its not hybrid, but I have a hybrid engine with a blown HG in the shed on the floor that I took the rocker gear off, I researched for hours and hours and heaps of people of here have said that they have seen it done.. AU cam in EF/EL heads with the matching AU rocker gear, and also EF rocker gear and cam in a AU head..

so I assumed it would work.. the seller of the cam even said it would work aslong as I use AU rocker gear..

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Quote from Troyman.. sorry to drag you into this Troy.. haha

TROYMAN wrote:
i have seen au heads with ef cams using ef rockers and ef heads using au cams and au rockers..
but those that i know of that have mixed and matched au cams with ef rockers have ended in disaster...

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:14 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
Quote from Troyman.. sorry to drag you into this Troy.. haha

TROYMAN wrote:
i have seen au heads with ef cams using ef rockers and ef heads using au cams and au rockers..
but those that i know of that have mixed and matched au cams with ef rockers have ended in disaster...

I didn't say it couldn't be done, I just asked why.

The cam you were sold, what is it? Is it a regrind? Is it AU XR?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next