Fordmods Logo

AU clacking noises 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: AU clacking noises
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I just got my AU Falcon back from the mechanics today because I just got the rear wheel bearings, steering rack and all suspension components redone.

My mechanic also did a transmission service changing the seals, the cooling system was also reworked, and most seals (front, rear and harmonic) were replaced on my engine as it was leaking oil pretty badly.

Anyway, there's this strange chain like noise coming from where I think is the drivers footwell (or behind it anyway), and the tempo increases as I accelerate. I even went to the effort of getting few other passengers to tell me where they heard the noise coming from and they all pointed to the drivers side.

I did hear it (the noise) before I got the car fixed, but now it's slightly louder?

I got into another AU Falcon wagon my friend has and it made the exact same noise... except smaller in sound and not as loud as mine.

It sounds like a chain pulling on a bicycle when you dont pedal and let it go freely... that light clack, clack noise.

I know the AU has a timing chain, but I doubt that would be it? It doesn't sound like valve tappets either because they go tap-tap...

I did some inspecting as well, and the only thing in the area of the foot well is the exhaust & cat. I know that it was removed to change the steering rack.

I do know that my center exhaust has a hole in it and that my rear one is heavily corroded [getting both replaced soon] :(

I just want to know what is this annoying chain like noise? Two Falcons i've tested make the same noise, but mine is louder.

Other than that, my AU is perfect in every other way. :)

Post subject: Re: AU clacking noises
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

exhaust leakage.. can sound bad before it gets 'loud'

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]