Fordmods Logo

au engine build 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: au engine build
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:45 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr8 ute and soon xh v8 ute

WA, Australia

Gday i am currently in the process of rebuilding an au short block to put into my ef xr6 im on a bit of a budget so wanting to use good secondhand parts and new parts where i can i am building this engine for boost and wanting to make huge streetable power out of it my ef xr6 has a dev4 kit so i am going to refresh the head and clean it up then put it on the au block once the au engine is finished
i managed to get a short block for cheap from the wreckers im wanting over 600rwhp at the wheels
what sort of engine combo will be best suited to make this kinda of power?
Can i use typhoon conrods and later model ford parts to keep costs down or would i be better off looking after market range all help and opinions are greatly appreciated cheers guy and gals

Post subject: Re: au engine build
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

ok so you want 600+rwhp on a budget and good second hand parts...
ok mate no probs :roll:

and ensure your budget includes
+ transmission
+ engine management
+ diff

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

its got an au lsd diff in it that seems pretty tight and the g/box was rebuilt recently as well so both of those are pretty good its got a twin plate heavy duty clutch so that should support plenty of power i would of thought

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

if you want 600rwhp budget around 20k

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It will definitely won't be a cheap project.

Even if the gearbox has been rebuilt, has it had any upgrades to be able to handle 600rwhp? Diff might be tight, for the current power you have, but might not be strong enough. Add to that, you will need a stronger tail shaft over the stock.

You said streetable, I would not consider 600rwhp a streetable car, especially on a car without adequate braking or traction control, you'd lose the back end quiet readily, but that's just my opinion.

When you say you are in a bit of a budget...what dollar figures are you talking about here?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

i dont have figures as such but i know that i would like to use new parts where i can but stick to good second hand parts when i say streetable i should really say registered lol i found a bottem end rebuild kit brand new forged internals for $2090 bucks with spoolimports rated at 1000 horsepower but it will take me a while to save that up curious of i could put ba -fg f6 typhoon or xr6 turbo conrods in it?? would they be capable of huge power? and what sort of pistons would be recommended to run in it along with oil pump and all the other stuff required?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

oh and what sort of turbo would be recommended my one that i have is rated at 400hp im wanting one rated at 1000hp

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:10 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Drapes54 wrote:
i dont have figures as such but i know that i would like to use new parts where i can but stick to good second hand parts when i say streetable i should really say registered lol i found a bottem end rebuild kit brand new forged internals for $2090 bucks with spoolimports rated at 1000 horsepower but it will take me a while to save that up curious of i could put ba -fg f6 typhoon or xr6 turbo conrods in it?? would they be capable of huge power? and what sort of pistons would be recommended to run in it along with oil pump and all the other stuff required?

If it's going to take you a while to save up for the bottom end, it will be a long time before you can get everything for a complete motor with turbo, cooling, intake etc.

I'm not sure with the conrods, however I have heard even the dedicated LPG motors had some XR internals, not sure if it was conrods/pistons or the whole assembly though. Power wise, I can't see stock internals reaching your goal of 1000hp maybe 500hp...reliability would be compromised.

Can't help on the turbo.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

im aiming for around 600hp if possible

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

start writing your list:
custom CP pistons
Scat Rods
main and head studs
cam, valve springs, valves, retainers, collets
head work
machining
dummy assembling
deck the block
final assembly
injectors
engine manangement system
fuel system
transmission controller

turbo + plumbing + intercooler, boost control can be done via ecu, wastegate

like i said above be prepared for 20+ for your 600+ hp at the end of the day unless you plan on just using stock internals and settling for around 300-400hp -

I built the motor in my TT EL with std pistons, egas rods etc and that went consistent 12.2 at 114mph with stock trans, stock converter, 3.08 diff ratio, aftermarket management and e85.
check out shiftkits.com.au/gallery
but to step up from here there is more cost involved - trans needs to be upgraded possibly t400 or c4, diff, axles etc you cant just go throw a 600+ hp motor in and expect everything behind it to hold up.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

ok so considering my car is a manual with an au 3:45:1 lsd diff in it what sort of power would be more suitable to aim for id like somewhere in the 500+ horsepower range what sort of clutch would be ideal for this set up would i need to change my diff to something stronger? what size turbo would be ideal for that sort of power as well mines rated at 400 but wanting more then 500 so whats gonna be the way to go in that side of things?
cheers guys

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

it also has a worked head in it so i dont need to do anything to the head just make sure its still in good condition

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]