Fordmods Logo

AU falcon head gasket issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: AU falcon head gasket issues
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hey Everyone,

I've been having a problem with my AU series III ex-taxi falcon (604,000KMs on the dash) lately in regards to the engine. I think the engine has blown a head gasket. The other day I inspected the oil to see if it needed topping up and I looked carefully at the dipstick under shade and I saw it had a white streak in it! *eep*
I then took the oil filler cap and check around the filler hole and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, but then I flipped the oil cap over and then I saw it again, milky coloured liquid with bubbles in it. Great, water's getting in the oil.
Not once have I forgotten to top up the water or anything like that! Coolant has always been full and I change my oil on its due service rounds as well!
But then again, I did buy it second hand and I'm not sure about what the last owner did (had the car since Christmas last year).
It doesn't blow any white smoke or alike, but if I rev it hard, I'll see a nice grey cloud out the back of my car . That might explain why my exhaust tip is corroded maybe?

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't worth it to get the head machined and gasket replaced because this engine leaks too much oil from the front main seal, and its done pretty high KMs (it's a second engine, 300K KMs+ according to the last owner).
So I've been scouring around for engines and I can get good ones for around $400 if I look hard enough and they come with warranties as well. Buying it isn't the problem, but transporting it and putting it in is because I don't have the time or skills to do so.

I'm wondering if there's any wreckers around Sydney that can sell and fit engines as well? I'm looking to spend around $1000 at the most on this?

And yes, I know some of you probably think I should throw my car out, but I've had the whole undercar reconditioned (suspension, steering, differential etc.) and it would be a complete waste of money if I threw it out now.

Thanks!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]