Fordmods Logo

AU Falcon temp gauge shows overheating 

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: AU Falcon temp gauge shows overheating
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

greetings all,

Got a problem which has got both me and Ford Service stumped...

During the summer days after driving for about 20 mins or so and turn off the ignition and then start er up after awhile, the car's temp gauge suddenly jumps from C all the way to H setting off the audible alarm that the car's overheating. This stays for about 5-10 seconds then the needle reverts back to normal operating temp.

I've taken it to the local ford dealer 2x and still they cannot fault the prob. 1st they replaced the thermostat, then they replaced the radiator cap. Neither have fixed the prob. Id be most grateful if anyone can help me with this problem!!

My car is a 98 AU Falcon Forte 4.0.

Cheers!!

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

But it's not actually overheating, right?

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

try a new temp sensor

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

my EF does the similar thing - i think it's due to the temp sender reading from the head (someone will confirm this) and it is not the actual water temp. once the cooler water hits the temp sender it will drop back down again, as is happening with yours! you'll find the less you leave it (eg 5 minutes instead of 15) the less the needle will have jumped up.

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks for the replies. It may certainly seem to be the problem as described regarding the cooler water hitting the sensor etc to make the temp go back to normal. The coolant tank is full so no loss of fluid or leaks that can be seen, so its definitely not overheating as the needle suggests.

The car certainly warms up alot faster than it used to from a cold start.... eg after 15 or so min of normal driving, the temp gauge will go from cold right up to mid range.

So should I replace the temp sensor to rectify this problem? Or are there other things which need to be done?

Many thanks for the help!

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I had this on my EL
Take the temp sensor out and give it a good shot of carby cleaner or something, give it a clean and reinstall. Or just replace it.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i'd replace the temp sensor.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:48 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

could someone please post a pic of the sensor in the engine bay and how to remove it??

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Post subject: Re: AU Falcon temp gauge shows overheating
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

almo899 wrote:
greetings all,

During the summer days after driving for about 20 mins or so and turn off the ignition and then start er up after awhile, the car's temp gauge suddenly jumps from C all the way to H setting off the audible alarm that the car's overheating. This stays for about 5-10 seconds then the needle reverts back to normal operating temp.

I've taken it to the local ford dealer 2x and still they cannot fault the prob. 1st they replaced the thermostat, then they replaced the radiator cap. Neither have fixed the prob. Id be most grateful if anyone can help me with this problem!!

Cheers!!

Hi Mate,

I've had a problem with my EF after an accident. I was told the radiator was replaced and after that the temp gauge was heading for the middle soon after starting, it used to sit around the first quarter of the gauge close to the cold area. After checking everything I eventually took the radiator to Natrad to have it checked our and they found that it was 3/4 blocked, didn't quite overheat but got close. After I put a new radiator in I haven't had anymore problems, temp guage is back to normal. Cheers

Post subject: Re: AU Falcon temp gauge shows overheating
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

falcongli wrote:
almo899 wrote:
greetings all,

Cheers!!

Hi Mate,

I've had a problem with my EF after an accident. I was told the radiator was replaced and after that the temp gauge was heading for the middle soon after starting, it used to sit around the first quarter of the gauge close to the cold area. After checking everything I eventually took the radiator to Natrad to have it checked our and they found that it was 3/4 blocked, didn't quite overheat but got close. After I put a new radiator in I haven't had anymore problems, temp guage is back to normal. Cheers

same thing with me flushed the radiator 3 times still got hot when i turned the car off replaced the radiator and all is good gets to half even on hot days when i start it back up after sitting for a few mins

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Farimont

NSW, Australia

i thought the au took the engine temp from the back of the head not from the thermostat housing.

1997 Ford EL Fairmont
Blue Dash Mod
Red LCD mod
Full Alpine Sterio
Pedders Super Low Sports Rider Suspension
CSA avenger 17x8 (235/45 front) (255/40 Rear)
DBA slotted Rotors (front & Back)
EBC Greenstuff pads (front & Back)

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

You can not cook an AU. The sensor is at the back of the head. They are approx $60 to $70. Anyway, the AU cannot cook because the ECU picks up the temp from that sensor and starts to cut back the spark, but not the fuel, on the cyl's, in a random like effect, so as not to foul the s/plugs.
So you will notice the drop in performance when this happens.
If the temp is up, it should be checked with an Infra red ray temp gun to confirm whats going on.
The AU's were notorious for the Instrument clusters to stuff up. Replace many under warranty. This shouldn't be discounted either.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Just bought a new sensor and after removing the old sensor from the rear head... found it doesnt match the one i bought and does not fit into the existing hole. The sensor i bought was a short stubby one with a pointy end. The old one i have is just a very long screw with a plug on the end. :cry:

However, upon inspecting the old sensor, it still looks in very good condition. I just cleaned it with a cloth and put it back. Will see how the car runs tomorrow.

For now the prob remains when after driving for 20 mins, turn off car for short while and restart. But its when i restart that i get the prob. The longer i leave it, the more likely the needle will jump from C to H for few seconds.... unless i leave the car for 2 hrs or so to let it cool. The car is full of coolant and no leaks, so it cant possibly be overheating??? :?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

When ya were filling the coolant ya made sure ya had the cap off witht he car idling unitll it got to opertaing temp,
maybe be something simple but can be overlooked

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
You can not cook an AU. The sensor is at the back of the head. They are approx $60 to $70. Anyway, the AU cannot cook because the ECU picks up the temp from that sensor and starts to cut back the spark, but not the fuel, on the cyl's, in a random like effect, so as not to foul the s/plugs.
So you will notice the drop in performance when this happens.
If the temp is up, it should be checked with an Infra red ray temp gun to confirm whats going on.
The AU's were notorious for the Instrument clusters to stuff up. Replace many under warranty. This shouldn't be discounted either.

Spark retardation isn't used on the EGAS models.

I am still getting overheating issues in the ute ... and have tested with an IR Ray temp gun ... when hot it is reading 118 deg C at the back of the head. The temp rise is consistent with the readings through the Scantool as well.

I am still stumped with it ... as I have a new radiator ... hoses .. thermostat ... water pump ... now has a low km engine it ... new thermofans as well. Had the new radiator flushed as well ... and the entire cooling system has been flushed as well. No loss of coolant either.

It is fine cruising along ... but once on a decent incline and loading up the auto ... it starts heating up ... even moreso with AC on.

Also has a brand new auto in it ... and I am running a large auto trans cooler as well.

I am buggered if i know what is causing it ... bring on winter I say ... then i won't have the problem anymore.

Also if it really is overheating (and you have an auto) ... the auto will go into limp home mode when it gets too warm (ie: lock in 3rd gear).

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next