Fordmods Logo

AU I6 fuel regulator pressure - bar to kpa 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: AU I6 fuel regulator pressure - bar to kpa
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Anyone know the pressure of the fuel regulators in the AU I6's?

I have a fuel rail with regulator from an AU VCT - says "3,5 bar" (why does it have a comma between the two numerals?).
My EF XR6 one is 300 kpa.
Used the conversion on this site - http://www.microsolvtech.com/calculators_pres.asp#pres .

Quote:
kPa: 300 converts to
bar: 3.0000

So that means the two regulators are different pressures?

Trying to figure out if this is going to cause me any dramas with the fuel side of things, the ECU wouldn't be set up for a different pressure fuel regulator.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Doesnt make sense though. 300kPa goes to 3.0000 bar but 3.0000 bar goes to 300,000,000kPa.

On this link HERE it says

Bar to kPa is bar*100.00=kPa
kPa to Bar is kPa*.01=Bar

But the comma in the middle may be american or south american where it is actually a full stop. EG one thousand five hundred can be written 1.500 and one point five can be 1,5. So in that case it will be 350kPa.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

actually, americans use a ' to seperate numbers. so 150000 for use, becomes 150'000 for them. Makes it easier to see. The , is used in place of a decimal place though. so 3.5 bar is the same as 3,5 bar. 100kpa is a bar, 1 bar is a 100 kpa, so yes, you have a 350 kpa reg

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Bloody loosers and Bosch and Ford going to this effort to confuse me!
I guess it still means that it's a different pressure, EF/EL XR6/Tickford regulator is 250kPa at idle, and 300kPa at engine stationary. Says 300 kPa on the reg. Fair bit higher at 350kPa.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Wagon

WA, Australia

So does this mean that it will automatically put more fuel through or will the ecu take only as much as it needs?

ImageImage
EF XR6 Wagon,RPD R6 cam,Wildcat extractors, Magnaflow cat,2.5" Lukey exhhaust.
Too many more too list

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

EFXRWGN wrote:
So does this mean that it will automatically put more fuel through or will the ecu take only as much as it needs?

Well the ECU is set for a 300 kPa fuel pressure regulator (as it's a Tickford one, standards are 275 kPa). If I fitted this one (reg) which is 350 kPa, then there will be more fuel pressure in the line and fuel rail, so when the ECU tells the injector to open up, due to there being more pressure, more fuel will go throguh the injector, causing the car to run rich. I don't know how much auto adjustment there is maybe the ECU will shorten the injector opening to compensate if the oxygen sensor tells it that the engine is running rich, but I don't think the factory one is that smart to figure it out, or that it can adjust itself much...

Considering though I'm running the blower (or will be), and the rising rate fuel pressure regulator, if the car starts making boost from rather low this shouldn't be a big deal as it should eventually still find the rising rate reg being the cause of the extra pressure and not the higher factory reg. Or at least I'm hope so.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Wagon

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
EFXRWGN wrote:

Well the ECU is set for a 300 kPa fuel pressure regulator (as it's a Tickford one, standards are 275 kPa). If I fitted this one (reg) which is 350 kPa, then there will be more fuel pressure in the line and fuel rail, so when the ECU tells the injector to open up, due to there being more pressure, more fuel will go throguh the injector, causing the car to run rich. I don't know how much auto adjustment there is maybe the ECU will shorten the injector opening to compensate if the oxygen sensor tells it that the engine is running rich, but I don't think the factory one is that smart to figure it out, or that it can adjust itself much...

Considering though I'm running the blower (or will be), and the rising rate fuel pressure regulator, if the car starts making boost from rather low this shouldn't be a big deal as it should eventually still find the rising rate reg being the cause of the extra pressure and not the higher factory reg. Or at least I'm hope so.

The reason I am asking is that after installing an R6 cam my dyno readout says that I am running heaps lean. I have reco injectors new fuel pump and a brand new 300KPA fuel reg Was wondering if a bigger fuel reg might work if what you are saying is correct.

ImageImage
EF XR6 Wagon,RPD R6 cam,Wildcat extractors, Magnaflow cat,2.5" Lukey exhhaust.
Too many more too list

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

EFXRWGN wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
EFXRWGN wrote:

The reason I am asking is that after installing an R6 cam my dyno readout says that I am running heaps lean. I have reco injectors new fuel pump and a brand new 300KPA fuel reg Was wondering if a bigger fuel reg might work if what you are saying is correct.

I'd say so. The 3,5bar (350 kPa) one I have is from an AU VCT - on the AU's the regs are not removable from the fuel rail.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]