Fordmods Logo

Au II shuts down without warning 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Au II shuts down without warning
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

My au II 2000 manual ute will shut down when the the temperature is hot outside the car not when the car is hot .? I live in QLD so it's lots of fun in three lanes of traffic . From a cold start on a hot day if i drive for 20 mins stop it for 10 and go again i wont get 5 mins up the road and it will shut down as if shot . And it takes forever to cool down below Normal .i have replaced - radiator, coolant temp sensor thermostat, fuel relay ,fuel filter , coolant . On a cold day the thing is a rod , i love this car but am losing my mind and options on this . Please Help !

Post subject: Re: Au II shuts down without warning
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Something like that is very hard to find unless you were a mechanic or auto elec, If it were happening to me I would have a scope meter with me to test circuits when it stopped, but I am a mechanic, in your case It could be anywhere, but I would be replacing the crank sensor, and the main control relay, all the things you changed except the fuel pump relay would not stop the engine. If the coolant sensor failed open it would not stop the car, if it were an xf it would. Let the engine sit around till it gets hot and the fans come on and jiggle the wiring loom around it could be in a wiring plug. Or give it to a mechanic to fix.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Sounds very logical ,and i cant thank you enough for your prognosis . Had a few 'machanics' try and match thier skills with it, but some need a scanner to get outa bed ! Ha . Im really confused about how the days temp plays a part in this but it is the only consistent lead i can give . Like i said , on a cold day the car is a F1 ...Hot day vw beetle . Thanx Again .

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Can i ask a Plumbers question ...what is and where is a main control relay ? Done the crank sensor and now its got major miss if you give some . Done the teach me how to idle again thing . Its got no guts compaired to before . It's like bad spark lead miss . Ran out of daylight , still chasing the harness for obvious faults . Someone mentioned a scanner to erase previous faults ?? Dazed and confused .

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Have you touched the coil pack or plug leads since you changed the sensor, if you have you, you have put a couple on the wrong plugs. If it runs fine on light throttle and only misses when you tramp it it may be a lead or plug, if it feels like it is taking off in third gear and is gutless it is in limp home mode. Don't worrie about the control relay yet, get it running on six cyls again and see if it cuts out. Another little tip I forgot to tell, you when the engine dies look at the taco if it drops straight to zero you know it has lost spark instead of gradually dropping as the engine slows over seventy klm phr on the highway. If you had of came to my shop for instance, I would have said what problems are you having, in your case I would have connected up a scan tool and searched for information in the ecm that might have a bearing on the problem you have, disconnecting the battery erases all its memory and the scan tool will come up with nothing unless there is a hard fault code there. Did you touch The harmonic balancer on the front of the engine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]