Fordmods Logo

Au into EB engine conversion, Complete list of parts needed. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Au into EB engine conversion, Complete list of parts needed.
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hi guys, I joined ages ago but don't really post much on here just read heaps. Anyway my birthday is coming up and parents have agreed to buy an au engine for my ebs2 wagon. What I want to do is put the au engine in their with bbm and el ecu and run the serpentine belt setup. So I've tried to compile a complete list of ALL the things I need. I have read Troymans thread about a thousand times to get most of my info, but if I have missed anything please post it!

The list:
-Au engine
-El BBM (including air box etc.)
-El ECU
-Thermos
-Tensioner etc.
-El Ac comp
-vacuum release solenoid
-4 ecu pins to run extra wires
-Knock sensor
-El power steering pump
-El alternator
-EB distributor.

Now I probably have missed something but please feel free to add anything I have missed.

I also have a few questions about the conversion.
1)To run the serpentine belt system why do people run el accessories instead of au stuff?

2) What's involved in fitting au bbm instead of el, people say it can be done, but just leave it at that, what needs to be done?

3)Does the el ecu plug directly into my eb loom with the eb plug or does it need the loom side of the el plug as well?

4) Apparently the knock sensor goes where the coil would go is there any other special place for it to go or just wherever it fits?

Thanks, looking forward to your answers and help.
Mike

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: BUMP!

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

I have also done the AU motor conversion into my EB.

With the BBM. AU bbm by itself will work, howver the TPS and intake air sensors are incompatible to el ecu. So you do need to change the setup. You only need to source the top half of the manifold. THe bottom half in an au is the same as ef/el. There is no point ripping off the whole manifold. You can remove the top part easily. You can get either a EF or EL top part.

I'm not sure wot troyman was going on about with the knock sensor and coil location. Your au motor will already come with a knock sensor. You can mount the coil anywhere you'd like. I attached it to where the coilpacks are normally mounted. Works fine.

AU and EF/EL accessories are very similar. For instance I am using BA alternator, au power steering, ef aircon compressor. You do need to have an ef/el aircon compressor as the gas fittings are different on au.

Yes ecu will plug straight in. You just need to run the extra wires for thermos etc. You dont need to set up the vacuum thingy on the bbm at the start. You can just zip tie the valve in the below 3800rpm position. Works the same. Just add the vacuum thingy later on when you get the time and parts. (I as yet have not done so).

Belt tensioner should already be on the engine (unless the place ur gettin it from is stingy). Just use the dizzy in your eb.

Other than that you need to modify a couple of heater hoses. You'll understand what I mean once you do it. Make sure ur au engine comes with the metal heater pipe that runs around the engine. (once again u should get it unless the place is stingy).

With spark plugs. Use the ones the motor comes with or buy some to suit el. You also have to bolt your eb engine mounts onto the au motor.

Thats about it. Let me know if theres anything else you need to know.

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

bluecube wrote:

With the BBM. AU bbm by itself will work, howver the TPS and intake air sensors are incompatible to el ecu. So you do need to change the setup. You only need to source the top half of the manifold. THe bottom half in an au is the same as ef/el. There is no point ripping off the whole manifold. You can remove the top part easily. You can get either a EF or EL top part.

I'm not sure wot troyman was going on about with the knock sensor and coil location. Your au motor will already come with a knock sensor. You can mount the coil anywhere you'd like. I attached it to where the coilpacks are normally mounted. Works fine.

AU and EF/EL accessories are very similar. For instance I am using BA alternator, au power steering, ef aircon compressor. You do need to have an ef/el aircon compressor as the gas fittings are different on au.

Yes ecu will plug straight in. You just need to run the extra wires for thermos etc. You dont need to set up the vacuum thingy on the bbm at the start. You can just zip tie the valve in the below 3800rpm position. Works the same. Just add the vacuum thingy later on when you get the time and parts. (I as yet have not done so).

Belt tensioner should already be on the engine (unless the place ur gettin it from is stingy). Just use the dizzy in your eb.

Other than that you need to modify a couple of heater hoses. You'll understand what I mean once you do it. Make sure ur au engine comes with the metal heater pipe that runs around the engine. (once again u should get it unless the place is stingy).

With spark plugs. Use the ones the motor comes with or buy some to suit el. You also have to bolt your eb engine mounts onto the au motor.

Mate thats exactly what I needed, you are an absolute legend, thank you so much for taking the time to reply in such detail.

Thanks again
Mike

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No problem. Glad to help

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

You will need an AU alternator, not an e-series one.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

voxace wrote:
You will need an AU alternator, not an e-series one.

Oh ok then thanks man.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:16 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

bluecube wrote:

what do ya meen your not sure what i was on about with the knock sensor and coil???

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

just that in an eb the coil is bolted to the block. but not in the same spot at the knock sensor is in the au

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

would it b much harder to run an AU engine loom and run an AU pcm/coil pack? or an EF for that matter

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

xpression wrote:
would it b much harder to run an AU engine loom and run an AU pcm/coil pack? or an EF for that matter

I think it would be a fair bit harder because wouldn't that mean you would have to use all au interior and run the whole car with the au ecu?

Post subject: Re: Au into EB engine conversion, Complete list of parts needed.
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED Falcon Classic (project)

VIC, Australia

does anyone know how to do an au tickford vct engine conversion into an ed. i have have the engine fitted and most wires and hoses sorted out just a few bits and pieces i am missing if anyone has any info please email me stevo6669@hotmail.com or give us a call it would be muchly appreciated. thank you :)

Post subject: Re: Au into EB engine conversion, Complete list of parts needed.
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Did you need a miners permit for that thread mine? 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]