Fordmods Logo

AU motor into XH help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: AU motor into XH help
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

I love my XH ute, but although the I6 engine is a great motor I can't help but feel the EB2 version with the log manifold is letting me down. I know the I6 can give me more power and better fuel economy. A motor swap would be almost as easy as a BBM conversion (from what I have read) but I need a bit of advice before I start buying parts. So I'm looking at an AU conversion.

At the moment my engine is factory except for Pacemaker 4499s with a 2.5in exhaust (which I hope to keep). I have a tradesman 5spd manual.

Apologies for the few questions, but:
- Can I use the XH engine accessories (power steering etc) on an AU motor or do all the accessories need to be AU?
- Can I use the EF/EL parts on an AU motor if I can't use my XH ones?
- Which ECU do I need?
- If I get it tuned afterwards, does a chip mean I can use different parts (like the ECU) if some are hard to source?
- Is there a build thread I can follow for someone else who has already done this?

It's been hard to search for this cause the website takes out most of the key words, so sorry if it's a bit of a newbie post but it's something I'd really like to do. Thanks in advance, Tom.

Post subject: Re: AU motor into XH help
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Ok Some answers to you questions;

Q)- Can I use the XH engine accessories (power steering etc) on an AU motor or do all the accessories need to be AU?
A)- Best to use serpentine set up of the AU or EF/EL

Q)- Can I use the EF/EL parts on an AU motor if I can't use my XH ones?
A)- Yes, best to use an AU/BA/BF alternator as it is easier to set up and they are more readily available these days, If you use an AUI alternator you will need to change your plug, if you use AUII,AUIII,BA/BF you will be ok with the existing plug, but please check this.

Q)- Which ECU do I need?
A)- Your existing ECU will be ok if you are running a log manifold but if you convert to a BBM (Do not use the AU BBM, Use an EF/EL BBM) you will need an EL ECU Manual or do the resistor trick.

Q)- If I get it tuned afterwards, does a chip mean I can use different parts (like the ECU) if some are hard to source?
A)- Chip not required, EF/EL parts readily available.

Q)- Is there a build thread I can follow for someone else who has already done this?
A)- Yes, check Troymans thead on his AU to EA / ED or you can PM me for any info as I have done a few of these, AU to EB, EF, EL, havn't done one to XH though.

PS, Major tip, AU are coil pack so you will ne to use an EB/ED/EL dizzy, remove the drive gear from the oil drive off the AU and fit to your Dizzy, this will ensure that the gears match.

Paul

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Q)- Which ECU do I need?
A)- Your existing ECU will be ok if you are running a log manifold but if you convert to a BBM (Do not use the AU BBM, Use an EF/EL BBM) you will need an EL ECU Manual or do the resistor trick.

didnt want to start a new topic as my questions might help, but why cant you use the au bbm?
im currently doing an au to xg conversion, was planning on using el auto ecu and adding pins for the bbm solonoid and thermos.. or is it better to use an aftermarket kit to control thermos instead of the ecu??

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

thatrandykid wrote:
Quote:
Q)- Which ECU do I need?

Q) why cant you use the au bbm?
A) AU BBM has sensors in different spots to EF/EL and you would need AU loom, then of course you would need AU ECU and then need to run coil packs.
Q) was planning on using el auto ecu and adding pins for the bbm solonoid and thermos.. or is it better to use an aftermarket kit to control thermos instead of the ecu??
A) EL ECU will run EL BBM as well as EL Thermos, EF & EL Thermos are different. So you won't need an after market kit to run Thermos, use EL wiring loom for the whole engine bay.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

ok tell me if ive missed anything.. i can get a AU long motor and drop it into my 95 EF and everything in the EF will hook up?

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]