Fordmods Logo

AU oil leak 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU oil leak
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:47 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au falcon ute

WA, Australia

Hey guys , hoping someone can help me , I have a pretty bad oil leak on my ute . It's coming from right under the water pump but you can't actually pinpoint exactly where it starts , almost as if its coming from the waterpump but I'm not sure that's even possible . Please help guys . It's a series 1 au 6 cylinder Cheers

Post subject: Re: AU oil leak
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

check your power steering pump as its most likely dripping around or onto your water pump

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Sorry should have specified , its definately engine oil

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:59 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it could be leaking through the thread on the lower front power steering pump bracket that runs through the timing case into the block. or cam chain tensioner...

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon AUII XR6 HP

Power: 184 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i would almost garuntee it is your timing chain tensioner as they have a thing for coming loose over time and the o-rings go hard! i have recently done mine with 190000kms on the clock as it was leaking bit over a litre in 5000km as it has full pressure inside the case and i have also done a mates with the same issue!!

in order to fix it u will either need to obtain the tensioner adjusting tool from ford, get an adjustable grinding disc spanner or do what i did and use a pin punch and hammer and u will also need the 3 o-rings which you will see when u disassemble it.

first you will need to remove your intake, thermo fans, power steering pump (leave hoses connected and just move pump out of the road), power steering bracket and then u will be able to see the tensioner and hopefully the source of the leak! when i noticed the oil leak, oil had travelled around both sides of the engine and right down to the sump (which was a pain in the a*** to clean).

if the tensioner does seem to be the source, to remove it, u first need to crack the plug in the center and remove it, then remove the outer plug with which ever tool you choose (which i explained above) and the romove the tensioner which looks like a twisted bit of spring steel withe a spring in the centre (look up some photos of it if your not sure if you have got the lot out, the last part will have a guide which the chain runs in).

once all the components are out change the orings and then reset the tensioner befor you put it back in, which involves puting the components inside of it the twist it till it compresses right down then slide it back into its hole ensuring the guide goes on the chain properly. now put the outer plug all the way and then using a long 4mm allen key put it up the centre and into the end of the tensioner and adjust it out the first click, it will take care of itself after that and then put the center plug in!!

now all you have to do is put the rest back together! u probably dont need all thius but its here in case u ned it

Nathan

184 rwkw with more to go!

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Raptor1603 wrote:
i would almost garuntee it is your timing chain tensioner as they have a thing for coming loose over time and the o-rings go hard! i have recently done mine with 190000kms on the clock as it was leaking bit over a litre in 5000km as it has full pressure inside the case and i have also done a mates with the same issue!!

in order to fix it u will either need to obtain the tensioner adjusting tool from ford, get an adjustable grinding disc spanner or do what i did and use a pin punch and hammer and u will also need the 3 o-rings which you will see when u disassemble it.

first you will need to remove your intake, thermo fans, power steering pump (leave hoses connected and just move pump out of the road), power steering bracket and then u will be able to see the tensioner and hopefully the source of the leak! when i noticed the oil leak, oil had travelled around both sides of the engine and right down to the sump (which was a pain in the a*** to clean).

if the tensioner does seem to be the source, to remove it, u first need to crack the plug in the center and remove it, then remove the outer plug with which ever tool you choose (which i explained above) and the romove the tensioner which looks like a twisted bit of spring steel withe a spring in the centre (look up some photos of it if your not sure if you have got the lot out, the last part will have a guide which the chain runs in).

once all the components are out change the orings and then reset the tensioner befor you put it back in, which involves puting the components inside of it the twist it till it compresses right down then slide it back into its hole ensuring the guide goes on the chain properly. now put the outer plug all the way and then using a long 4mm allen key put it up the centre and into the end of the tensioner and adjust it out the first click, it will take care of itself after that and then put the center plug in!!

now all you have to do is put the rest back together! u probably dont need all thius but its here in case u need it

Nathan

This is what it will be........

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

front crank seal

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Agree with Raptor1603!Timing chain tentioner for sure!
Runs down and looks to come from lower (PS pump, Timing cover bolts ect..) and it doesnt help you cant see it untill you take the PS pump off

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

troymans still onto something with the timing cover bolts. it fixed my leak. and it would be the easiest place to start. then tensioner, then front main seal imo.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

I took the waterpump off because i wanted to replace it anyway, looked from underneath and saw it was coming from a bolt , sure enough it was the timing chain tensioner plug but i just tightened it up a bit cos it was fairly loose and problem solved cheers guys.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Cheapest fix ever. And a happy ending. :D

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

Hey, i got the exact same oil leak as well.

I was assuming that it was the front main seal.

But after closer inspection it really doesnt look like its coming from the front main seal.

Which bolt(s) did you tighten exactly???

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

So i tried to fix up the oil leak only things are now WORSE!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is leaking more oil than before :(

I removed the thermo fans & moved the Power steering pump out of the way as well.

Looked around & tightened up all the bolts that i could see around & in front of the timing case.

I must admit most bolts took around 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more to tighten up including the water pump bolts.

So anyways i thought that the leak should now be all fixed up only i am seeing that more oil is leaking now.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon AUII XR6 HP

Power: 184 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Is the leak definately coming from behing the power steering pump bracket???

184 rwkw with more to go!

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

its as if the leak looks like it is coming from under the water pump itself.

But there is nothing there to suggest its coming from else where.

I have tightened up all the front timing cover bolts & also the water pump bolts.

I even tightened up the VCT idler puller bolt just incase.

It is 100% engine oil & not hydraulic oil.

I am now thinking this timing chain tensioner plug or what ever it is.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next