Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: AU Performance mods High budget
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Trav199 managed 246 rwkw from a seriously-worked DOHC spinning to 6500rpm in front of a ZF 6-speed automatic, so it should be possible to get over 200 rwkw (about 330-350 hp at the flywheel) from a similarly worked SOHC....but it will not be cheap. :shock:

post1213703.html

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:52 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yes, and im pretty sure he spent over $15'000 to get that 245rwkw

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU11 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

well thanks heaps guys, has pointed me in the right direction. lots of food for thought

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Changed my mind, went to the speedway on the weekend and a number of guys have spent thousands on their cars and while they make quite a noise, they weren't quick. Pretty sure that's called overpowering the track. It would seem setup is 50% or more of your pace and getting out of the corners is essential THEREFORE how can i get the most Torque from an AU engine? It will still need to rev (probably get to just on 6,000 as it gets tipped into the corner) but i need to utilize that torque. Ideas?

also got onto a thread about individual throttle bodies. As far as i could gather they take away from down low and add to the top end? what other benefits are there to these and could they be used to increase the torque by any chance? IE back in the old go-karts days, a longer header gave more top end a shorter header gave more down low. does this principle (or something similar) apply to ITB?

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

torque at 6,000 rpm will equal a lot of power. Since power is torque times revs (to oversimplify the equation).

Longer intake runners generally give better low-mid torque, as for headers iirc it was longer primaries? if someone can correct that?

A friend of mine who used to speedway did this:

Get some copper pipe and make a coil that can fit a sturdy sealed tin can inside the coil. Freeze water in the can and attach fuel lines to either end of the coil, mounted inconspicuously. Fuel cooler. Helps keep your afr's in tune during a race.

Set up a second windscreen washer bottle in the engine bay with nozzles aimed at the radiator with a switch on your dash to spray water on the front of the radiator to keep engine temps down.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Get some copper pipe and make a coil that can fit a sturdy sealed tin can inside the coil. Freeze water in the can and attach fuel lines to either end of the coil, mounted inconspicuously. Fuel cooler. Helps keep your afr's in tune during a race.

Using copper for a fuel line is not a good thing.....it robs the RON of the fuel.
Alloy tubing would be better.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The basic rule for both intake manifold runners and exhaust header primaries is: the longer and smaller diameter the tube, the lower the revs where your torque peaks; the shorter and bigger the tube, the higher the rpm where the torque peaks. Thus, the Broad-Band Manifold on the EF onward: long runners used up to 3800rpm, switching to short runners above that. That's part of the secret to its broad, flat torque curve. The same rules apply to intake and exhaust ports in the head if you are planning head work. The subject is way more complicated than that (with 3rd and 4th harmonics, etc - frankly beyond me), but the rule does work.

If you are going to be at 3000 rpm or less coming out of the corner, you are going to need a really flat torque curve. You would not want either a "torque monster" that pulls stumps up to 4000rpm but has nothing above that, or a peaky revver that is still pulling hard at 6000rpm, but is dead below 3500rpm. There is no magic formula to achieve that balance, but there is heaps on Fordmods and elsewhere to get clued up. All the old hot rodding methods still work, so it doesn't have to be Falcon six specific. Read up on:
- increasing compression ratio
- cam (duration, overlap, LSA, degreeing)
- increasing ignition advance
- tuning air-fuel ratio (AFR)
- cold air induction
You will need to do some experimenting to achieve exactly what you want - if it's even achievable.

Just FYI, these guys make carburetor intake manifolds that they claim perform well in speedway applications:
https://www.aussiespeed.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=31

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Just FYI, these guys make carburetor intake manifolds that they claim perform well in speedway applications:
https://www.aussiespeed.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=31

I have seen these around and did consider it. a lot is still up in the air due to unknown costs of building the actual car. not much point having the powerplant if i dont have the car. from what ive seen a majority of cars dont drop below 4000rpm

Grimketel wrote:

a mate is currently doing this now. not sure if he is using copper coil though. and it just sits in an esky. no rules in the class against cooling fuel. did consider getting my hands on dry ice but that may be too cold haha

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

mikey_18 wrote:
If anyone knows of some engine builders worth seeing that are nearby Bendigo, Victoria that would help too.

They normally do boats but Nankervis's in town do some pretty serious custom engine stuff (502 blown southern 80 motors) Might be worth talking to. AED (advanced engine dynamics) in golden square/golden triangle would build a speedway engine too.

My suggestion would be take a relatively standard setup with your current, bolt on everything, then put a roots or screw blower setup on the intake. All the low down power you'd want, there are kits out there.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

You could buy a dohc barra motor for f**k all these days. I bought one for $50. Much better engine to start with. Though less head aches setting up a sohc motor

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The engine must remain N/A for the speedway class. its a shame i know.
yes the barra motors do seem to be quite cheap but as you said im trying to keep it simple. to be quite honest we already have a 250 crossflow thats mildly worked and im tempted to just throw that in. would be so much easier to work on

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2