Fordmods Logo

au timing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: au timing
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

can it be adjusted,i know it should'nt be,but my g/f's car is a gutless poo barge and it has no fault codes everything seems right,then i thaught maybe it has been altered.i havent checked it yet but if its onot right can i change it?
cheers

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Post subject: Re: au timing
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Yes it can but its not meant to be. The programming of the eec5 could be altered to vary timing or the crank position sensor could be altered and moved. These are unlikely unless the previous owner was someone who liked tinkering. These engines use Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS). Timing is controlled by the parameters from sensors fed to the ECU and calculated
by the ecu's software.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so i cant just move the sensor in the "dizzy" hole?

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
so i cant just move the sensor in the "dizzy" hole?

actually there is no sensor in the dizzy hole on au. just a dummy plug with the shaft to drive the oil pump off the aux gear..
that sensor thats normally on ef is on the front of the timing case infront of the aux gear which is a cam angle sensor..

Last edited by TROYMAN on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:03 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

As Troyman said no sensor in the old dizzy hole. This picture may help.

Attachments:
crank sensor small.jpg
crank sensor small.jpg [ 22.43 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i just looked at it for some reason i imagined it had wires.dont i feel silly now...
so any suggestions as to why its so gutless?its on gas with a mixer ring but petrol and gas are both gutless,it was gutless before it went on lpg and has been for as long as shes had it,i checked the cat on the weekend and its ok.it doesnt miss or anything,has a k and n filter and a tickford intake and 2 1/2 exhaust with 1 muffler. 3.23 diff.it never has any fault codes,the bbm is functioning and its no different if i tie the butterflies up or have them held down.im out of ideas.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:48 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

If its a Series 1 AU, check for a dirty crank sensor at the harmonic balancer and also a loose harmonic balancer. I'm thinking the fault is common to both LPG and Petrol so that rules out anything to do with Fuel pressure. Ignition is common to both fuel types. Coil packs are known to die on these models so thats a possible cause. Check your coil pack resistance and HT lead resistance. It may also pay to check your cam timing if you don't know the previous history of the vehicle.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]