AU VCT ENGINE SWAP 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU VCT ENGINE SWAP
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL FAIRMONT

WA, Australia

hey boys.

after having a recent splurge of ideas and throwing a bit more money at the car.

i got looking into power differences between models..never crossed my mind but the AU VCT motor is a great swap for the EF.

we have all seen the swap been done before. so we know it works apart from the sump problem which is solvable.

and im pretty keen to keep the car N/A for the time being :twisted: soooon raptor...sooon :twisted:

but what figures am i looking at for the motor to be dropped in proffesionally? and where can it be done in perth, i have seen wreckers advertise $1000 for motor plus fitment?

but who trusts that. i went to a wrecker shop yesterday, and im pretty keen on keeping my nice clean car out of there "state of the art" workshop for aslong as i can.

shouldnt be to hard to pick up a decent VCT..theres a guy on ebay who crates them with warranty for around $895 plus $250 shipping to perth. but i imagine i could find one in perth. an xr6 or fairmont hopefully will be rear ended soon :D

any help would be great. cheers

Post subject: Re: AU VCT ENGINE SWAP
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i would suggest a non vct au motor, yes you loose that cool white tickford badge, but you can actually put a decent cam into it, as far as i know there are no vct cams, well actually from memory you can cam them but you have to turn off the vct wich sorta defeats the purpose a bit.

tbh id get the AU short motor, chuck the ef head and rocker gear on it (preferably with some work done to the head) as it will give you the best of both worlds, au bottom end, and e-series cams, just another option for you to consider.

but yeah i agree after seeing how most wreckers take stuff outa cars there is no way in hell idd let one touch my far for removing and fitting a new engine.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its true that there are not really any cams for vct..

but you can have the vct connected like i have in my ed and it does work quite well..
ive got the vct solinoid connected to a rpm switch and it is active under 3000rpm and is de-activated at 3000rpm..
its pretty much how it works in the au..
it works similar to how the bbm switch works
while as stated your limited to the cam you can use but its definatly much better than a std ef enging in torque and top end power..

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

you have to love that tickford badging though :roll:

well there goes that crazy idea.

it was actually that e-series above that inspired me to do it :) nice work. very slick looking sleeper.

totally off topic...but anyone happen to know the stock exhaust size on an ef. i ripped off my rear resonator today and dumped it at the diff just for s**t and giggles until i get around to putting on the new system this w.e .

but i measured the inner diameter of the rear U-BEND like exhaust thinga-ma-gig and it measured 55mm? its a fairly new exhaust aswell, just a mercury system.

but thats just over 2inch already if my maths serves me well?

so am i already ripping off an aftermarket system? ( its not loud, quiter than a stock falcon if anything)

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

If you got the money, then get an AU motor (they rev harder) and fit an EF Tickford head (so you can get cam etc. no worries).

I'm guessing from your other posts that you're not looking to spend much though.

BTW are you on pertheseries.com ? If so, check out my car in the Registry and you'll get my opinion on various mods and what they cost.

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i agree!!!

Im on my second motor, and the first was just the 97 EL block with a 95AA.. when that died on me :(

I got a Hybrid block from a 8/98 EL falcon, and got a reco'd (with some work done on it) 94AD head.

You can really notice a difference in the hybrid block ... its like my friends AU3

Laticia.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

yeh money is a bit hard to come by at the moment im afraid.

but im still looking to slowly biuld up the car over the course of this year. few hundred here and there all adds up eventually.

sounds good. there was a VCT in the quokka this morning with 100,000kms for $600??

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Why not just put the VCT head on the EF block. I mean what do you want this car for? Are you going to drag race every car at every traffic light? If you are on a budget I dont see why this option would be a bad one, Im planning to do it myself.

troyman wrote:
its true that there are not really any cams for vct..

but you can have the vct connected like i have in my ed and it does work quite well.. while as stated your limited to the cam you can use but its definatly much better than a std ef enging in torque and top end power..

Troyman is right, If there is anyone on the forums who has a standerd AU XR6 with VCT and thinks it has no power what so ever then speak up.

I dont see there being much, if any differance in the blocks either. I mean a EF Gli and a EF XR6 have the same block.

Josh

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

i have a VCT motor in the EL, and a aftermarket cam, BUT at the moment am running a E series Grind on the AU cam. The VCT cam has been sent away to be reground, and once back will be spending lots of dyno time doing an edit and finding where the VCT likes to be turned off and on.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

speak up about what vct not having power? 4 kw's more and some nm's :roll: i have been done over many times by non vct falcons and i race any thing that moves,from a standing start i will put a car length on most things but on the run its even par with most other au falcons ba's and e series,dyno figures on this web site show that vct engines dont have more power and they dont run better times (in general) they are however a good version of a great engine and like troymans falcon would make a wicked street car you get to start off with an already tweeked top end the rest however is all the same,my car has run 15.0 at 96 mph and was dynoed at around 190 hp so its no power house even modded,you can however see on the dyno sheets were the vct does its thing making the power come on a bit quicker.

Attachments:
DYNO XR6.JPG
DYNO XR6.JPG [ 14.95 KiB | Viewed 6329 times ]

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

dont forget that your carrying arounnd extra weight with the IRS. Mines a manual, and to be honest it will do most V6 AND 5.O0 Litre commodores, same with the falcons.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Autofast2 wrote:
speak up about what vct not having power?

I was just saying by what rushed and summersnl were saying. I like the VCT idea and i have located one for $650 (whole motor). I am more inclined to do a compleat swap than changing the head on the EF

Autofast wrote:
i race any thing that moves,from a standing start i will put a car length on most things but on the run its even par with most other au falcons ba's and e series

I dont care what you race mate, I personaly dont see the point in it. I was just mearly pointing out that the VCT is a good motor and if you replace a stock EF motor with it, you would see some gains.

Clearly you misread me and thought I was bagging the VCT out.

Josh

Last edited by XR-Lane on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:48 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

my point is you can gain the 4 kw easily on a normal 4.0 and save the engine swap thats all. vct deserves to be bagged out its a bit of a gimmick really.well if there is anybody who has a stock vct and thinks its a power house please speak up. when i am driving my car a little hard it doesn t go into those rev ranges were the vct works anyway,so your going to go to the shops and say "my car is so nice driving at 60 -80 kays i am glad i got the vct model" maybe some would, but i would guess the bloke putting the motor in and doing all the work wouldnt.any its a silly argument going no were you would put the vct motor in and later when you mod it more disconnect the vct or better still put valves,springs and a cam in another head.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:11 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Autofast2 wrote:
my point is you can gain the 4 kw easily on a normal 4.0 and save the engine swap thats all. vct deserves to be bagged out its a bit of a gimmick really.well if there is anybody who has a stock vct and thinks its a power house please speak up. when i am driving my car a little hard it doesn t go into those rev ranges were the vct works anyway

so you dont rev your car past 3000rpm??

well i dont know about the vct being a power house..lol
stock for stock the std au engine and the vct s**t on the early engine..
compared to the ef engine that was in my ed with all the ef acessories tickford el ecu,ect .
and the same set up on the vct engine in the same car s**t on the old engine in smoothness,performance and drivability..
maybe only by a few kw..
but it enough to notice the difference..

and of course if you spent extra cash on the non vct head and put a different cam in you will easy out perform a std vct..
in my case the bang for buck was better using the vct engine compared to using a std engine..

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

over 3000 rpm is what i ment,i disconected my vct and it was the same up top so its working down low, if i give my car a hard time its not really using the vct,so you dont think a decent spec cam in a normal au motor would be similar performance to the vct engine? just as an idea.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next